testtest

Perfectly Sublime: The Cylinder & Slide Custom SA-35

I don't care for the duck-butt or the forward grippy-grooves at all. I rather like the front- and backstrap stippling. The sights, thumb safety and hammer I'd have to compare to the stock parts to make up my mind.

$3K additional on the stock gun? Not worth it to me, thanks anyway.

Hey Roy. Your remarks about the stock SA 35 gun being just fine goes against a lot of what I'm reading about extractor issues. Now I wonder who's got the right review! Great article anyway, thanks

What a beautiful job, it certainly does justice to Browning's last work and some would say his best. As a custom piece one could refine it to their taste. If the Hi Power were my jam, I certainly could see doing this.

I was excited when I originally heard about the SA-35 but availability was terrible a year ago and is completely non existent now. Even the GB gougers are down to just a few. You should probably quit publishing articles trying to sell guns you do not have to sell.

My very first pistol was a Browning P-35 purchased in the early 60’s. I kept it until last year when I gave it to my nephew (who was lusting for it). Then I missed it but became aware of the Springfield SA-35. I contacted my favorite gun dealer and asked him to order one. That was 6 months ago. I checked with him the other day and he said he now has 12 of them on order. Nothing received as yet.

Cylinder and Slide has a very good reputation over the years. When I do take delivery of the SA-35 and shoot it a bit, I could see sending it to C&S for some treatment but not the full monty.

My very first pistol was a Browning P-35 purchased in the early 60’s. I kept it until last year when I gave it to my nephew (who was lusting for it). Then I missed it but became aware of the Springfield SA-35. I contacted my favorite gun dealer and asked him to order one. That was 6 months ago. I checked with him the other day and he said he now has 12 of them on order. Nothing received as yet.

Cylinder and Slide has a very good reputation over the years. When I do take delivery of the SA-35 and shoot it a bit, I could see sending it to C&S for some treatment but not the full monty.
It’s worth it. I had my Mk3 sent to them, it’s worth every penny.

What's frustrating is that the Gun Mags all had articles on the SA-35, now the custom gunsmiths are doing their modifications to the SA-35. 90% of the general public have never seen or held one in their hands. Slow down Springfield you have introduced 6 or 7 new pistols in the last year, why not concentrate on building for the general public. Here in South Central Kentucky there is not a single gun shop that has ever seen one. All have the same response, I've got them ordered through my distributor with no idea when they will get them. What is going on Springfield????

What's frustrating is that the Gun Mags all had articles on the SA-35, now the custom gunsmiths are doing their modifications to the SA-35. 90% of the general public have never seen or held one in their hands. Slow down Springfield you have introduced 6 or 7 new pistols in the last year, why not concentrate on building for the general public. Here in South Central Kentucky there is not a single gun shop that has ever seen one. All have the same response, I've got them ordered through my distributor with no idea when they will get them. What is going on Springfield????

I’ve had two local shops that got them in…

Three things - what the hell is a trigger reconnect bar mentioned in the article? Couldn't find it on a parts diagram. Second -I also hate it when a company starts advertising a product 1-2 years before launch and then under produce it. I get it - no one wants to over produce and get stuck with unsaleable product but come on. When you launch and demand so far outstrips supply, why don't they plan for that and have production ready to ramp up? Seems like they plan (and anticipate) for failure far more than for success. Third - why haven't they made a production model with a real beavertail and high cut trigger guard? Sure, some traditionalists don't like it but many people do and as far as I know there's no law prohibiting catering to both. And there's plenty of meat at the junction of the trigger guard for a high cut - done it myself. And, dammit, make an aluminum framed, beavertailed, high cut version for carry, dammit.

