testtest

The Art of One-Handed Shooting

Great video and article, with my current issues with my weak hand/arm (left) shoulder, practicing one hand (right) will be something I’ll be working on.
1644698322155.gif

Just a reminder that I haven't practiced one-hand or weak-hand shooting in quite some time.
A very good article and video. I completely agree in that it is somewhat a lost art in one handed shooting. I have viewed some firearms instructors who absolutely refuse to train or even discuss one handed operation. Mostly I believe because they have never been taught how to do it. Being older and former military and LEO, I was original trained in two hand and one hand shooting skills as well as strong hand and weak hand. I know there are some classes that still show how to shoot one handed. Ther a few courses that are specific to one handed shooting. While the NRA, USCCA and other have significant instructions on proper grip (important) the skill for one handed shooting in not or should not a special skill or advanced skill. Just an opinion.

A very good article and video. I completely agree in that it is somewhat a lost art in one handed shooting. I have viewed some firearms instructors who absolutely refuse to train or even discuss one handed operation. Mostly I believe because they have never been taught how to do it. Being older and former military and LEO, I was original trained in two hand and one hand shooting skills as well as strong hand and weak hand. I know there are some classes that still show how to shoot one handed. Ther a few courses that are specific to one handed shooting. While the NRA, USCCA and other have significant instructions on proper grip (important) the skill for one handed shooting in not or should not a special skill or advanced skill. Just an opinion.

I'm not sure how much value there is in learning to shoot two handed from the weak side. If you have use of both of your hands and arms, why would you need to go from the weak side? That side, being able to shoot adequately one handed from either side is an invaluable skill that could save your life one day.

I'm not sure how much value there is in learning to shoot two handed from the weak side. If you have use of both of your hands and arms, why would you need to go from the weak side? That side, being able to shoot adequately one handed from either side is an invaluable skill that could save your life one day.
I need to shoot one handed on the weak side is simple Cover and concealment. It is situational.

Here is where the value is. I'm a lefty. If someone is trying to carjack me from either side drawing and shooting with the door interfering and limiting my movement and range of motion I've had to learn to draw and shoot with my weak hand. I have found that even with my weak hand, my other hand instinctively goes to the weapon to steady it and at the range I have found better accuracy two handed regardless of weak or stong lead, YMMV

Pretty good article, imho…
I noticed how big that guys hands are. Got out one of my small ones (9milly, 4” barrel) with the thin grips I installed, and I can’t get a wrap anywhere like his. 🫤
*** Break ***

I don’t wanna start anything, but everyone realizes handguns were - and are, technically - MADE to be used one-handed, right ?
I mean, rifles were made with a forearm / fore end since maybe from the first attempt (?). But if you think about it, the pistol never has had anything intended for what we now call our “support hand”.
(Yeah, I realize there may be or have been some fringe models with that in mind…).

Best i can recall, we have Col Cooper for what we all take for granted now. But it ain’t been around long.

One could make a case that not using it as intended means we’re doing it wrong!

( just some food for thought )

I "make" all the fellow Officers and civilians I train and teach shoot one handed with both strong and weak hands. You just never know in life if something were to happen to one of your hands or arms and it becomes injured and incapacitated and out of the fight you may have to use only one. Just my two cents...

Back