testtest

Options aren't optional.

Bassbob

Emissary
So it's been several years since I carried my .40 cal Shield. Last week I was tasked with taking my dad's guns away from him. My mom has found him wandering around the house in the middle of the night with his handgun and a couple weeks ago she woke up to find him gone. She drove around and found him up the road, in 40 degree weather in jeans, a t-shirt and no shoes or socks. His feet were all bloody and he had no idea where he was or how he got there. I went and put alarms on all their doors that morning and the next day while they were out I went in and gathered his guns and put them someplace he couldn't get to them ( they are still in his house, in a long forgotten safe he doesn't have a key to. It wasn't two hours later he noticed they were gone and my mother had to tell him I took them because she was afraid he might think she was a burglar and shoot her. He was so pissed he called her a faggot Mother F'er.

Anyway, when he's lucid he isn't stupid so when I go over there I try to make sure he can't see a gun on me because I don't want to remind him. Yesterday I had to go over and rake and bag up leaves, which meant just wearing a t-shirt since it was warm out. The .40 is invisible in a mini tuck under a t-shirt. I could have just left whatever I was carrying in the car I guess, but I am not in the habit of leaving a gun in a car. I'm also not in the habit of not having a gun on me.

So options. They are handy to have.

Sorry Bob you're going through this. My mother is 93 and has almost no short term memory. I have had to deal with several episodes of delusional/paranoid behavior that centers around people coming into her house to steal from her, or people trying to look into her windows. From what friends that have gone through this with family members tell me, my mother's behavior is almost test book dementia. My mother has a history of spinal stenosis and is very limited in mobility, so she's not really a flight risk. She still lives at home alone and refuses to go to a nursing home or to allow in home help. While you had to take your dad's guns, with me it's been car keys. My mother thinks if she had her keys she could go where ever she wanted. I understand your struggle. At this point I'm sure your mother is at wits end.

Sorry Bob you're going through this. My mother is 93 and has almost no short term memory. I have had to deal with several episodes of delusional/paranoid behavior that centers around people coming into her house to steal from her, or people trying to look into her windows. From what friends that have gone through this with family members tell me, my mother's behavior is almost test book dementia. My mother has a history of spinal stenosis and is very limited in mobility, so she's not really a flight risk. She still lives at home alone and refuses to go to a nursing home or to allow in home help. While you had to take your dad's guns, with me it's been car keys. My mother thinks if she had her keys she could go where ever she wanted. I understand your struggle. At this point I'm sure your mother is at wits end.
We took his keys awhile back. This is just another thing he can't have or do. When he first started getting bad he still had a good sense of humor about it. Now he's just getting more and more depressed.

I don't fear death but rather getting to that age and state, and then becoming a burden to my children. They might not see it that way, but looking into the future I do. I reckon I'm a couple more decades or so from it.

Hopefully everything works out for the best @Bassbob. A Shield 40s&w was the first Shield I purchased right around the time it was first released. I carried it for years. Good gun, and I wish they'd release a Plus version.

I don't fear death but rather getting to that age and state, and then becoming a burden to my children. They might not see it that way, but looking into the future I do. I reckon I'm a couple more decades or so from it.

Hopefully everything works out for the best @Bassbob. A Shield 40s&w was the first Shield I purchased right around the time it was first released. I carried it for years. Good gun, and I wish they'd release a Plus version.

Same. When I bought that Shield the options were .40 and 9mm. Not too long after that they released the .45 and I bought one of those, which relegated the Performance Center .40 to the safe. Actually it was most recently at my folks house in their TV room. I took it with me when I hid the rest of the guns ( A 12 gauge BPS, a BAR in 30-06 and a Shield EZ .380).

I bought the .40 because at the time I was one of those "Never 9MM" guys. Which that ended when I bought an HK.

Same. When I bought that Shield the options were .40 and 9mm. Not too long after that they released the .45 and I bought one of those, which relegated the Performance Center .40 to the safe. Actually it was most recently at my folks house in their TV room. I took it with me when I hid the rest of the guns ( A 12 gauge BPS, a BAR in 30-06 and a Shield EZ .380).

I bought the .40 because at the time I was one of those "Never 9MM" guys. Which that ended when I bought an HK.
Polish_20231030_134310408.jpg

Great minds think alike. Except I sold the 40s&w, and picked up a Shield 45 Performance Center that I still carry.

We took the keys from Mom (93) a few years before Covid, and before the signs of Dementia became obvious.

She's physically OK, but her short term memory is barely there. She does remember me anymore & when I call to check on her she thinks I'm a scam caller.

Her attention span is about 10 min so I have to get as much quality conversations in that amount of time & she really can't formulate a good conversation. Occasionally, I can get her to remember stuff when we kids were young.

It is what it is. So I know what BB & others are going thru.

Back