I guess I got lucky and picked up one back in May. While I only have 300 rounds through it, there has not been any issues. The trigger has a bit of creep, but that may wear in, if not I can take it to my gunsmith. The trigger is breaking at 5.4 pounds which is too heavy for my licking, but others may not agree. I really like the sight setup and found it to be accurate a my standard distance of 21 feet, however the POI is a bit low. The safety is not very positive, but I do not intend to use it as and EDC so it is no big deal. I'm sure a new spring and plunger would help clean this up. At any rate it is a nice companion piece for my 1984 P-35.

really nice looking firearm, still have not been able to purchase one at msrp, I have 2 Belgium HP's that are great, a "t" prefixed one that is 99% cond. and shoots way better then I can! this S.A. version is a steal at retail msrp and I can wait till they get down to that, But for the work done on this Custom while obviously really nice the 3 + grand for the work is nuts, but if you have enough income to pay for it great, but I think the average gun guy has to be single to be able to afford it.!

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Perfectly Sublime: The Cylinder & Slide Custom SA-35” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/cylinder-slide-custom-sa-35/.

That's a really nice UBER SA-35 you got there, Roy! Unfortunately I'm STILL 6th on the list to receive the SA-35 stock model I ordered at my favorite LE Dealer with I.O.P pricing...back BEFORE they omitted it from the FIRSTLINE list. Can't say I'm real happy about having to pay more for a gun I've been waiting over nine months to receive! I guess it's just a great gun to get for free to review and then trick out and review again, but not so great to make them fast enough to fill back orders! I was once told by a curmudgeon of a Master Chief, "Patience is a virtue...which can be taught"! Right now I guess Springfield Armory is my teacher! (sigh) Just saying...

I've given up hope of ever getting an SA-35. I ordered one last December through the local IOP dealer. In March Springfield cancelled that order and changed to the First Line Program. The SA-35 was not listed on the new program. The dealer contacted me and agreed to order the pistol from Springfield. That was in March and not a word.

Earlier this week I was able to place an online order through Sportsman's Warehouse for a Girsan MCP35. Yesterday they cancelled the order telling me there was insufficient stock to fulfill the order. Today I saw that the same pistol was available in a store 3 hours away. Don't want one that bad, plus a tank of gas would really add to the cost.

One consolation, last week I was able to pick up an excellent condition Belgian Browning GP Competition. The downside, I didn't get through one magazine before it started to double feed. Tried a number of different mags and loads but problem persisted. Got home and did a full tear down and cleaning. The extractor was a bit gummed up. It has the original 32 lb hammer spring and a very stiff recoil spring. Will try to get out and shoot it again this weekend.
GP Competition.jpg

I've given up hope of ever getting an SA-35. I ordered one last December through the local IOP dealer. In March Springfield cancelled that order and changed to the First Line Program. The SA-35 was not listed on the new program. The dealer contacted me and agreed to order the pistol from Springfield. That was in March and not a word.

Earlier this week I was able to place an online order through Sportsman's Warehouse for a Girsan MCP35. Yesterday they cancelled the order telling me there was insufficient stock to fulfill the order. Today I saw that the same pistol was available in a store 3 hours away. Don't want one that bad, plus a tank of gas would really add to the cost.

One consolation, last week I was able to pick up an excellent condition Belgian Browning GP Competition. The downside, I didn't get through one magazine before it started to double feed. Tried a number of different mags and loads but problem persisted. Got home and did a full tear down and cleaning. The extractor was a bit gummed up. It has the original 32 lb hammer spring and a very stiff recoil spring. Will try to get out and shoot it again this weekend. View attachment 30588
@pmiya The GP Competitions are beautiful BHPs. I wish I had one.

Since it's a used BHP I'd look at replacing all the relevant springs with new ones and contact BH Spring Solutions for advice or send it to them get it going again. BHSS are BHP experts and build custom BHPs.

Their Hi-Power University has a wealth of knowledge/info on BHPs.

BTW - If a different Sportsman's Warehouse has a Girsan MC P35 they will likely ship it to your local one for free & pick-up.

I saw that the Match/Ops versions were starting to ship. I think I will hold off the the SA-35 or standard MCP35 and focus my efforts on locating a Match Girsan, I really don't need the rail.

Talyn, thanks for the info on BH Springs. I've looked at a few of their products but have never ordered from them. I have a variety of extra springs for the Hi Power and some extra parts.

Back