testtest

Prodigy Questions -

dadoser

Elite
I know very little about 1911s or 2011s -

Handled a 4.25" and 5" Prodigy at a LGS today.
The 4.25 slide was smooth, but that 5" slide was ridiculously smooth - very clear difference.
Is this due to the springs in each model - i.e. is this normal across any/all models of Prodigy between 4/25 and 5" models?
Or is this just the difference between these 2 individual guns?

Are the initial issues with Prodigy all worked out? (I know I can send it back and SA will take care of me - but for the money, I'd like to not have that hassle.)

With the bull barrel -
How or what does one need to supress it?
Threaded barrel and what else???

Thanks in advance for any knowledge or perspective.

Stock the Prodighy uses a 9lb spring in the 5in and a 14lb in the 4.25. That may well account for the difference in the feel of the slides. There are those who feel that the 5 in is under-sprung and that the slide reciprocates better on the 4.25. I have a 12 lb recoil spring in my 5in Prodigy.

I think when it comes to SA working out the bugs on the Prodigy it’s Never Say Never. There are people who have recently bought Prodigies and had to send them back to SA, and there are people like myself who bought one the first weekend they were available that have run flawlessly. I can certainly vouch for mine and based off of my experience would recommend either Prodigy without hesitancy. If you did have to send one back, most Prodigies are getting turned round in about two weeks.

To suppress the Prodigy you will need a third party barrel as DA does not offer the Prodigy with a threaded barrel. There are services out there for having your barrel threaded but I can’t speak to the quality of their work.

If you are unfamiliar with 1911s, double stack 1911s and 2011s I would recommend you do your homework. They are fantastic guns, but not without their quirks. They are certainly not as simple to shoot and maintain as some of your polymer pistols and they are heavy. However, heavy brings its own host of benefits like lower recoil.

This year seems to be the year of the 2311, 2011 and the double stack 1911 with versions that use P320 mags, Glock mags, bespoke mags. I would certainly check out all of these options before jumping on a Prodigy. If you do go for a Prodigy you will have a gun that will pay you back in spades if you put the time into it.

Everything that @SimonRL said, just wanted to add my own experience since I've tried both versions.

I have the 5" and my father has the 4.25". I got mine first and it only took him one magazine down range to convince my father he needed one too. :LOL:

We both agree the 4.25" is slightly more snappy then the 5".

I'm running the stock 9lb spring with no issues. I did have to send mine in, but I only had a handful of FTF's in 500 or so rounds, though I got mine the first day they released last September so it was a first batch. 10 days there and back including shipping time on SA's dime. It's been flawless ever since.

1911 DS / 2011's are, like Simon said, different, but in so many good ways. It's the smoothest pistol type I've ever personally used. Not all of them have a bull barrel, but the bull makes it even better.

Stock the Prodighy uses a 9lb spring in the 5in and a 14lb in the 4.25. That may well account for the difference in the feel of the slides. There are those who feel that the 5 in is under-sprung and that the slide reciprocates better on the 4.25. I have a 12 lb recoil spring in my 5in Prodigy.

I think when it comes to SA working out the bugs on the Prodigy it’s Never Say Never. There are people who have recently bought Prodigies and had to send them back to SA, and there are people like myself who bought one the first weekend they were available that have run flawlessly. I can certainly vouch for mine and based off of my experience would recommend either Prodigy without hesitancy. If you did have to send one back, most Prodigies are getting turned round in about two weeks.

To suppress the Prodigy you will need a third party barrel as DA does not offer the Prodigy with a threaded barrel. There are services out there for having your barrel threaded but I can’t speak to the quality of their work.

If you are unfamiliar with 1911s, double stack 1911s and 2011s I would recommend you do your homework. They are fantastic guns, but not without their quirks. They are certainly not as simple to shoot and maintain as some of your polymer pistols and they are heavy. However, heavy brings its own host of benefits like lower recoil.

