testtest

One-Man Room Clearing: Sound Tactic or Suicidal Move?

I love the insight into how and what to do if you come home to a possible break in at your home. BUT, this scenario is only viable IF you're able to carry and are prepared when you arrive home. Until that day (hopefully soon) when NJ does issue CCP's, we're still dependent on a 9-1-1 call and delayed arrival from the authorities.

Even entry teams wait til they have at least a number 2 man to go into a room in most doctrines.

So as a retired guy I wouldn’t as there’s no good way to do it. And for normal Joe’s and Jane’s my question is WHY? Why would you give a care about property. Just back out and wait!

But like an old Captain I had use to say “you can do whatever you want just make sure your career and bank account can handle the outcome”!

To each their own

Even entry teams wait til they have at least a number 2 man to go into a room in most doctrines.

So as a retired guy I wouldn’t as there’s no good way to do it. And for normal Joe’s and Jane’s my question is WHY? Why would you give a care about property. Just back out and wait!

But like an old Captain I had use to say “you can do whatever you want just make sure your career and bank account can handle the outcome”!

To each their own
Sometimes the situation demands action or there is no backup and I have dealt with those things. My house caught on fire and it was unknown if my step kids were still inside, and there was a couple times backup was more than 3hrs out and a woman and child were being abused and BG did not know I had arrived. Sometimes things have to be done and you do what may seem foolish to others but not the ones who may need your help, just saying.

Someone/something I love inside, I'm going in. Other than that I'll call the cops and get myself somewhere I can see who comes out without being seen myself.

If me and mine are already in the house we'll be in the same room, armed, behind some cover with 911 on the line.

I get notifications on my phone when movement is detected by the security cameras in my apartment and entry doors and can log into the system to see what triggered the alert. Based on the camera # I can see the activity and see what room they possibly could be hiding in before I enter the apartment.
I’m also using the built in apartment security system regularly which makes serious noise when not turned off upon entering.

Good How-To info if you never considered the scenario and come home finding the first room ransacked, but still how prepared are you against any intruder(s) that remains…regardless of how well you know your layout and of course for example the video demonstration is conducted in daylight. I’m the kind inclined to likely start looking around inside beforehand depending on time of day. I have a small dog - priority one.

Most burglars are quick in and out opportunists.
The non-confrontational opportunist is likely going to flee the same way they came in as soon a they hear the homeowner opening the locked undisturbed door. Easy entry points like side windows and back doors not visible to neighbors or passerby's leaves the homeowner with that slight disadvantage when the unsuspecting homeowner enters thru the undisturbed front/back door quietly.

But ambushers are in wait for the homeowner because they didn’t find what they sought and need the homeowner to give up the goods. Something to keep in mind the trending evil fashion is the “follow home” assailants, that may learn your worth and routine. Pays to be aware and prepared.

It will remain an unsettling situation until every possible hiding spot, every compartment, every drawer and cabinet base, every inch of crawl space/attic, behind every large object and clothes hanging in a every closet is thoroughly inspected. Then you have to still have close up that broken entry point for the night !
Back up is not always going to be an immediate option but it’s best to leave initial clearing/searching for professionals if possible and even then, some areas will need special attention with your assistance.

I like these new tech WiFi monitor cameras, properly spaced inside and out at least you can see who came, who left or who remains in the premises.

Remember the days when just a “We’re Hiring” sign posted was enough to keep unwashed deadbeats away.

If you have to move in to save loved ones, then do what you gotta do. Otherwise, fort up outside the door and wait for law enforcement to arrive. But a word of advice: If you think you may have to rescue folks amongst bad guys, go to the range and learn to consistently hit 6" circles under time. That is a minimum of what you have to do to rescue hostages

When I was younger I had some training in what some call shoot houses but I am not as quick now I am old and silver but as the song says "I'm not as good as I use to be BUT I am better than I ever was one more time" I have had some years of martial ans trained hard wit edged weapons and Jo stick BUT IN MY SUNSET YEARS i CHEAT and do not play fair. I spent the last few years B4 I retired in 2007 as a training officer for security teamsmbut now I am just a old man.

My wife and I once returned home from a weeklong trip to find our front door wide open. I chose to clear the house myself while my wife remained in the car ready to call 911. My main reason, besides just the energized fun-factor, was that I didn't want to introduce armed police into a situation where it was most likely a friend who was tasked with caring for our cat. Turned out it was a long gone, drug cabinet burglar who lacked the courtesy to close the front door after his raid.

Our house in the Philipines got robbed way back in the 1970s. If I had caught them in there back then I'd have gone straight at them. Smart? Probably not but it would have been very satisfying. Under Fidel Marcos no garden variety burglars had a gun so we would be some fightin m-fs up in there. And I am twice their size. Like a charging rhino with right on his side, I don't feel pain or fear or intellect when provoked.

Back