testtest

Why I Carry with an Empty Chamber — Should You?

He said "training" on more than one occasion. The Israelis do it, as well as so many others do EFFECTIVELY... Stop with the chest-beating egocentric B.S.! TRAINING PEOPLE, and most of us need a lot more of it. Thank you and I'll see my way out. :)

How do you train to carry with an empty chamber? Draw, point and then practice telling the target, "hold on, I'm almost ready?"

With every hammer piece, I carry with hammer down on a loaded chamber. I have trained countless hours to thumb the hammer back during the draw. It’s worked quite well during several incidents. Cocked and locked is an accident waiting to happen. Sorry, Jeff Cooper.
That works with an external hammer, but internal hammer and striker-fired guns don't have that option. The author is talking about a Hellcat, which requires two hands or something to rack on.

jvRcxm.gif

He said "training" on more than one occasion. The Israelis do it, as well as so many others do EFFECTIVELY... Stop with the chest-beating egocentric B.S.! TRAINING PEOPLE, and most of us need a lot more of it. Thank you and I'll see my way out. :)
While I agree with your post, especially on the top little training, I can’t make myself see this is for me. Too many scenarios where I can’t use both hands. As stated YMMV

For EDC, everywhere, I carry an LCRx w/ (six) 32 H&R mags, in a pants pocket. Point, pull trigger - bang. Repeat as needed.

When I do carry my Hellcat Pro it's in perceived higher threat, high-profile venues (e.g. crowded festivals, tourist venues, bad neighborhoods, etc.), in an IWB holster, and it's in Condition 3, with a twist: I top off the mag with a Snap Cap, chamber the purple plastic bean, and cycle the striker on it. That way I minimize dry-fire, and the purple bean is visible in the chamber peep hole.

That's how I leave the Hellcat at all times in the home, next to my pillow at night. Yep, I need to rack a round before firing in anger. The LCR is bang-ready and always in my pants out of the house, so the Hellcat Pro's role is usually as an escalation backup.
-

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “I Carry with an Empty Chamber — Should You?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/i-carry-with-an-empty-chamber-should-you/.

I think you have valid reasons for your carry decisions.

I have the infamous Sig P320 that keeps coming up on YouTube for having un-commanded discharges and there are opinions on both sides of that story but I carry everywhere humanly possible and am on the Armed Church Security Team so until we can get to the bottom of this I am not having one in the chamber as sad as that may seem. I love the P320 and it's the only gun I have so as mentioned in the article it's better than leaving it at home. We have only a small few of us on the team, small church anyway, so I cannot step aside for now. Sometimes I'm the only one.

I do welcome ALL opinions on the P320 issue.

Never met anyone who carries empty consider the possibility that they might not have both hands available.

For some reason, they think they’re prescient and will be able to get the gun ready before they REALLY need it.
We all play the percentages in life, consciously or otherwise. For example, we don't drive around in armored cars like many billionaires do. There's grocery shopping in the Sout' Side of Chicago, vs in, say, Bozeman, MT (to toss a dart at the map.)
-

I carry a Kimber Micro 9 with a MCarbo trigger kit- trigger pull with that kit is roughly 3.5lbs carried in a pocket holster or a cross draw bag. It is always an empty chamber with that trigger pull. I train 50 rounds per week minimum on that pistol. After firing 7 rounds, I’ll drop the empty mag, release the slide, insert a new mag- then rack the slide and fire again. That adds up to 350 to 400 racking cycles a year- the muscle memory is pretty foolproof and thanks to polishing the feed ramp and a really clean pistol, it feeds very consistently....

I don't understand. Doesn't the Remora holster provide adequate protection against an unintended discharge? I could see carrying with an empty chamber if one WEREN'T carrying in a holster, but I just don't see the benefit to carrying with an empty chamber as he does. In the end, I suppose, if that's what is comfortable for him, who am I to say that it is wrong?

I Train like i carry, every time, all the time, unless i am forced not to by a locations rules to the contrary. I wear my normal clothing, I use my CC holster. I reload from the same mag pouches. I carry with loaded chamber if it's a pistol. And I follow all safety rules just like if gun is loaded or not.

I do the same with archery. I use the same bow. I shoot from the quiver, I use the same shooting glove.

Last edited:
Back