testtest

Is Modernizing the SA-35 a Mistake?

I wouldn't have made any of those changes, much less spent hundreds of dollars to do so. AFAIC, the SA-35 is darn close to perfect right out of the box, and is very similar to (probably better than) the P35 I've spent a certain amount of time and money customizing to my liking. About all I'd do to an SA-35 is change the front sight to a ramped design, but hey, that's just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)

As delivered, the SA-35 is already "modernized." It can be improved with some sort of high visibility sights, but that is all it really needs. Throw in cubic dollars and you get a slightly better gun.
I wouldn't mind seeing a factory chopped model. Heck, I'd like to see their first version after all this time. My interest is about half what it was when I first heard about it.

I don't consider the stock SA-35 as "modernized" just because SA went with a BHP Mk. II "Commander-style" hammer, some minor tweaks to the FCG, and merely not installing the magazine retention part.

It's essentially a slightly upgraded T/C-series BHP with some deviations from FN specs.

The Girsan MC P35 Match, OSP & OPS Optic are examples of "modernized" BHP replicas.

Last edited:
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Is Modernizing the SA-35 a Mistake?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-modernizing-the-sa-35-a-mistake/.

No not a mistake if that’s what you want. It does look nice. I’m definitely old school and like mine just fine the way it is except for the front sight. When I got mine it had a serious failure to eject problem. I sent it back and they changed the barrel and ejector it’s runs perfect now. Very quick turn around time. Great pistol.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Is Modernizing the SA-35 a Mistake?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-modernizing-the-sa-35-a-mistake/.

I live in Las Vegas about a 3 mile drive from MkIII firearms. I started using them as my gunsmith about 7 years ago when my former guy moved out of town. I am very pleased with the work they do. They have rebuilt/repaired several vintage 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation S&W DA/SA pistols, then they finished a conversion of an AR15 into dead on replica of Vietnam era XM177E, and finally they did their magic on a early 1954/55 Browning Hi Power marked St. Louis and Montreal. Fantastic finish but typical gritty military trigger with mag. safety. They did complete action job, reasonable price, and it now has a fantastic smooth crisp trigger to go with the finish. I cannot recommend them more highly.

My SA-35 was sent back to Springfield 3 not once 3 times for same issues failure to extract. Finally they agreed to send me a brand new one which they did. They actually had the gun I bought longer in their possession than I had it. Best yet they shipped the new gun with new serial number directly to me instead of going through an FFL dealer. Needless to say knowing the laws I immediately took it to my LGS to have the paperwork properly done. To say the State Police were not too pleased is an understatement that they had done this so yeah not only did they drop the ball as Simon RL stated they smashed it. That's just my experience with the Sa-35. Many have had great success with theirs my first one was an overpriced paperweight.

And how is it that SA dropped the ball on this pistol? I want one as they've already done everything I did to my original HP, which I foolishly sold and didn't replace when the HP's were plentiful and relatively cheap (many, many years ago!).
Cheers,
crkckr
First - you can’t find them in stores for love nor money. And Second - if you do it’s a crap shoot whether you’re going to get a good one or not. Springfield could have captured the market with the SA-35 but whatever went wrong went wrong in a big way and a massive opportunity was squandered.

I have a SA 35 that I picked up at MSRP just by ordering one and waiting for it to show, about 5 months, got it in the spring of this year. When I was discussing the pistol with MkIII Firearms, they told me that in the first run of 5000 pistols some had problems with extraction and/or ejection, so many got sent back that SA was shipping many of them to MkIII for repair/adjustments. that's why they were hard to find, the second run of 5000 was delayed while the issue was worked out. Mine is from that second batch of 5000 and no issues, runs smooth, excellent trigger out of the box.

My SA-35 was sent back to Springfield 3 not once 3 times for same issues failure to extract. Finally they agreed to send me a brand new one which they did. They actually had the gun I bought longer in their possession than I had it. Best yet they shipped the new gun with new serial number directly to me instead of going through an FFL dealer. Needless to say knowing the laws I immediately took it to my LGS to have the paperwork properly done. To say the State Police were not too pleased is an understatement that they had done this so yeah not only did they drop the ball as Simon RL stated they smashed it. That's just my experience with the Sa-35. Many have had great success with theirs my first one was an overpriced paperweight.
If the govt can ship illegals all over the country, then a gun should be able to be shipped direct.. 🫣😉🙃🙃

Back