testtest

Cheap AR build, yes or no?

BassCliff

Professional
Hi,

I get emails from PSA all the time. I've bought ammo and a few other bits from them. I like to do a lot of window shopping too. I see ads like this fairly often...

1679985818491.png

Now, could I snap together this upper and lower, screw on some sights, and have it range ready? The lower says "complete" and the upper has the bolt carrier group and charging handle. Would it need anything else? Would I have a not-too-terrible entry level AR15 for about $500?

No need for a complete AR build thread. I'd just like to know if these two items can get the job done. If not, what's it missing? Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi,

I get emails from PSA all the time. I've bought ammo and a few other bits from them. I like to do a lot of window shopping too. I see ads like this fairly often...

View attachment 38105

Now, could I snap together this upper and lower, screw on some sights, and have it range ready? The lower says "complete" and the upper has the bolt carrier group and charging handle. Would it need anything else? Would I have a not-too-terrible entry level AR15 for about $500?

No need for a complete AR build thread. I'd just like to know if these two items can get the job done. If not, what's it missing? Thanks!

BassCliff
Yes.

That’s a nice lower. EPT trigger is pretty sweet. I would probably pick a different PSA upper though. I’d get one of their premium uppers. Those are FN barrels. Even if you have to buy a charging handle and BCG separately. Standard charging handle is like $12 and PSA often puts their BCGs on sale for about $60.

That’s not to say there’s anything wrong with this upper but…..

I've built a few using that psa lower when it was on sale for 129 combined with three different Bear Creek uppers.
both he psa lower and the bear creek uppers have performed well. Fit and finish on the bear creek uppers were very good but i did find a loose screw on the hand guard. i always completely disassemble clean inspect lube and reassemble to make sure everything is in order.

A "cheap" AR is better than no AR, no? Although not my favorite or "best" rifle, I still like my cheap AR...

I've had a 16" PSA-15 for several years and they're not half bad to be honest, it's been working fine with any kind of ammo and mag combo, handle guard, RDS, LPVO, bipod, light, flash hider, suppressor I've thrown at it. It's decent quality, not the best but makes a decent secondary rifle...

PXL_20230301_125711736.jpg

Hi guys!

Cheap....no can do. Low cost is a can do
Yes, slap those two together and you will have a complete AR, just add sights.
Yes.

That’s a nice lower. EPT trigger is pretty sweet. I would probably pick a different PSA upper though. I’d get one of their premium uppers. Those are FN barrels. Even if you have to buy a charging handle and BCG separately. Standard charging handle is like $12 and PSA often puts their BCGs on sale for about $60.

That’s not to say there’s anything wrong with this upper but…..
I've built a few using that psa lower when it was on sale for 129 combined with three different Bear Creek uppers.
both he psa lower and the bear creek uppers have performed well. Fit and finish on the bear creek uppers were very good but i did find a loose screw on the hand guard. i always completely disassemble clean inspect lube and reassemble to make sure everything is in order.
My Son just purchased a "Freedom" series complete upper and lower kit from PSA. He should be assembling everything this week. Reviews are quite good for PSA products.
A "cheap" AR is better than no AR, no? Although not my favorite or "best" rifle, I still like my cheap AR...

I've had a 16" PSA-15 for several years and they're not half bad to be honest, it's been working fine with any kind of ammo and mag combo, handle guard, RDS, LPVO, bipod, light, flash hider, suppressor I've thrown at it. It's decent quality, not the best but makes a decent secondary rifle...

View attachment 38109

You guys are the bomb! Thank you for your time, your thoughts, and recommendations. You guys are seriously cool. :)

BassCliff

Hi guys!

You guys are the bomb! Thank you for your time, your thoughts, and recommendations. You guys are seriously cool. :)

BassCliff
Welcome to the endless Tinker Toy called the AR.
You’ll buy it and change your mind in accessories, parts and such 1000 times and make the rifle over 1000 times.
Just to say “perfect” thats how I want it.!!!!

Then you start over when you see more parts on the net …. 😆😝

Hi,

View attachment 38105

BassCliff
Yep. Pop them together, add sights, and you should be good to go. It’ll do the trick for 99%+ of AR users.

PSA has good quality, budget friendly rifles.

View attachment 38109
Is it really cheap or just low cost! Cheap can cause issues, but low cost can function fine unlike cheap.

I have an AR that has a PSA upper and lower and I really like it. You’ll quickly decide on sights, charging handles, foregrip, etc. PSA actually offers some pretty good triggers in their lowers. Make sure to peruse them. I just SBRd mine and put a 10.5 inch upper on it.

Hear that? That’s the sound of @Bassbob turning over in his grave again.

I have an AR that has a PSA upper and lower and I really like it. You’ll quickly decide on sights, charging handles, foregrip, etc. PSA actually offers some pretty good triggers in their lowers. Make sure to peruse them. I just SBRd mine and put a 10.5 inch upper on it.

Hear that? That’s the sound of @Bassbob turning over in his grave again.
I’m not actually dead yet. Well, I’m dead inside.

The PSA EPT trigger is a couple pounds heavier than my Hiperfire, but every bit as smooth. The EPT has just a fuzz of creep and a very short, crisp reset.

When I built my last AR I used the PSA EPT B5 SOPMOD lower parts kit. I was going to buy another Hiperfire trigger for it but I liked the EPT so much I took the Hiperfire out of my AR pistol and put it in the new AR and put the EPT in my AR pistol.

For the money, I looked into PSA and with CMMG being high end darned too expensive for a complete upper. But I’m holding out and hoping to find someone with a factory SA upper to retrofit my Saint pistol to a rifle.

“It takes a lot of time and money to look this cheap, honey,”​

Dolly Parton, Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business

One of my customers is an AR fanatic. He swears by PSA and has built (and owns/shoots) at least a dozen different mods of PSA AR's.
They probably make more ARs than anyone in the country. I have used their lowers and their BCGs and I got no complaints. I'm sure their uppers are fine too. Especially the Premium ones with FN barrels.

Another lower tier company putting out decent stuff ( uppers at least) is Bear Creek Arsenal. I have one of their side charging .223 Wylde uppers. Stainless Steel fluted barrel. It's a tack driver. I also have a 10.5" 5.56 that shoots very nice groups.

Back