testtest

Handheld or Weapon-Mounted Light: What You Need To Know

This is a question I’ve had for a long time and I’ve never come up with an answer that I like: Why not just turn on the lights if you have to clear your house for some reason?

Those of you more knowledgeable than I am on the topic, please, share with me what I’m missing?

My opinion, I don't use any kind of light, either handheld on weapon mounted, if your in the dark and somebody is there, your light makes an easy target for them zero in on you, just my thoughts

This is a question I’ve had for a long time and I’ve never come up with an answer that I like: Why not just turn on the lights if you have to clear your house for some reason?

Those of you more knowledgeable than I am on the topic, please, share with me what I’m missing?
A WML is about more than being able to see. It can be used to temporarily blind an attacker. You also should have a tape switch so you can turn the light on briefly to see then turn it off and move so you aren’t giving away your position. Also it’s not just for inside your house. There is no turning the light on outside.

Personally I don’t have WML on HD guns. I have low level lighting in my house, which I know like the back of my hand and any intruder does not.

If you're turning lights on as you go, you're lighting yourself up first, usually, and leaving yourself backlit. So you can be giving an advantage to the other guy.

A few years ago in my town, some fool accidentally shot his fiance in a dark hallway, mistaking her for an intruder in the middle of the night. I use a hand held light.

All of my carry guns have a weapon mounted light and I carry a Streamlight when I know I will be out after dark. I also have a 3 D cell flashlight next to the bed.

However, when I built my home in 1997, I installed two light switches on the wall at mattress height. They are connected to all of the outside lights around the house. They can be flipped on while in bed illuminating the entire house perimeter. This allows me to move around unseen in a dark house while still able to all that is going on outside. The outside lighting makes it difficult for someone to see inside a dark house.

All of my carry guns have a weapon mounted light and I carry a Streamlight when I know I will be out after dark. I also have a 3 D cell flashlight next to the bed.

However, when I built my home in 1997, I installed two light switches on the wall at mattress height. They are connected to all of the outside lights around the house. They can be flipped on while in bed illuminating the entire house perimeter. This allows me to move around unseen in a dark house while still able to all that is going on outside. The outside lighting makes it difficult for someone to see inside a dark house.
Very cool idea. Next time I build a house, I'm going to do that.

Given the probability that that bump in the night is a friendly, I am willing to accept some added degradation in gunfighting posture to make sure I'm not risking a family member. I prefer handheld lights because of daily use because I know their status and can light up a "threat" without muzzling it. If I were using a weapon light, I want to bounce the light of the ceiling or floor rather than light and muzzle the "bump in the night".

I also don't like restricting my holster choices when mounting a weapon light and very much prefer to reserve the pistol's accessory rail for dry fire practice with a MantisX10 Elite training aid...one reason I despise proprietary accessory rails. Thanks Springfield for standard rails on Hellcat series.

Back