testtest

The Final Shot Fired at the Berlin Wall

I served with the Second Squadron, 2nd Armored Cav during the late 70's. Part of our duty was to patrol the Hof & Coburg sector of the East/West German Border. I was even able to reenlist on the border. A lot of good memories and some not so great. But is was great to have an actual mission.

Attachments

• East Geerman Border Guard Tower.jpg
    East Geerman Border Guard Tower.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 175
  • DDR Border Stone with DDR Plaque.jpg
    DDR Border Stone with DDR Plaque.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 176
  • On patrol looking into the DDR with my Patrol Group.jpg
    On patrol looking into the DDR with my Patrol Group.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Reenlistment - 2 (2).jpg
    Reenlistment - 2 (2).jpg
    886 KB · Views: 170
I served with the Second Squadron, 2nd Armored Cav during the late 70's. Part of our duty was to patrol the Hof & Coburg sector of the East/West German Border. I was even able to reenlist on the border. A lot of good memories and some not so great. But is was great to have an actual mission.
Thats pretty neat 👍👍👍

I lived in Germany for 4 years (1955-1957 & 1967-1969). And I spent 6 months of that time living in Helmstedt, which is a small Dorf right on the border where the autobahn checkpoint going to Berlin is.

We would hear machine gun fire about every other week coming from the checkpoint, where defecting citizens from the East would try to run and jump the barricades and make it to safety in the West. We knew that someone either just made it or they were killed. Sobering to hear!

The Communists are evil people!

I was in the 8th Infantry Division (Baumholder) from 1985-1988. My wife at the time was stationed there as well in the 257th PSC. I got out (she stayed in) in December 1988 before going to work as a civilian on a West German army base (Nahbollenbach). Before returning stateside, we spent some time in West Berlin at the end of November 1989. The feeling was quite festive watching the folks from the East cross over at Checkpoint Charlie in their little smoky cars. Great experience. I haven't been back since unification but would love to someday.

I had several friends who were assigned to USASA Field Station, Berlin. They sent me to Ethiopia!

I was issued a card at CkPt Charlie with a number and phone with instructions to return the card when I returned to the west side from visiting East Berlin. Naturally, I forgot to return the card and didn’t realize that until the next morning hurrying to catch a plane out of Templehoff. I called that phone number from my hotel and was screamed at by an Army NCO who demanded I immediately return to Check Point Charlie, with that card, to prove I had not been kidnapped! Seems the US Army had people looking for me all night! I calmly explained I had a plane to catch and did not return with that card. I still have it and think of that time, and those days, whenever I happen to pull it out of the box it’s been buried in for over 45 years. Should that NCO see this post, please know I’m fine and sorry I could not return that card to you.

I was issued a card at CkPt Charlie with a number and phone with instructions to return the card when I returned to the west side from visiting East Berlin. Naturally, I forgot to return the card and didn’t realize that until the next morning hurrying to catch a plane out of Templehoff. I called that phone number from my hotel and was screamed at by an Army NCO who demanded I immediately return to Check Point Charlie, with that card, to prove I had not been kidnapped! Seems the US Army had people looking for me all night! I calmly explained I had a plane to catch and did not return with that card. I still have it and think of that time, and those days, whenever I happen to pull it out of the box it’s been buried in for over 45 years. Should that NCO see this post, please know I’m fine and sorry I could not return that card to you.
I've still got my Official passport which I was supposed to have turned in in 1970. (Don't tell LBJ!) ;)

Back