testtest

Springfield Armory Range Officers

I bought a Springfield Range Officer Operator for my first 1911

I went with the Operator,because these aging eyes prefer the fiber optic sights.
This firearm has been flawless and it makes me look like I know what I am doing...

IMG_20180122_125735306 (1).jpg

I had the RO in .45 just as pictured in the article. I sold it when I decided to upgrade and ordered the LB Operator. Recently, I ordered the RO Elite Operator (full size with rail and fiber optic front sight) in 9mm, thinking, as I age, I may prefer the lighter recoil. I've equipped them both with the Viridian X5L light/laser combo and carry the .45 daily. But, I have a question about the 9mm.
I have to run higher pressure loads to get the 9mm to cycle properly. My typical load is a 124 gr Berry's Plated round nose with 4 gr of Bullseye. (My Glocks run fine with that.) The RO wants 4.1 gr before it will cycle reliably. I have about 500 rds through it right now. The other day I ran 25 rds of Federal HST 147 gr (not +P) and it failed to feed most of them. It would cycle enough to jam the round against the feed ramp and stop there. I think it was a combination of the longer 147 gr bullet and the fact that it still does not cycle well with standard pressure. I'll try 124 gr HST next time I'm out but, what do you people think? Need more break-in? Time for a lighter recoil spring?

@BradB being you reload, I would suggest running a 12lb spring and see what happens. As you also mentioned running the 147, the bullet could be, although shouldn’t be an issue. I do not know if your feed ramp is polished, if not I’d polish it and run a 12lb spring and see what it does. You have 500 rounds through it, it doesn’t need anymore breaking in, just fine tuning to your handloads. Keep us posted.

The ultimate goal isn't tuning to the handloads. I need to get it to where it's happy to run most anything, but especially a good defense round. I'm not married to Federal HST but I happen to have a current stock in both 147 gr and 124 gr. The feed ramp polish is a good suggestion. It had not occurred to me that a Springfield would need this but I have had the experience of performing this tweak on my old Armscor Rock Island. I'll take a look at it and see what I think.
One other detail - the 4 gr hand load will have a few short cycles to where it won't get back far enough to strip the next round from the magazine but it never locks open after the last round. The extra .1gr remedies both issues. The HST did lock the slide back. Perhaps this, too, points to the feed ramp.

I started out as strictly a striker fired pistol guy and never thought I would own a hammer fired gun, after talking to a guy at work and doing some research I started looking at the Springfield RO I found the gun was very well balanced and fit in my hand very well even for a single stack gun. I’m very happy with my 45ACP RO and love shooting that gun.
EC87A4C0-B712-4DC1-80E4-496FE27DD70C.jpeg

I even had a custom holster made for it.
63B44248-4104-45FA-B2D7-32FED44A6115.jpeg
F7B610F1-2749-43D7-86C0-5EDEBCB522AB.jpeg

One more question, @BradB, I may be overlooking it. Are you having any issue with factory loads or just your handloads? Yeah, not saying it needs a polish it most definitely wouldn’t hurt. If my DW needed it I would do it.
The only factory loads I've run were the HSTs. (Why spend money when you got the handloads waiting to go?) In spite of a dozen things I wanted to get done today, maybe I'll make a fast trip to the range and run some 124 gr HST and see if I even have any manufactured 9mm to try. I'd really like to get this settled before my state goes to shelter in place status.

I started out as strictly a striker fired pistol guy and never thought I would own a hammer fired gun, after talking to a guy at work and doing some research I started looking at the Springfield RO I found the gun was very well balanced and fit in my hand very well even for a single stack gun. I’m very happy with my 45ACP RO and love shooting that gun. View attachment 4136
I even had a custom holster made for it.
View attachment 4137View attachment 4138
good looking rig

The only factory loads I've run were the HSTs. (Why spend money when you got the handloads waiting to go?) In spite of a dozen things I wanted to get done today, maybe I'll make a fast trip to the range and run some 124 gr HST and see if I even have any manufactured 9mm to try. I'd really like to get this settled before my state goes to shelter in place status.
I agree on rolling your own just was trying to eliminate a few things and if the factory loads were not causing any issues but your handloads were then we can start to narrow it down, possibly. Keep us posted after your range trip.

Just back: 28 rds of the 147 gr HST - same problem. (I know - foolish to repeat the experiment and expect different results. I just had a partial box to burn.) 15 rds of Black Hills 124 gr +P - even worse, every single one ftf. (I notice the profile of that bullet is a little sharper.) So the +P didn't make it cycle any better. Then 50 rounds of Federal American Eagle 115 gr FMJ with one ftf and one stovepipe. Much better! Finally, 50 rounds of 124 gr HST. Two ftfs out of the 50. Everything I ran locked the slide back on an empty mag.
I think the answer might be a polish on the feed ramp. I've not had it apart to clean yet but I'll be inspecting that very closely. Thanks for the advice.

And an edit... It was cleaned and lubed Wednesday, prior to the range trip, so at this point about 200 rounds on a clean gun. Maybe I'll see if I can get a picture to post.

Last edited:
Back