testtest

Owen Gun: Down Under’s Upside Down SMG

Oddly enough, I just "googled" this firearm after first learning of it in the "Monster Hunter" series of books, by Larry Correia.

My first "look" at the Owen came from Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons. He has a video made around 2019 I believe in which he covered the weapon. The Australian Military really did give them the run around, insisting on various ridiculous caliber changes that made no sense whatsoever. Finally, Wardell got significant pressure to put on the military through the public, media and Politicians for the government to tell the military to knock their crap off and give it an honest trial. In trial, it beat out everything else including the Thompson and Bergman SMGs and even operated in conditions that froze up the Sten.

In the last photo, my Father Jack H Skipper MC is drinking pineapple juice after a patrol.

The full caption is

Weary soldiers of B Company, Ist Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (1RAR), just back from an all night patrol during which they engaged am enemy force. Pictured left to right, Lieutenant J. H. Skipper of Perth WA, Lance Corporal David Young of Cuper-Fife Scotland, Corporal Bill Crotty of Adelaide SA, drinking pineapple juice by their platoon cook house. All three are armed with Owen sub-machine gun.

The action that night and other actions on other days were mentioned in the citation for my Fathers Military Cross.

Fun fact: Their toilets swirl counterclockwise down there.
I asked a friend who visited Australia if that were really true some years ago, and he confirmed that it was. And then added, "But the REALLY weird thing is that all the light switches work backwards, too--down is ON and up is OFF." It only just occurred to me that he might have been yanking my chain. :confused:

Ya'll go flush your toilet and report back if you have an Australian or American toilet.

And the Aussie's drive on the wrong side of the road.

Back