testtest

Ayoob: Secrets of Cross Draw — Mistake or CCW Masterstroke?

When I was younger, stupider, and--most importantly--thinner, I often carried a Walther PP .22 cross-draw off-duty. I'd have to lose a certain amount of #s to make it viable for me again today.

Good to see my old friend Booya Sam discuss the almost-forgotten Cavalry Draw. That's a carry position that's actually got a lot going for it. (It has its drawbacks, too, of course. What doesn't?)

Since the 80s I have carried concealed crossdraw, mostly when working if I wasn't sitting at a desk, I was sitting in a vehicle drivers seat. The seat belt and shoulder harness connects next to the right hip in the drivers seat makes a crossdraw much more accessible compared to holster on right hip under or behind the belt.

I grew up in Alaska and carried crossdraw from my earlier memories in great part for some of the more “cowboy” reasons noted here. As I got older, it became a .41 mag Blackhawk as it was the most comfortable and assessable carry when working in an out of an aircraft.
In the military I used CD carry as, again the most comfortable carry for 1911 and, my favorite, the Browning Hi Power. I was also introduced at this time to the Tanker holster for the 1911. That allows CD but carries above the belt line at the rib cage.
Then came the advent of the modern CD Chest Holster that likely first saw its modern introduction as a part of the tactical vest evolution. Although the chest holster was seen and used on occasion in the 1800’s west and there was a rendition of it when one might carry a “brace” of three or four flint lock pistoles in a cross chest bandolier, I think is may have come into its own as a way to carry large caliber, heavy wheel guns used for hunting in places like Alaska , Northern Canada, and Africa.
The military applications may have started with pilots who found that chest carry was easy, an accessible yet up an out of the way of flight operations. Spec. Ops. has found this mode of carry too for much the same reasons.
As an Alaskan hunter and fisherman
I “chest” CD carry in the field almost exclusively. It allows for comfortable, accessible, secure carry of large frame pistoles and revolvers while not getting in the way of free movement or use of other equipment or tools.
I EDC carry either on-belt cross draw or small-of-back these days as it works well for me regardless of the platform I choose to carry on any given day.
From a security point of view with all the new “secure carry” holsters on the market today it does present a far more secure form of carry options.
If CD Carry is out of fashion as suggested, one has to ask why there are still a fair number of CD carry options from nearly every holster manufacture?
A draw does not have to be fast..
It has to be solid, secure, accurate and quick.

Use cross-draw almost exclusively on a belt and shoulder holster. It keeps the handgun from banging on my long gun if I am carrying one. It is far more comfortable sitting in a vehicle (especially the shoulder rig). Allows concealment of a longer barreled gun (again especially the shoulder holster). It saves the seat upholstery and my coats, shirts when seated in a vehicle. Lastly, it saves my aging back as is mentioned in the article. I use neutral cant holsters.

I work in sport coats, suit coats, top coats, overcoats and raincoats. I have pocket, IWB, Belt loop OWB, clip-ones, single shoulder (pistol only) & double shoulder (pistol & mags) holsters for 7 or 8 pistols. So how do I move my coat(s) out of the way with my left hand and draw with my (stronger) right? I can’t just lift “up” or pull back 2-4 feet of cloth like an untucked shirt from my right side. No the best draw I have is pull back my coat(s) with my left hand and draw my CZ 9mm from left side with my right hand from my shoulder holster. Jeans in the summer with a light shirt, sure, appendix carry a .380 Sig just in case I cant walk away from trouble. Joe Friday was doing best for his uniform, which was coat and tie.

Last edited:
Two other advantages of cross draw are, if you find yourself backlight, as might occur if you enter a dark room, from opposite you, it is harder to tell that you have drawn your weapon or even that you are carrying, & if an assailant is charging you, a twist of the wrist brings the gun forward toward the attacker with no need to lift the weapon.

Thank you for this article. Much appreciated. I am 78 with a deteriorating right shoulder socket making standard strong side draw very painful and, in fact, almost impossible. Therefore, when I began concealed carrying, I found myself having to carry on the weak-side, butt forward so I could cross draw. However finding a holster from ANY manufacturer for my EDC weapon (a Taurus G3C with under-barrel laser) with any amount of negative cant so the butt was angled forward at the right degree turned out to be impossible. Fortunately, Viridian Weapon Tech stepped up and modified a UM Tactical holster for me ... at no extra cost, I might add! Great customer service on their part! They've gained a faithful customer for future purchases. But the entire experience of finding a suitable crossdraw holster made me think I was some kind of oddball. Your article has done two things for me. First it has shown me I am not alone. And second it has taught me better (proper?) placement of my weak side support arm while drawing. Thank you.

I used to use a version of the "cavalry draw" with an ambidextrous shoulder holster. I carried it on my right side with the pistol hanging in the grip down position. I would reach up with my right hand under my right shoulder and grab the grip and flip the snap.

Great article, I enjoyed this one. My daily CW is carried in the cross draw appendix IWB position, with my spare IWB mag carriers on my strong side where they're easy to access with my support hand. For me, this is a very fast position to access and get my weapon into action. Most importantly, it keeps my firearm in front of me, where someone behind me would have a difficult time snatching it. I practice drawing from different angles and stance limitations, different clothing, various distance and speed factors, etc. to try to be proficient regardless of the scenario, and appendix cross draw seems to check all the boxes for me. Doc Holliday did all right with it, too, so who can argue with Doc? ;) I do recommend training with an angled stance when drawing and presenting from this carry position, though. I shoot right-handed, and whenever possible will have my right foot back and my hips angled approx. 45 degrees off the centerline to my target. This lets the muzzle clear the holster already rising on that centerline. Once clear, the support hand releases the concealing clothing and take its place on the weapon as it's coming up. It's surprisingly efficient.