This year seems to be the year of the 2311, 2011 and the double stack 1911 with versions that use P320 mags, Glock mags, bespoke mags. I would certainly check out all of these options before jumping on a Prodigy. If you do go for a Prodigy you will have a gun that will pay you back in spades if you put the time into it.
Thank you so much for taking the time with the reply and info. Much appreciated. That helps a lot.

Everything that @SimonRL said, just wanted to add my own experience since I've tried both versions.

I have the 5" and my father has the 4.25". I got mine first and it only took him one magazine down range to convince my father he needed one too. :LOL:

We both agree the 4.25" is slightly more snappy then the 5".

I'm running the stock 9lb spring with no issues. I did have to send mine in, but I only had a handful of FTF's in 500 or so rounds, though I got mine the first day they released last September so it was a first batch. 10 days there and back including shipping time on SA's dime. It's been flawless ever since.

1911 DS / 2011's are, like Simon said, different, but in so many good ways. It's the smoothest pistol type I've ever personally used. Not all of them have a bull barrel, but the bull makes it even better.
Thank you for the reply and added/great information. Much appreciated.

To add context to my original post/questions -

A group of guys I shoot will all seem to be gravitating toward Staccatos. I've shot theirs and enjoyed the experience.

I'm looking at the Staccato and any comparable options. Looking at the Prodigy, Platypus, Bull Armory SAS II. Looking more at 4.25" barreled models. I know Staccato has the reputation of being the gold standard at the gold price - but I'm trying to figure of if the Staccato bang is worth the buck vs other options.

(No 1911s in the safe - in the 90s I shot and still have a couple 3rd gen Smiths. Normally I shoot - Walther PDP, Sig P320, or Glock 19. EDC is P365XL. Not looking to carry a 2011.)

Thoughts????

I haven’t met anyone who has shot a Staccato who hasn’t liked it. But then I can say the same about my Prodigy and my 226 Legion. Personally, I’d take the 226 over the other two for the same reason everyone likes a 1911 - all metal frame. I am not a big fan of the polymer grips. But back to the Staccato - I think the big decider is budget. A well sorted Prodigy is going to go round for round with a Staccato, so can you deal with the smack talk you’ll get from your Staccato wielding buddies?

I like the BUL SAS II a lot but I want to run a red dot and the optic ready version is $1800. That gets me another 226 Legion with a Romeo 1 Pro on it and I have change leftover which goes into the fully auto MP5 fund. I would just need another $44,700.00! 😎

I haven’t met anyone who has shot a Staccato who hasn’t liked it. But then I can say the same about my Prodigy and my 226 Legion. Personally, I’d take the 226 over the other two for the same reason everyone likes a 1911 - all metal frame. I am not a big fan of the polymer grips. But back to the Staccato - I think the big decider is budget. A well sorted Prodigy is going to go round for round with a Staccato, so can you deal with the smack talk you’ll get from your Staccato wielding buddies?

I like the BUL SAS II a lot but I want to run a red dot and the optic ready version is $1800. That gets me another 226 Legion with a Romeo 1 Pro on it and I have change leftover which goes into the fully auto MP5 fund. I would just need another $44,700.00! 😎
I'm good with the smack talk - that's all part of the fun.

I just need to shoot a prodigy.

If...or at this point, I'm pretty sure When, I go down the 2011 route - definately will need a dot on it - with aging and astigmatism in both eyes.

In March I went down the MP5 route with both a Century Arms AP-5 and AP5-P - Form 1'ed them and also added binary triggers - that full auto MP5 dream has been deferred.

Thanks again for all the info/perspective.

