testtest

Springfield Operator vs. Mil-Spec 1911

I'm sure these are both great guns, but I'd prefer to split the difference and buy a Garrison. I'm not big on having too many tactical features on a 1911. The only changes from the original design that I really want are a non-pinned front sight and an extended beavertail, and the Garrison offers both features. I wouldn't fault anyone for buying an Operator if it fits their style, but I prefer the more traditional designs. Putting a rail on a 1911 is like putting a roof rack on a Corvette. It may be practical, but it ruins the entire flow of the lines and curves.

I'm sure these are both great guns, but I'd prefer to split the difference and buy a Garrison. I'm not big on having too many tactical features on a 1911. The only changes from the original design that I really want are a non-pinned front sight and an extended beavertail, and the Garrison offers both features. I wouldn't fault anyone for buying an Operator if it fits their style, but I prefer the more traditional designs. Putting a rail on a 1911 is like putting a roof rack on a Corvette. It may be practical, but it ruins the entire flow of the lines and curves.
First thanks for the article anni good one totally agree about the roof rack on the vette throws it all off anyway I own the mil spec I love this gun I did change the grips
84ABCE16-E3A7-4EC5-BED6-5D869B8D11DF.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the Garrison too. I just paid through the nose for a stainless Loaded. I am very sad to see it leave the lineup. That said, I had the choice of a second Loaded at $1200 or go with the Garrison and save $350 on it. The full length guide rod vs the partial makes no real difference to me. I appreciate the front serrations (I actually use them) and the ambi safety on the Loaded. They are nice to have but the Garrison is sharp in it’s own right.

I also have the mil-spec. I really like it but need to run more through it. What kind of grips are they? Looks good.
Mikep they are cheap knockoff but they fit perfectly I even email the seller is on eBay super cheap nice thumb cut out like I said fits like a glove look up G10 grips for 1911 on eBay the seller is tacex-USA (9218) you will love them I was very surprised good luck

Mikep they are cheap knockoff but they fit perfectly I even email the seller is on eBay super cheap nice thumb cut out like I said fits like a glove look up G10 grips for 1911 on eBay the seller is tacex-USA (9218) you will love them I was very surprised good luck
Thanks. Will check it out.

Javbike- do they work with standard size bushings? I was on their site and it didn’t specify.

With all the 1911’s I have owned over many moons, I never had to change the bushings for grip replacement, are the new guns bushings different then the one older days, or was I just to blind and dumb and didn’t pay attention.

I own the TRP Operators in 45 and 10mm (6", no longer available). I also own a SA A1 Range Officer model. As far as grips, I changed the "Alien" grips on my 10MM (seen in this video on the Operator), to Balck Double Diamond grips which were the same (or darn close), to what came with the 45 TRP Operator. I bought the grips at vzgrips.com, which I believe is where SA gets theirs. VZGrips has G10 grips for several different firearms (different models of 1911s, CZ, Beretta, etc.). I bought a pair for my CZ 75B which also looks great.

Back