testtest

How Many .308 Hits Can a Level IV Plate Survive?

Good article.…but again, it’s the plate that survives - not the wearer.
Just the wallop (such as from the .308 with lV plate) need not penetrate to kill…the trauma alone can and will stop a heart. A no-seat belt chest impact from steering wheel can cause cardiac arrest and death.

Would be a heck of a shock factor to the vitals getting hit with a .308 or multiple rounds. Going to bet may be some crippling factor to the body with that.
Though, good to know the plate stop the penetration of a .308
You’d think that, but…there’s a video of the founder of Second Chance vests getting shot, point blank, by a FAL while wearing a rifle-rated vest. He even stands on one foot to disprove the myth of “knockdown” power…

He barely moves.

Not like the movies where there is a perfect mushroom projectile stuck to the plate.

7.62x39 rounds have knocked folks off their feet with direct hits to chest plates.
That’s psychological, not physical. The bullet doesn’t have near enough energy to move a full grown person.

Again, see my comment about the guy taking a .308 in the vest while standing on one foot.

It's always been my assumption that tests are done at point-blank range, but ratings don't always say that.

I'd like to see plates/BA ratings for ammo types for longer ranges. If a Level 4 plate can take a round w/o penetration at point-blank to 50 yds., I'd like to see tests at longer ranges with Level 3/3+ plates since the various rifle/pistol rounds will be slowing down the further out you go.

Based on my AOPs I prefer Level 3+ lightweight.

Armored_Republic_Body_Armor_Levels_Chart_Logo_Only.jpg

Last edited:
Shotstop Diridium. Supposedly great stuff. Nice and expensive.

I've seen what green tips do to AR500 at 25-50 yards. Not lugging that stuff around for that performance level. Ceramic plates are lighter, but don't drop them or rough handle them too much. If I'm spending money on plates I figure I'll spend more and get the Shotstop plates. The odds of me ever needing them are slim unless I'm on the range with that Asian dude on the other thread with the hostage target. :cool:

Would be a heck of a shock factor to the vitals getting hit with a .308 or multiple rounds. Going to bet may be some crippling factor to the body with that.
Though, good to know the plate stop the penetration of a .308
Trauma pads help, but still...

1678931901241.jpeg

Backface_Deformation.jpg

How do you prevent backface deformation injuries?

There are two ways to mitigate backface deformation in soft armor: Wearing thicker vests or using trauma pads. Thicker vests, however, can add weight and significant cost to a ballistic vest.

For hard armor, wearing trauma pads or a layer of soft armor behind the plate can also attenuate the backface deformation.

Trauma pads are pads that, while not bullet resistant, are quite useful for decreasing and distributing a bullet’s energy beyond what the vest or armor plate can do by itself. They are worn in your carrier behind the armor.

Trauma pads help, but still...

View attachment 37705

Backface_Deformation.jpg

How do you prevent backface deformation injuries?

There are two ways to mitigate backface deformation in soft armor: Wearing thicker vests or using trauma pads. Thicker vests, however, can add weight and significant cost to a ballistic vest.

For hard armor, wearing trauma pads or a layer of soft armor behind the plate can also attenuate the backface deformation.

Trauma pads are pads that, while not bullet resistant, are quite useful for decreasing and distributing a bullet’s energy beyond what the vest or armor plate can do by itself. They are worn in your carrier behind the armor.
Don't forget the splay layer for the front as fragments can cause damage also. Some might be covered in it already?

Shotstop Diridium. Supposedly great stuff. Nice and expensive.

I've seen what green tips do to AR500 at 25-50 yards. Not lugging that stuff around for that performance level. Ceramic plates are lighter, but don't drop them or rough handle them too much. If I'm spending money on plates I figure I'll spend more and get the Shotstop plates. The odds of me ever needing them are slim unless I'm on the range with that Asian dude on the other thread with the hostage target. :cool:

Back