testtest

Ayoob: How to Find the Red Dot on Your EDC

This is so helpful. I will certainly do my best to adopt a couple of these strategies.

With practice and muscle memory I have no issues seeing the dot 95% of the time. When I don’t at initial presentation all I have to do is lower the muzzle slightly, I’m always good side to side.
Practice, practice, practice.

Standing in front of a target and pulling your pistol and having the dot on target is the “easy” part. Running around with your gun, varying speed, coming to a rapid halt and quick moving again, running from cover back to another covered position where you can’t point your gun at a shooter or potentially toward people at your fall back position are the moments when you can’t believe you can’t find the dot. Popping out from behind tight cover where you can’t keep your gun extended and trying to get you gun and dot pointed at the target without exposing yourself is another one. @KillerFord1977 hire a personal instructor specifically because of this. Every session we do there’s that moment where you think “That would have got me killed.” Movement under extreme pressure looks like fun, but like running uphill, it’s usually when you’re at the point of no return that you question your decision making process. Practice, practice, practice is great advice, but you know what else is - know your limitations.

Good article! I use iron sights mainly. I wanted to be set for longer distance shots like was discussed here. But seeing the dot is hit and miss for me. But no matter how you slice it...if you got trouble finding the dot...that is time you don't have when time counts. For CQB it is point shooting. To time for fooling 'round.

You have to practice the presentation hundreds of times to get reliable dot acquisition. When I attended a LE instructor course on red dots this was a topic of much discussion among the many experienced instructors. Many of us concluded that we had been presenting the gun with iron sights wrong all along. By presenting the pistol to eye level in a consisent manner and building neuromuscular memory, finding the dot and getting on target happened quicker than with iron sight alignment. I also discovered that when switching back to iron sights, sight acquisition was faster as a result of red dot practice. I found that I was much faster on the first shot with a red dot than with iron sights, but not as precise. The MOA size of the dot acccounts for this.

Great article. Thank you Mr. Ayoob for sharing your knowledge, experiences and observations with us.
I've contemplated making the jump to a Red Dot equipped pistol, but so far have hesitated taking the plunge. I really like them on my AR's especially for close quarter drills, though my main 5.56 AR is set up to quickly swap to a scope for more precision shooting.
You've given me more information to consider before I take the plunge and add this tech to a pistol.

Great article. Thank you Mr. Ayoob for sharing your knowledge, experiences and observations with us.
I've contemplated making the jump to a Red Dot equipped pistol, but so far have hesitated taking the plunge. I really like them on my AR's especially for close quarter drills, though my main 5.56 AR is set up to quickly swap to a scope for more precision shooting.
You've given me more information to consider before I take the plunge and add this tech to a pistol.
I have red dots on all my ARs and most of my shotguns. Nothing better. Red dot on a pistol is different. So different as to almost be 2 separate things IMO.

Back