testtest

The .30-40 U.S. Krag-Jorgensen in Combat

I have an 1896 Carbine, that my brother had given me. When I took it to the range, I had no idea what to expect. I put an 8 1/2"x11" target at the 100 yd line (100 is max distance for the range) 1st time shooting, put rounds on paper. VERY nice rifle!!!!!

Very well written article. The real problem with the Krag in hindsight, was that the system and caliber were already obsolete by the time of its adoption. We've one in the family that was purchased through the DCM after the Great War (unfortunately, a great-uncle chose to have it sporterized). It is a fun gun to shoot, and is fairly accurate (within reason) with more modern projectiles than the original round nose ball ammo.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "The .30-40 U.S. Krag-Jorgensen in Combat" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/the-30-40-u-s-krag-jorgensen-in-combat/.

Interesting article, my Grandfather served in the USArmy Calvary in the Philippines during the Moro insurrection and recounted using the Krag along with a .38 caliber pistol and calvary sword. He said the Krag carbine was affective but had a terrible kick, the .38 pistol was useless as unlike a .45 it had no stopping power. He left the military in 1904 so never had use of a Springfield 1903 or .45.

The author states incorrectly that the krag-jorgensen rifle must be loaded one round at a time, and that this was its primary disadvantage. That is incorrect.

One advantage of the krag-jorgensen rifle was that its side loading gate permitted a gloved hand to drop in a handful of rounds, and slap the loading gate closed, permitting an extremely fast reload in the most adverse of conditions.

The action of the krag-jorgensen rifle is the smoothest bolt action I have ever had the pleasure of operating, bar none.

The 30-40 designation of this rifle, indicates that it was designed for use with black powder. 30 caliber with 40 grains of black powder.

That was its primary downfall, for although it was used with smokeless powder, it's cartridge was not designed for the same high pressure loads that the Mauser, or the subsequent Springfield 30-06, were designed to handle.

A close personal friend of mine ended up trading in his 30-40 krag-jorgensen, for a 30-06 Springfield to hunt with, when his buddies could reach deer far beyond the range that his 30-40 was capable of reaching.

Still, the krag-jorgensen is an amazing rifle in its own right, and is a pleasure to shoot even to this day...

Back