testtest

Body Armor?

iklwa

Master Class
My interest here is in any additional protection that may be worn comfortably, for extended periods of time, on a daily basis.
I know this is probably like the Quest for the Unicorn that Farts Gold Coins, but I thought I would just ask this group of people who go armed.
Thanks in advance for your input.
I.

In what capacity are you speaking of. Occupational, Citizen in public, a bump in the night, protective services, security contractor or what?

If this is for around the house("bump in the night"), my thoughts go to something like the US Palm "Defender". Small, light, minimalistic, cost effective, no frills.

There are any number of level IIIA vests that are reasonably comfortable and concealable for everyday use. I have a physical job in construction and I often wear one. Botach sells one. I got one a few months ago from Safeguard Armor. I wouldn't recommend them.

In what capacity are you speaking of. Occupational, Citizen in public, a bump in the night, protective services, security contractor or what?
Just an Average Joe going through life.
I no longer work at an official job.
I go to the bank every two weeks to get "walkin around money" and deposit checks.
Other than that, I stay close to my own digs.

Safe Lite has some flexible armor that’s supposed to be really comfortable and several version are stab/slash resistant. Not cheap though.
Whatever you get, make sure it has tested spal protection.
The one I got is stab resistant. I paid almost $400 for it, but Botach sells one that's nearly identical for around $250.

The thing to keep in mind is that these ( Level 3A) vests are rated for handguns, but they are not rated for high powered rifles like ARs and AKs. And one thing I've noticed on the streets over the last couple years is way more ARs and AKs on the streets.

For “bump in the night”, a solid level III plate vest is probably the most economical choice; you aren’t going to be wearing it long, so weight isn’t going to be an issue, they are fast to don, and are still effective if you don’t fully fasten everything down.

A Lvl III will stop most .30 cal rifle rounds, as well as 556 out of “pistols”.

One must decide what level of threat one wants to prep for. Soft bosy armor can cover threats into the handgun range, but one needs to go to a soild plate for rifle threats.

There are concealable low-profile clothing/vests that can carry plates into the Level III+ range, but beyond that you have to go to an external set-up.

Plus, one needs to figure out how much extra weight one wants to put on.

Then what do you want to do to protect the CPU?

My .02

Last edited:
More...

More...

I pulled the string myself and made my first purchase of body armor from AR500 which @Talyn linked to above. My order was a build out bundle with the ARInvictus Plate carrier in black, 2- level III+ 10"x12" multi curve steel plates with 2- Blunt Force Trauma pads to go on the inside of the vest behind the plates. For an extra $100, there was an option for lightweight 10"x12" plates but I just went with their regular steel plates. I ordered it back in January 2021 and they said it would take 6+ weeks to ship. When that date passed with no shipment, I emailed customer support and they shipped it two days later (the customer rep I dealt with was very good). I know it won't be the lightest weight I could have configured, but I bought it more for home protection and potential SHTF scenarios. After seeing how it fits etc. (it's expected this Saturday 3/20), I'll be looking to add on with side panels & plates and look at Ballistic helmets.
Their website has a bunch of information & videos that are useful even if not buying from them. Information like their Body Armor Level Chart (showing what each level plates protect against which calibers), description of their anti Spall and Fragmentation coating they put on their plates, and videos of Armor testing of this coating with different caliber firearms.
I'm sure in my case there's still plenty to learn, but the information on their website and emails with additional information when I signed up, was quite educational.

Sounds like concealable soft armor is most suitable for your use. As mentioned, it'll only be suitable against handgun threats, and will probably fail against handgun rounds like a 5.7x28. Wearing one daily for extended periods of time is not going to be comfortable period. Worn properly, it'll labor your breathing, especially if you're not in the best shape. It will insulate heat alot, you will sweat profusely in it.

I have one that I wear on occasion, on those rare occasions I have to handle cash, and I did for a month last year during the riots as they got within blocks of my commercial property.

This is the exact one I own

Here's another option @iklwa, I just came across this article from the company linked below. I have no knowledge nor dealt with this company, but the "Soft Armor" caught my eye and it was something you had mentioned you were interested in. Just thought I'd share. Good luck with your search.

Here's another option @iklwa, I just came across this article from the company linked below. I have no knowledge nor dealt with this company, but the "Soft Armor" caught my eye and it was something you had mentioned you were interested in. Just thought I'd share. Good luck with your search.

I would probably avoid something like this, as imo one of the advantages of soft armor over hard armor, is greater coverage. Though something like this will likely be more comfortable with the right carrier.

Thanks for your input!

One must decide what level of threat one wants to prep for. Soft bosy armor can cover threats into the handgun range, but one needs to go to a soild plate for rifle threats.

There are concealable low-profile clothing/vests that can carry plates into the Level III+ range, but beyond that you have to go to an external set-up.

Plus, one needs to figure out how much extra weight one wants to put on.

Then what do you want to do to protect the CPU?

My .02

Might be able to get a 10% off with the code CROWDER on the Spartan Armor System's.
I bought a set of soft armor from them during December for me and my wife. Very comfortable.

I guess none of you ever watched "Back to the Future." The door off a wood stove works just fine. :)

Back