testtest

What Is a Belgian "Blindicide”?

Contrary to what the author says, the overwhelming number of the Syrian tanks destroyed on the Golan Heights during the Yom Kipper War were destroyed by Israeli tanks than the RL-83.

The RL-83s were used by the Israeli troops in the string of observation posts along the cease-fire line that were bypassed by the swarms of Syrian tanks, as well as rear area posts that came under attack.

Aside from a couple of inaccuracies this is a good account of the Battle for the Golan.

More...The Saga of OZ 77 in the Arab-Israeli War of 1973

and...

Last edited:
Contrary to what the author says, the overwhelming number of the Syrian tanks destroyed on the Golan Heights during the Yom Kipper War were destroyed by Israeli tanks than the RL-83.

The RL-83s were used by the Israeli troops in the string of observation posts along the cease-fire line that were bypassed by the swarms of Syrian tanks, as well as rear area posts that came under attack.

Aside from a couple of inaccuracies this is a good account of the Battle for the Golan.

Thank you for the insight, and link. However, I didn't mean to imply that the RL-83 was the primary weapon to destroy the Syrian tanks in the Yom Kippur War.

I wrote, "The RL-83 was further credited with destroying many of the Syrian’s 500-plus vehicles, which included 260 to 300 T-55 and T-62 tanks, lost in the October 6-9, 1973 fighting in the Golan Heights region now known as the Valley of Tears."

I only meant to imply many tanks were destroyed with the weapon, not an overwhelming number.

More...The Saga of OZ 77 in the Arab-Israeli War of 1973

and...

Well thanks. I got sucked down the rabbit hole and have been reading about various Israeli-Arab conflicts for the last 3 hours.

The inaccuracies in the first link article where...

#1 page 12. -

The correct info is...

The Israeli so-called "Super Shermans" (M50 model) in the 67 & 73 wars still had the original US M4(75) turret, but heavily modified, with the French 75mm gun (a copy of the WW2 German Panther tank gun) for the AMX-13, NOT a French turret with a British (L7) 105mm (only the Centurion tanks on the Golan had British L7 105s).

1667667437074.png

The Israeli so-called "Ishermans" (M51 model) in the 67 & 73 wars had the larger late-WW2 T23 turret (i.e. the M4A3E8 "Easy 8" - See the movie "Fury") modified to accept the French 105mm D-1508 (a shortened version of the AMX-30 105mm gun). Note: Most M51s used the M4A1 hull type although some M51s used M4A3 hulls.

1667667401367.png

Bonus: The name "Super Sherman" only refers to around sixty or so 76.2mm armed M4A1 and M4A3 Shermans ("Easy 8") (designated M-1 in Israeli service) acquired from France before the 1956 war. Later, these were typically used by border defense units, but some may have had limited use in the 73 war.

1667669762458.png

Bonus 2: The Israeli Golan observation posts also each a platoon (3) tanks, most likely Centurions, but sometimes more.

Note: The Israeli's heavily modified their Shermans', as well as their other tanks, to improve the tanks performance for the conditions they are used in.

#2: Page 26. The author stated in error the Israeli's used Chinook helicopters to retake the Mt. Hermon site.

Israel has never used Chinooks. They have always used CH53s as their heavy transport helicopter and are buying the new CH53K to replace the old ones.

Last edited:
Thank you for the insight, and link. However, I didn't mean to imply that the RL-83 was the primary weapon to destroy the Syrian tanks in the Yom Kippur War.

I wrote, "The RL-83 was further credited with destroying many of the Syrian’s 500-plus vehicles, which included 260 to 300 T-55 and T-62 tanks, lost in the October 6-9, 1973 fighting in the Golan Heights region now known as the Valley of Tears."

I only meant to imply many tanks were destroyed with the weapon, not an overwhelming number.
The BL-83's was most used in defense of the 17 Israeli Golan outposts along the Purple Line, the defense of the Israeli division headquarters at the Nafekh crossroads, and the two Battles to retake the Mt. Hermon outpost.

Well thanks. I got sucked down the rabbit hole and have been reading about various Israeli-Arab conflicts for the last 3 hours.
More "light" reading....:sneaky:

Back