testtest

Ayoob: How to Shoot a Pistol Using the Classic Weaver Stance

I have come to believe that the best aspect of the Weaver Stance is that it is open to modification. I was a mediocre-to-average professional fighter (MMA, Kickboxing, and Boxing), but I have had the opportunity to train and coach some incredible athletes at the highest levels of the sport. Regardless of the sport, what we consider to be the "best" or "proper" way to do anything is really just the method that is most likely to offer the best results for most people in the shortest amount of time.

Longtime fans of Major League Baseball have witnessed many athletes excel while using highly unconventional methods. Julio Franco won a batting title and Mickey Tettleton hit hundreds of homers with distinctive batting stances that no coach would ever dream of teaching. Roy Jones Jr. became one of the greatest boxers in history while often employing a "hands-down" fighting stance, despite all boxers being taught from day one to always keep their hands up. While the average person is almost guaranteed to fail by using these techniques, the success of these athletes (and countless more with unique styles) proves that the techniques they employed cannot be labeled "wrong".

All athletes, especially older ones, must develop a personal style that makes the best use of their attributes; while limiting the effects of their weaknesses, injuries, build, etc. Blindly copying the style of any successful athlete will often only work for athletes with similar body styles and physical attributes. Everyone should learn to shoot using a conventional stance, while remaining free to make minor modifications that offer the best individual results. Many "experts" hate to hear it, but if you are shooting 2" groups off-hand at 25 yards with a pistol, you're method is probably not "wrong" solely because it doesn't perfectly match the traditional method.

I have come to believe that the best aspect of the Weaver Stance is that it is open to modification. I was a mediocre-to-average professional fighter (MMA, Kickboxing, and Boxing), but I have had the opportunity to train and coach some incredible athletes at the highest levels of the sport. Regardless of the sport, what we consider to be the "best" or "proper" way to do anything is really just the method that is most likely to offer the best results for most people in the shortest amount of time.

Longtime fans of Major League Baseball have witnessed many athletes excel while using highly unconventional methods. Julio Franco won a batting title and Mickey Tettleton hit hundreds of homers with distinctive batting stances that no coach would ever dream of teaching. Roy Jones Jr. became one of the greatest boxers in history while often employing a "hands-down" fighting stance, despite all boxers being taught from day one to always keep their hands up. While the average person is almost guaranteed to fail by using these techniques, the success of these athletes (and countless more with unique styles) proves that the techniques they employed cannot be labeled "wrong".

All athletes, especially older ones, must develop a personal style that makes the best use of their attributes; while limiting the effects of their weaknesses, injuries, build, etc. Blindly copying the style of any successful athlete will often only work for athletes with similar body styles and physical attributes. Everyone should learn to shoot using a conventional stance, while remaining free to make minor modifications that offer the best individual results. Many "experts" hate to hear it, but if you are shooting 2" groups off-hand at 25 yards with a pistol, you're method is probably not "wrong" solely because it doesn't perfectly match the traditional method.
He mentioned that same concept in the first article of the series. You made some great points and used overlapping examples, which are some of the best ways to learn. Thanks for the great info @wmg1299 !

This is very true. As in the Martial Arts, most of them have a "set" stance for their fighting styles. Bruce Lee came along and introduced Jeet Kune Do, which went against a lot of the "traditional" forms in that it didn't emphasize a set stance or a set fighting style. It incorporated many forms into a street fighting form that could be modified to each person's strengths. MMA is the offshoot of Jeet Kune Do. Shooting stances are the same thing. As long as you are able to shoot accurately, consistently, and comfortably in a stable stance, that is the stance that is best for you. Modified Weaver, whatever works for you. And whatever works for you may not work for others. The only "right or wrong" is in how you handle and treat a firearm.

When I went through the police academy in 1976, I was taught the isosceles. In 1982 I went to Gunsite & switched over to the Weaver. I used that for the rest of my career, while transitioning from revolvers to auto pistols, & always did well. I usually shot a perfect score on my quals (which, in all honesty, weren't that hard). I wasn't the best shot on the dept. (~220 officers) but I was in the top 5. After retiring from the PD, I worked as an armed Protective Security Officer. About this time the "modern isosceles" or "thumbs forward" stance was coming into vogue, but I saw no reason to change. I had read some criticisms of the Weaver that, under stress, there was a tendency for the weak hand to over-exert & pull the shot off target (a potential problem Mas didn't mention). I didn't believe it, as I had never had it happen. UNTIL... I was shooting for qualification & had to clear a malfunction. Trying to get my shot off with only a second before the timer ran out, I pulled my shot completely off the left side of the target - something I'd NEVER done! That made me reconsider. I've been using the modern isosceles since, although it took me awhile to overcome all the years of muscle memory with the Weaver. If I didn't think about it, I tended to end up in a weird hybrid of the two. I'm finally assuming the new stance without conscious thought, but this article has me thinking maybe I should go back to practicing the Weaver once in a while, just for versatility - unless it throws me back into "hybrid" territory again!

Back