AJFCJaVEg7OxpFNHhWGSyWvO5Z8T4mlfTx0W6L0QBeNpuPMzAoOqmGm-rw2bIwzCz-rvVO9lTVqZUJFlfH38eq-F8x4BiE2x_Ya5lCki1w5WpyHXbw_hnmC7RPp1WhqVDcghqv9ydZgxyssIGd7o2KHnN1JZZl4dwrTDJkfi8jY8z-0NJVIMEjtuAuYfzXgdPYoHcsyeJJHqwJM_nhEFQ90Z_7Ey3AXimUd7IqWBDJJINBm3qd__oBQyirJkOEMAHBi7XR_Aa6VEUeGV5FFs37Lo0KQ2G4kmNVs2gGT8ne56mhpEfulkcVP4JifILjkhyIOBXhVN2wvWG0ZpYjmIZ73WuZp186d1j7TJdLcJxgA1waT7nLAGjAdQm1rwvEIe8siUC4AjvcasRuLWuNmzHDK9a6OozDK4qWj7AML_R4hoG-bM4OlHBfQ88pdrgSedG1EBx6qK5vNq4_95AOnqQSh6nEhG3ihl71mUjo_y0z9XLcVq_GY7FEbISTRDeUJZ-tw0dD4OGI8v7bUEQcZ3n_GsqCIeF9xlX1jDIXNYj0TQ9ukSj55ocqRn1ZlFXMakVtxNi6kSvaTtGhAzNcnWHG0DgPpBM2Q-oKN59BCayk_tpO6nRQlGPUnhQ8D2uLfyoRpQTE8ptOD4FKMqGmVO_XAkopcjywJmoHXdOyaAMIfc2LLXQpIvORU8E2Qlg17CToekA8_zS8v5EmfvhqkiwEGDorgWUlj40G3iWc8o21K-AAbXAd57BILFZgvm9plKDg-R8EU6HVKowHci4ofWiJ3JTe17qUKkae8mEzhpi3Ub9VDNxKYZU0wbSnJKe5mhCZXM9GfK6MA3hUB7CkHpAsgGxwvF2XbUDpYRkZfYfd47IjH9fp0PnZC-wPe3ThK9qtOl84I7zXiwnSPBoDwnY9z8UynlJ9s=w978-h734-s-no

To add context to my original post/questions -

A group of guys I shoot will all seem to be gravitating toward Staccatos. I've shot theirs and enjoyed the experience.

I'm looking at the Staccato and any comparable options. Looking at the Prodigy, Platypus, Bull Armory SAS II. Looking more at 4.25" barreled models. I know Staccato has the reputation of being the gold standard at the gold price - but I'm trying to figure of if the Staccato bang is worth the buck vs other options.

(No 1911s in the safe - in the 90s I shot and still have a couple 3rd gen Smiths. Normally I shoot - Walther PDP, Sig P320, or Glock 19. EDC is P365XL. Not looking to carry a 2011.)

Thoughts????
All good options, but be careful. Some of them are all aluminum frame and much lighter, which results in them being more snappy as a result.

The Staccato P is steel, heavier, and smoother to shoot, as is the Prodigy.

I tried a Staccato C and C2 and did not like either of them - too snappy for me compared to the P and the Prodigy.

All good options, but be careful. Some of them are all aluminum frame and much lighter, which results in them being more snappy as a result.

The Staccato P is steel, heavier, and smoother to shoot, as is the Prodigy.

I tried a Staccato C and C2 and did not like either of them - too snappy for me compared to the P and the Prodigy.
Thank you. Appreciate you sharing your experience - If Stacatto, I was looking at the C2 or the P.

I'm good with the smack talk - that's all part of the fun.

I just need to shoot a prodigy.

If...or at this point, I'm pretty sure When, I go down the 2011 route - definately will need a dot on it - with aging and astigmatism in both eyes.

In March I went down the MP5 route with both a Century Arms AP-5 and AP5-P - Form 1'ed them and also added binary triggers - that full auto MP5 dream has been deferred.

Thanks again for all the info/perspective.

