testtest

German K43 Rifle: Deutschland’s DMR

G43s are cool! I've never owned, shot, or even handled one, but I kinda dig 'em just the same.

About 15 years ago I bought a Chinese JW-14 semiauto .22 rifle, and it eventually struck me that it looked kinda sorta a little G43-ish and thought it might be fun to turn it into a faux mini-G43 sniper. Bought the smallest cheap scope I could find (I think it's for a shotgun) and mounted it on high rings as far back as I could get it. Then I'd print up 1/6 scale silhouette targets and "snipe" them at 50 yards. Pretty fun for the minimal investment involved.

Here's the JW-14 between an Israeli suplus K98 in 7.62 NATO and a Russian Tula SKS. Doesn't look THAT out of place, does it? ;)

1672163543248.jpeg

Got to handle a couple of G43's at gun shows but never had any interest in taking a 2nd mortgage for one. Did get to fire a friend's Hakim a couple of times though. I know it's not the same but the feel is close. My Garand is way more accurate than the Hakim was.

Congratulations Doctor on your new (old) gun, and getting it set up as a DM/Sniper Rifle. It's always perplexed me why the German High Command was so hidebound in their insistence of No Gas Port on small arms barrels. Gas Trap works, but a host of issues makes it a lot less effective than ported systems, and excessive fouling was a problem.
Enjoyed the article and brief history very much. Thank you, and Best Wishes to you and your family for a Happy New Year.

Back