testtest

Can You CCW a Double-Stack 1911?

Carrying a full size double stack 1911 is doable for a small percentage of Americans. Many of us are overweight and carrying options are limited.
I often carry a four inch 1911 and spare mag but I can’t carry it appendix style. If you have any amount of belly hanging over your belt you get stabbed on top as well as the bottom.

If you feel the need to carry a double stack pistol why not a 9mm?
This article was an advertisement to sell holsters for this company, nothing more.

Carrying a full size double stack 1911 is doable for a small percentage of Americans. Many of us are overweight and carrying options are limited.
I often carry a four inch 1911 and spare mag but I can’t carry it appendix style. If you have any amount of belly hanging over your belt you get stabbed on top as well as the bottom.

If you feel the need to carry a double stack pistol why not a 9mm?
This article was an advertisement to sell holsters for this company, nothing more.
Um.

The pistol in the holster—a SA Prodigy—is 9mm.

And why not carry a doublestack .45? Why do you have to carry a 9mm?

I understand that an average height and weight person could conceal a 5" 1911. I'm 5'4 and carry a 4.25" RO often, my only issue remains printing of the frame being visible. How can I break up that printing? is it simply wearing a coat or another shirt over my t shirt?

I see no advantage to carrying a 40oz 9mm with 15 rounds of capacity when I can carry a rock-solid reliable, very accurate polymer gun with the same (or better) capacity, in a smaller and much lighter package.

Don't get me wrong - I love shooting my Prodigy, but not enough to lug an extra pound and a half around on my belt all day for no particular reason. It has nothing to do with whether I "can" or not, I just don't know why I would for nothing gained.

With the right holster a double stack 1911 is not too difficult. I carried a Para Ordinance P14-45 in a Mernickle leather holster and it was pretty comfortable. Now that I'm older the weight of a regular 1911 is a bit much for my surgically repaired neck, much less a double stack 1911. I enjoyed carrying the firepower of a full size double stack 1911 in 45 acp...:) More power to you all who's bodies can handle the weight...:)

I see no advantage to carrying a 40oz 9mm with 15 rounds of capacity when I can carry a rock-solid reliable, very accurate polymer gun with the same (or better) capacity, in a smaller and much lighter package.

Don't get me wrong - I love shooting my Prodigy, but not enough to lug an extra pound and a half around on my belt all day for no particular reason. It has nothing to do with whether I "can" or not, I just don't know why I would for nothing gained.

The typical polymer isn’t as accurate as a good 1911…that’s reason enough for me.

Don't get me wrong - I love shooting my Prodigy, but not enough to lug an extra pound and a half around on my belt all day for no particular reason.
Some people like the feel of a all metal firearm. I used to be one of those guys. But now that I'm older and had neck surgery my body just can't handle the weight. I'm glad that there's some great polymer firearms that are lighter and have good capacity. If I didn't have my injuries I'd still be carrying a 1911(double or single stack). There's lots of good 1911s out there in 45 acp and 9 mm. Even a Para Ordinance double stack in 40 S&W would be nice to be able to carry..:)

The typical polymer isn’t as accurate as a good 1911…that’s reason enough for me.
I'm referring to a high quality polymer with polygonal rifling (HK, Walther, etc..). They are every bit as accurate as they need to be. But folks should carry whatever they feel most accurate with, for sure.

Some people like the feel of a all metal firearm. I used to be one of those guys.
Yup, I get that. I own quite a few all metal firearms and I love the way they feel and shoot.

I'm referring to a high quality polymer with polygonal rifling (HK, Walther, etc..). They are every bit as accurate as they need to be. But folks should carry whatever they feel most accurate with, for sure.

Yup, I get that. I own quite a few all metal firearms and I love the way they feel and shoot.
You mean a Glock? Never met one that can hold up to a 1911; nor can my VP9’s (although the longslide comes close).

The only polymer pistols I’ve ever met that can run with a decent 1911 would be my HK Tacticals and Expert…which don’t weigh a whole lot less.

You mean a Glock? Never met one that can hold up to a 1911; nor can my VP9’s (although the longslide comes close).

The only polymer pistols I’ve ever met that can run with a decent 1911 would be my HK Tacticals and Expert…which don’t weigh a whole lot less.
I'm really not interested in debating this. I'm very familiar with the high degree of accuracy that is possible with the 1911, and I clearly did not say above that I think a "Glock is just as accurate as a good 1911." I'm saying that I believe a quality modern pistol is plenty accurate enough for self-defense. If you don't agree, that's fine.

Last edited:
I tried appendix carrying my XD Mod.2 subcompact and it was a big fail. Maybe I've succumbed to too much banana pudding or maybe I had the wrong holster, but it just didn't "disappear" like you see on the tactical YouTube channels (and Armory Life videos). I carry IWB at the 4 o'clock position and it works great, conceals well, and is pretty comfortable, even on long drives.

If I was going to try and conceal carry something bigger, it would be my XDM Elite Tactical OSP: 9mm, 5.25" barrel, 22+1 capacity and very smooth to shoot. If I could find a good IWB holster for it - one that would make the grip hug my body - I'd give it a shot... maybe the folks at LAS Concealment have something that fits? :unsure:

Back