AJFCJaVEg7OxpFNHhWGSyWvO5Z8T4mlfTx0W6L0QBeNpuPMzAoOqmGm-rw2bIwzCz-rvVO9lTVqZUJFlfH38eq-F8x4BiE2x_Ya5lCki1w5WpyHXbw_hnmC7RPp1WhqVDcghqv9ydZgxyssIGd7o2KHnN1JZZl4dwrTDJkfi8jY8z-0NJVIMEjtuAuYfzXgdPYoHcsyeJJHqwJM_nhEFQ90Z_7Ey3AXimUd7IqWBDJJINBm3qd__oBQyirJkOEMAHBi7XR_Aa6VEUeGV5FFs37Lo0KQ2G4kmNVs2gGT8ne56mhpEfulkcVP4JifILjkhyIOBXhVN2wvWG0ZpYjmIZ73WuZp186d1j7TJdLcJxgA1waT7nLAGjAdQm1rwvEIe8siUC4AjvcasRuLWuNmzHDK9a6OozDK4qWj7AML_R4hoG-bM4OlHBfQ88pdrgSedG1EBx6qK5vNq4_95AOnqQSh6nEhG3ihl71mUjo_y0z9XLcVq_GY7FEbISTRDeUJZ-tw0dD4OGI8v7bUEQcZ3n_GsqCIeF9xlX1jDIXNYj0TQ9ukSj55ocqRn1ZlFXMakVtxNi6kSvaTtGhAzNcnWHG0DgPpBM2Q-oKN59BCayk_tpO6nRQlGPUnhQ8D2uLfyoRpQTE8ptOD4FKMqGmVO_XAkopcjywJmoHXdOyaAMIfc2LLXQpIvORU8E2Qlg17CToekA8_zS8v5EmfvhqkiwEGDorgWUlj40G3iWc8o21K-AAbXAd57BILFZgvm9plKDg-R8EU6HVKowHci4ofWiJ3JTe17qUKkae8mEzhpi3Ub9VDNxKYZU0wbSnJKe5mhCZXM9GfK6MA3hUB7CkHpAsgGxwvF2XbUDpYRkZfYfd47IjH9fp0PnZC-wPe3ThK9qtOl84I7zXiwnSPBoDwnY9z8UynlJ9s=w978-h734-s-no
Are we related? Here’s mine.

IMG_5713.jpeg

Central Texas Gun Works in Austin has a Full Auto MP5 for a paltry $48,000 if you are so inclined =)

You know what this means right ? This means I am gonna do whatever I gotta do to get an actual MP-5 just so I can one up you.
That's kind of funny.
I was posting in an MP5 group and made a reference to my (Century Arms/MKE) AP5 being a clone.
I got a couple interesting replies -

"A ptr is a clone. Dakota too. Mke bought the rights, the tooling, the tdp they are made per original under license. No one would call an M1 Garand made by Winchester a clone of a Springfield Armory."

"Nobody talks about their AR’s being clones. I think it’s wild that people consider that non-HKs are clones."

I can get behind those perspectives. :D

That's kind of funny.
I was posting in an MP5 group and made a reference to my (Century Arms/MKE) AP5 being a clone.

"A ptr is a clone. Dakota too. Mke bought the rights, the tooling, the tdp they are made per original under license. No one would call an M1 Garand made by Winchester a clone of a Springfield Armory."

"Nobody talks about their AR’s being clones. I think it’s wild that people consider that non-HKs are clones."

Dakota..

“Shudder”

That's kind of funny.

I think the clone talk is to keep the HK purists happy. That way when you complain about your clone not working they can gloat and say “ Shoulda bought an HK”. Certainly with the MKEs I don’t think the clone tag applies because they’re made on HK tooling - albeit aged tooling - by a military supplier. My AP5-P had the occasional FTE when I first got it and I replaced the ejector and spring with HK ones and it has run flawlessly since.

Bottom line - if you’re running an MP5 of any kind you get massive street cred.

Back