testtest

The Best War Films You’ve Never Seen

As a person born during ww2.We watched a lot of war movies. We figured we knew what war was all about.Night before I got on a plane for MCRD.I watched "Sands of IwoJima" with John Wayne.People got shot and just fell over no miscellaneous body parts flying around.Looked quite simple.As we know.Thats not the reality of war.I thought about sitting and watching that movie many times.As I sat at night with a poncho covering me to keep the bugs from eating my face.Keeping one eye uncovered.looking for the boogyman. Sorry.....no war movies please

Hi,

I recently retired from a large community college where I would often service the computers in the Veteran's Resource Center. In the lounge was a large screen TV that always had a war movie or action flick playing. The students would mostly laugh and make fun of it. I can understand why.

The article posted deals with the unique firearms in the featured movies and for that reason is interesting. Being foreign made, these are not "Hollywood" movies so I might just try to find those that are streaming because they will have much different perspectives.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I'm an old 'Nam vet and I've got a couple of favorites:
1. Saving Private Ryan
2. We Were Soldiers

When Saving Private Ryan came out, I went with a group of friends to watch it. When it was over, one of the ladies asked if the D-Day scenes were like real combat. I told her it was as close as it could be but without the smells, noise volume and cries of the wounded.

When General Moore's and Joe Galloway's book, We Were Soldiers Once and Young, came out, I bought a case of them and gave them out to other Vietnam vets I thought would enjoy it. About the same time that book came out, I reconnected with some of the soldiers with whom I'd served. One of them was MG Herbert E. Wolff and I sent him this photo I'd taken back in 1969:
1653482582714.png

I had been impressed with this "soldier's soldier" act of kindness to this wounded trooper and told him that when I met him for dinner some 38 years later. General Wolff was a "mustang" out of WWII and when I asked him what his best memory of his 37 years of service, his answer was rather astounding. "That was when we rescued the prisoners of war at Cabanatuan." He was with Mucci and Prince and won a battlefield commission shortly thereafter! I also inquired his opinion of General Hal Moore and he replied, "He is, perhaps, the finest man who ever wore the uniform." I ended up writing to General Moore and told him that.

Sorry for this "walk down memory lane" but I get this way each year near Memorial Day. I hope all of you and, especially the veterans among us, have a safe and happy day of remembrance.

Mike
1st Infantry Division
RVN '69-'70

I'm an old 'Nam vet and I've got a couple of favorites:
1. Saving Private Ryan
2. We Were Soldiers

When Saving Private Ryan came out, I went with a group of friends to watch it. When it was over, one of the ladies asked if the D-Day scenes were like real combat. I told her it was as close as it could be but without the smells, noise volume and cries of the wounded.

When General Moore's and Joe Galloway's book, We Were Soldiers Once and Young, came out, I bought a case of them and gave them out to other Vietnam vets I thought would enjoy it. About the same time that book came out, I reconnected with some of the soldiers with whom I'd served. One of them was MG Herbert E. Wolff and I sent him this photo I'd taken back in 1969:
View attachment 27634
I had been impressed with this "soldier's soldier" act of kindness to this wounded trooper and told him that when I met him for dinner some 38 years later. General Wolff was a "mustang" out of WWII and when I asked him what his best memory of his 37 years of service, his answer was rather astounding. "That was when we rescued the prisoners of war at Cabanatuan." He was with Mucci and Prince and won a battlefield commission shortly thereafter! I also inquired his opinion of General Hal Moore and he replied, "He is, perhaps, the finest man who ever wore the uniform." I ended up writing to General Moore and told him that.

Sorry for this "walk down memory lane" but I get this way each year near Memorial Day. I hope all of you and, especially the veterans among us, have a safe and happy day of remembrance.

Mike
1st Infantry Division
RVN '69-'70
Outstanding!

Recently caught a film on Netflix called the forgotten battle. WWII from the point of view of the Danes I believe. English dubbed, very good story. Allegedly based on true events.

Up Periscope, Run Silent Run Deep, Torpedo Run, Destination Tokyo, 30 Seconds over Tokyo, The Bridge on the River Kwai for a few.

Back