Thank you for this article. Much appreciated. I am 78 with a deteriorating right shoulder socket making standard strong side draw very painful and, in fact, almost impossible. Therefore, when I began concealed carrying, I found myself having to carry on the weak-side, butt forward so I could cross draw. However finding a holster from ANY manufacturer for my EDC weapon (a Taurus G3C with under-barrel laser) with any amount of negative cant so the butt was angled forward at the right degree turned out to be impossible. Fortunately, Viridian Weapon Tech stepped up and modified a UM Tactical holster for me ... at no extra cost, I might add! Great customer service on their part! They've gained a faithful customer for future purchases. But the entire experience of finding a suitable crossdraw holster made me think I was some kind of oddball. Your article has done two things for me. First it has shown me I am not alone. And second it has taught me better (proper?) placement of my weak side support arm while drawing. Thank you.
Try Falco. I have had several holsters made with neutral cants. Falco will make whatever cant you desire and for many guns with different sights.

I carry strong hand, “right handed” however I’ve been including a backup (cross draw) depending on where I’m going.

My question for Ayoob, what’s up with the super dark sunglasses on what looks to be a cloudy day?

Yup it’s “nit picking” Friday for me. 🤦‍♂️🫢

Only my shoulder( Hunting) rigs are cross draw. Even if I wanted to have one in each hand, ala John Wick, neither would be cross draw. I mean it looked cool when Billy did it in Young Guns, but I don't think it lends itself to economy of movement very well.

Great article, I enjoyed this one. My daily CW is carried in the cross draw appendix IWB position, with my spare IWB mag carriers on my strong side where they're easy to access with my support hand. For me, this is a very fast position to access and get my weapon into action. Most importantly, it keeps my firearm in front of me, where someone behind me would have a difficult time snatching it. I practice drawing from different angles and stance limitations, different clothing, various distance and speed factors, etc. to try to be proficient regardless of the scenario, and appendix cross draw seems to check all the boxes for me. Doc Holliday did all right with it, too, so who can argue with Doc? ;) I do recommend training with an angled stance when drawing and presenting from this carry position, though. I shoot right-handed, and whenever possible will have my right foot back and my hips angled approx. 45 degrees off the centerline to my target. This lets the muzzle clear the holster already rising on that centerline. Once clear, the support hand releases the concealing clothing and take its place on the weapon as it's coming up. It's surprisingly efficient.
I was trained, as most of us were I think, using the Weaver Stance for using a pistol. Some time prior to the John Wick movies I was introduced to the CAR (Center Axis Relock) shooting method as a better, more intuitive deployment an employment means from the Cross Draw position. I found that the CAR works very well, especially if one is carting a large or full frame platform.
For me it is a smoother transition from holster to target acquisition with, what seems to me, a natural and intuitive movement.
Also, the CAR method puts the users body position in the smallest profile aspect to the target without giving it any thought.
I practice this several times a week and of course it may be done as a dry fire exercise. I would also suggest a basic course in its fundamentals if interested. Strive to as high a degree of competency, comfort coupled with target acquisition as one may be able to attain. For about 99% of us this will be more than sufficient for CD EDC. The John W. / Hollywood / level is really not the goal nor attainable to most of us! However, the CAR system is a viable method to consider.

I was trained, as most of us were I think, using the Weaver Stance for using a pistol. Some time prior to the John Wick movies I was introduced to the CAR (Center Axis Relock) shooting method as a better, more intuitive deployment an employment means from the Cross Draw position. I found that the CAR works very well, especially if one is carting a large or full frame platform.
For me it is a smoother transition from holster to target acquisition with, what seems to me, a natural and intuitive movement.
Also, the CAR method puts the users body position in the smallest profile aspect to the target without giving it any thought.
I practice this several times a week and of course it may be done as a dry fire exercise. I would also suggest a basic course in its fundamentals if interested. Strive to as high a degree of competency, comfort coupled with target acquisition as one may be able to attain. For about 99% of us this will be more than sufficient for CD EDC. The John W. / Hollywood / level is really not the goal nor attainable to most of us! However, the CAR system is a viable method to consider.
I think for the most part CAR is just something people do to look cool. Are there advantages, sure, but there are also disadvantages. I am familiar enough with it to do it consistently because it's something I worked on when I first figured out I was cross eye dominant and was developing my technique for dealing with that.

It's definitely not something I would whip out unless I was clearing a house or something though. Even then I am more likely to use SUL.

I think for the most part CAR is just something people do to look cool. Are there advantages, sure, but there are also disadvantages. I am familiar enough with it to do it consistently because it's something I worked on when I first figured out I was cross eye dominant and was developing my technique for dealing with that.

It's definitely not something I would whip out unless I was clearing a house or something though. Even then I am more likely to use SUL.
I don’t, an didn’t mean to suggest that CAR was/is a be all end all position. I’m sorry if that’s how my comment came across. It was meant only as an observation from my own expierance with cross draw carry as a viable means of access and effective deployment. I find it comfortable and effective, useful in confined spaces and CQC. And very compatible with the Cross Draw (belt, shoulder or chest holster) carry option in relation to deploying that weapon.
Mr. Marrs’s SUL method is yet another stance that also has its pros a cons, detractors a proponents. Is neither good nor bad but simply another option.
I don’t suggest a “one or the other” mindset here. One must remain flexible and open to options that may improve performance.
If a system works, and one finds it to their liking and use, recognizes its plus a minus points and adapts accordingly I am not one to suggest they are wrong.

I tend to use cross draw for comfort when using my full frame for carry. I think it's much better for sitting, especially in my truck. I also believe I don't print as much compared to when I carry strong side. Just my opinion...

Back