testtest

Story of the Krag: The Springfield Model 1892 Infantry Rifle

I've had the privilege of shooting a couple of Krags, and it is a very smooth action. Much smoother than the 1903 Springfield we have in the family. The Krag really is what I'd call, a beautifully engineered/designed action, and the side loading gate, a very novel and well executed concept. I'd love to add one to my modest collection, but those I've run across, are well outside this retiree's budget. Maybe one day I'll find one I can afford.
Have any of you Krag owners tried reloading with a modern and better BC Spitzer bullets? Did you see an increase in accuracy/performance?

In the 1970's I was a clerk in a sporting goods store in Vermont. There were several local guys who used Krags for hunting and said one of the Krags advantages wa you could load it with gloves on.

I started hunting at age 12 with a Krag gifted by my grandfather. Both grandfathers and my dad also hunted with Krag s. I started out 2 of my sons with my Krag after I graduated to 06. Still have my Krag and my son has my dads. We’ve discussed perhaps using them next year together to hunt deer. I have reloading dies and quite a bit of brass so we plan to load up a few boxes for practice and hunting.

As I understand it most of the state national guard troops that went ashore in Cuba were armed with Springfield trapdoor 45-70s. That also explained why the U.S. Army was so disenchanted with their current armament and the old trapdoor. The muzzle velocity and hence the range was limited by the position of locking lugs on the bolt which were back on the bolt on the Krag. The head space would be increased dangerously if the power of the bullet was significantly increased. The Mauser's locking lugs were all the way forward on the bullet and could tolerate much higher muzzle velocities. Explains why when the U.S. went to the Springfield '03 it was basically a copy of the Mauser with the locking lugs forward. After WWI U.S. paid the Germans for incorporating various features lifted from the Mauser.

Worthy of note: The Krag was also used by U.S. troops fighting in China during the Boxer rebellion, and again in South America "protecting" American assets. More extraneous facts: many Krags were converted to "Sheriff's model carbines by cutting down the stock and barrel. These should not be confused with the actual cavalry model carbines which were not cut downs and had saddle rings. Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Rider's were equipped with cavalry model Krags even though very few of their horses made it ashore.

I have had the good fortune of having fired many rounds from a Krag, and the smoothness of the bolt is absolutely true. I would also add that it is a rather pleasant weapon to shoot; especially when compared to a 30-06. Much less kick.

Last edited:
I spotted this Krag at the local outdoor range and told the fellow I would buy it.
A few months later the deal was made.
I shoot 200 grain cast bullets it with a velocity of 1600 ft/sec. It's a fun gun to shoot off the bench at the 200 yard plates!

Attachments

• 20220504_175238_resized.jpg
    20220504_175238_resized.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 96
Back