testtest

Nazis, Noms de Geurre and the Complex History of the Hi-Power

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Nazis, Noms de Geurre and the Complex History of the Hi-Power" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/nazis-noms-de-geurre-and-the-complex-history-of-the-hi-power/.

Ok two things happened for me reading this article, 1st is the answer to my
un-asked question, what is the allure of this gun. Now I understand.
2nd and yes I’ve been following the threads and posts about this pistol including the threads provided by @Talyn on that company that is known for reworking these guns but up until this article I always thought these were chambered in 45ACP.
I learned a lot today.

Thanks Mike!!!

Ok two things happened for me reading this article, 1st is the answer to my
un-asked question, what is the allure of this gun. Now I understand.
2nd and yes I’ve been following the threads and posts about this pistol including the threads provided by @Talyn on that company that is known for reworking these guns but up until this article I always thought these were chambered in 45ACP.
I learned a lot today.

Thanks Mike!!!
I captured a Browning High Power in the Delta of South Vietnam in 1968. I assumed that it had been carried by a French officer during the Indo-China war in the 1950’s. I took it to a gunsmith and had it reblued and the extraction reworked. He told the pistol was made before 1937 as the Nazi’s changed the extractor after they took over the factory. After reading the article it appears that my assumption for all these years has been wrong!
Best regards/
Ed Reed

I've been looking for a SA35 but my LGS tells me that there was some problems with extractors and they haven't completed the fix. Can anyone collaborate that? I am NOT interested in the FN model at all. I thought that they would have at least made some of the parts interchangeable, but no. Besides that they are very proud of their expensive rework, more so than I am willing to pay. I could buy multiple Turkish versions and have a good gunsmith fix them. Or get a couple SA35's for the price of FN's version.

On GB Mach1 Arsenal is offering several Israeli LEO/Correction officers turn-in original BHPs at various price points, based on condition. The prices are reasonable for "original" BHPs vs. the currently offered clone/variants.

The Israeli BHPs are in various Series/Marks. Probably, the best offerings on GB for "original" BHPs.

My .02

Last edited:
I purchased a SA-35 a few weeks ago and am happy with it. Today received three extra SA-35 magazines for it.

I picked up an original Browning hi power two years ago.
I wasn't looking for one but the price was right so it came home with me!
I cant believe it was so popular with such a terrible triģger.

TC

Attachments

• 20220328_135438.jpg
    20220328_135438.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 157
  • 20220328_092959.jpg
    20220328_092959.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 172
  • 20220328_092920.jpg
    20220328_092920.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 161
  • 20220328_150332_resized.jpg
    20220328_150332_resized.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 20220327_155129.jpg
    20220327_155129.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 160
I've been looking for a SA35 but my LGS tells me that there was some problems with extractors and they haven't completed the fix. Can anyone collaborate that? I am NOT interested in the FN model at all. I thought that they would have at least made some of the parts interchangeable, but no. Besides that they are very proud of their expensive rework, more so than I am willing to pay. I could buy multiple Turkish versions and have a good gunsmith fix them. Or get a couple SA35's for the price of FN's version.
Check out the SA-35 reviews at BH Spring Solutions. They discuss the Extractor issue and solution.

I purchased a SA-35 a few weeks ago and am happy with it. Today received three extra SA-35 magazines for it.

I picked up an original Browning hi power two years ago.
I wasn't looking for one but the price was right so it came home with me!
I cant believe it was so popular with such a terrible triģger.

TC
BH Spring Solutions has a replacement trigger assembly for original Hi Powers and clones that greatly improves the trigger pull. They are also a great place to look for all things to improve the performance of Hi Powers.

I've read many books about J. M. Browning, and one thing about the man has always perplexed me, and that is why he never put any real effort into developing a DA/SA Self Loading Pistol? It seems to me to be the obvious progression in pistol design, yet he never pursued that direction. Leaving it to Walther to develop the first commercially successful DA/SA design with their PP series. Anyone else notice this or have any insight as to why he stuck to SA?

I've read many books about J. M. Browning, and one thing about the man has always perplexed me, and that is why he never put any real effort into developing a DA/SA Self Loading Pistol? It seems to me to be the obvious progression in pistol design, yet he never pursued that direction. Leaving it to Walther to develop the first commercially successful DA/SA design with their PP series. Anyone else notice this or have any insight as to why he stuck to SA?
One would think he thought about it, but he died in 1926.

The P38 (the first successful SA/DA pistol with a locked-breech) came out in the late 30's.

Bob, the first successful commercial DA/SA was the Walther PP, Polizeipistole or Police Pistol which was introduced in 1929, nine years before the P38. The PPK, Polizeipistole kriminal or Police Pistol Criminal for detectives, was introduced in 1932. So only three years after Browning passed for the PP to be introduced.
It's just that it seems to me, if he'd have put his mind to it, he could have done it. Part of the reason he pursued the HI Power, was because he wasn't completely satisfied with the 1911, even though it was a great success as a handgun and continues to be so. I've looked at and studied his patents, and as innovative as he was, the lack of a DA/SA design has me wondering why. The extra work in both the 1911 and the HI Power to make them capable of carry in condition one or cocked and locked, seems to be where he ended his pursuit design wise.

Bob, the first successful commercial DA/SA was the Walther PP, Polizeipistole or Police Pistol which was introduced in 1929, nine years before the P38. The PPK, Polizeipistole kriminal or Police Pistol Criminal for detectives, was introduced in 1932. So only three years after Browning passed for the PP to be introduced.
It's just that it seems to me, if he'd have put his mind to it, he could have done it. Part of the reason he pursued the HI Power, was because he wasn't completely satisfied with the 1911, even though it was a great success as a handgun and continues to be so. I've looked at and studied his patents, and as innovative as he was, the lack of a DA/SA design has me wondering why. The extra work in both the 1911 and the HI Power to make them capable of carry in condition one or cocked and locked, seems to be where he ended his pursuit design wise.
Yes, But the PPK (used to have one) is a blow-back breach system vs the locked-breach like the 1911 & BHP, and subsequent modern pistols.

The main reason he intially worked on the BHP was for a French military requirement. He died & DD finalized the design that the French rejected, then the Belgiums adopted it.

Yes, I fully understand the difference in the two systems, as I own both, but that doesn't change my original question of why J.M.B. did not expend any time/effort towards developing a DA/SA trigger.

Perhaps JMB felt that there was no real first-round advantage to DA/SA over a single-action pistol in Condition One. There was also the necessity to master both the first-shot DA trigger pull and the subsequent SA pull.

Back