testtest

HH-3E Jolly Green Giant: The Big Green Angel

A father of a close friend of mine was shot down and rescued over N Vietnam by some Jolly Greens. Whole thing was filmed by a combat photographer who was on the mission . We have a copy of the film and interviews with his dad and crew who rescued him. His WSO was picked up by the 2nd Jolly Green and neither aircrew knew the other was alive until both birds landed back at base.
Is a very cool video and story to watch. Have not watched it in years.
May have to dig it out and view it again

Man these articles keep taking me back to my youth. I made several trips as part of a site security team to crash sites in the back of Jolly Greens. The pilots had already been rescued but we were there to secure sensitive gear and ordnance. To this day a pair of Jolly Green Giant green footprints is the symbol of USAF Pararescuemen. Most Pararescuemen have the green feet tattooed on them somewhere.

Attachments

• green-feet-left-foot-forward.svg_.hi_.png
    green-feet-left-foot-forward.svg_.hi_.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 89
A father of a close friend of mine was shot down and rescued over N Vietnam by some Jolly Greens. Whole thing was filmed by a combat photographer who was on the mission . We have a copy of the film and interviews with his dad and crew who rescued him. His WSO was picked up by the 2nd Jolly Green and neither aircrew knew the other was alive until both birds landed back at base.
Well, been awhile since I watched it. Had aircrew backwards for Pilot/Nav.
A member actually posted it to youtube years ago.

Here is the combat film footage of the rescue:

I was a HH-3E crew chief. I guess you could say I still am. Someday I’ll get the feet tattooed on but not yet ready for that many needle sticks (I really hate needles). I was stationed in Iceland of all places in the late ‘80’s. We had some of the longest rescues while flying around the North Atlantic.
Our birds could fly in some pretty miserable weather and make landings wherever necessary. With the hoist, we could pluck fishermen off their ships when they got too sick or badly injured to remain at sea.
Your article brought back many great memories. Thank you Dr Dabbs for bringing your unique style to our Jolly Greens.
As an aside, I returned to Iceland in the ‘90’s. By then the HH-3E’s were replaced by the HH-60G. Another great helicopter, not as versatile as the H-3’s but could fly in some truly miserable weather. Between my two tours we saved a total of 10 people.

I was a HH-3E crew chief. I guess you could say I still am. Someday I’ll get the feet tattooed on but not yet ready for that many needle sticks (I really hate needles). I was stationed in Iceland of all places in the late ‘80’s. We had some of the longest rescues while flying around the North Atlantic.
Our birds could fly in some pretty miserable weather and make landings wherever necessary. With the hoist, we could pluck fishermen off their ships when they got too sick or badly injured to remain at sea.
Your article brought back many great memories. Thank you Dr Dabbs for bringing your unique style to our Jolly Greens.
As an aside, I returned to Iceland in the ‘90’s. By then the HH-3E’s were replaced by the HH-60G. Another great helicopter, not as versatile as the H-3’s but could fly in some truly miserable weather. Between my two tours we saved a total of 10 people.
You are a hero sir! I have family members who are PJ's and friends who fly the RSQ birds. My daughter is a USAF flight surgeon who trains and works with PJ's and other Special Warfare operators. Most People have no idea of the skill and courage involved in RSQ missions.

Last edited:
You are a hero sir! I have family members who are PJ's and friends who fly the RSQ birds. My daughter is a USAF flight surgeon who trains and works with PJ's and other Special Warfare operators. Most People have no idea of the skill and courage involved in RSQ missions.
I appreciate the thought but I’m no hero. I fixed the birds so the aircrew and PJ’s could do their jobs. I made sure the H-3’s were safe to operate and could perform their missions by maintaining, inspecting and overhauling helicopter systems. I was the ground crew that launched the bird to accomplish the mission. I served with heroes and helped them in every way I could.
Thanks to your daughter! Without her and other flight surgeons, our crews wouldn’t be able to fly.
I will say I’m a bit of a PJ groupie. These guys are/were amazing! When it’s all said and done, the pilots, flight engineers, maintainers and all the folks in the squadron and those who support our efforts, make sure that when the PJ descends the rescue hoist, jumps from the door or parachutes from the ramp, everything works so they can save lives.
Our mottos are “That Others May Live” and “Friends in Low Places”.

I appreciate the thought but I’m no hero. I fixed the birds so the aircrew and PJ’s could do their jobs. I made sure the H-3’s were safe to operate and could perform their missions by maintaining, inspecting and overhauling helicopter systems. I was the ground crew that launched the bird to accomplish the mission. I served with heroes and helped them in every way I could.
Thanks to your daughter! Without her and other flight surgeons, our crews wouldn’t be able to fly.
I will say I’m a bit of a PJ groupie. These guys are/were amazing! When it’s all said and done, the pilots, flight engineers, maintainers and all the folks in the squadron and those who support our efforts, make sure that when the PJ descends the rescue hoist, jumps from the door or parachutes from the ramp, everything works so they can save lives.
Our mottos are “That Others May Live” and “Friends in Low Places”.
You make the magic that keeps the birds in the air.

FYI Several of them were flown by USCG exchange pilots in the Vietnam war and were lost.
There were initially three USCG volunteer exchange pilots, Lt Lance A. Eagan (my father-in-law), Lt Cmdr Lonnie Mixon and Lieutenant Jack C. Rittichier. They were assigned to 37th ARRS.

• Lt Eagan was awarded the Silver Star for his 02 Jul 1968 rescue of Lt Col Jack Modica (Scotch 3), after his F-105 crashed 30 miles into North Vietnam.
  • Lt Rittichier was KIA on 7 Jun 1968 while attempting the rescue of the pilot of a USMC A-4C.

My father-in-law, Lt Lance A. Eagan, was a Jolly Green pilot in Vietnam (1968 to 1969, out of the 37th and 40th ARRS) and performed rescues in North Vietnam. Would you be willing to share the name of your friend's father?

Back