testtest

Firearms Fasteners — The Secret World of Screws

The article is useful for some of the torque specs, but not all of this guy's advice is something I would personally follow. And no gunsmiths I know keep red loctite on hand. For anything. Ever.

And when he said that these threadlocker companies don't recommend adjusting torque values when using threadlocker he's not exactly correct. Somewhere around here I have an article bookmarked where the Loc-Tite guys absolutely insist that it should be reduced ( 3-5% if memory serves). Now later the official company line changed, but engineers I have talked to insist that wet threadlocker means the clean and dry fastener is no longer dry and torque values are given for clean and dry. So if you are using a threadlocker on a fastener with a torque value I suggest putting a drop on the thread and letting it dry before torquing.

I won't get into my personal philosophy on threadlocker because I don't want to get @SimonRL all riled up again, but I'm sure a search using the forum's filter will locate plenty of conversation on the topic.

And some people here may be surprised or happy to hear I have actually found a use for blue Loc-tite around here. Every knife I buy and all the ones I own ( That still possess the carry clip and screws that is) I remove the little T6 screws and put some blue loctite on them and re-install them. Also an FYI, anyone who has any Boker knives, they will send you replacement screws for the cost of shipping.

I won't get into my personal philosophy on threadlocker because I don't want to get @SimonRL all riled up again, but I'm sure a search using the forum's filter will locate plenty of conversation on the topic.
Oh, now Im the one barking at the moon? Uh huh. I see how it is.

And the other day I advised someone on another forum to reduce their torque values at least 10% because it acts as a lubricant.

I forgot to mention that it’s damn tasty.

I have actually found a use for blue Loc-tite around here. Every knife I buy and all the ones I own ( That still possess the carry clip and screws that is) I remove the little T6 screws and put some blue loctite on them and re-install them.
Great minds.
I've done the same ever since I lost a few out of my original Gerber Applegate/ Fairbairn combat folder.
Gerber set a bunch for free and I put the blugoo on all of them in the knives I own ever since that time.

Oh, now Im the one barking at the moon? Uh huh. I see how it is.

And the other day I advised someone on another forum to reduce their torque values at least 10% because it acts as a lubricant.

I forgot to mention that it’s damn tasty.

A while back you installed an optic "Sans Loc-Tite". How's it holding up ?

Here's another short ( hopefully) Loc-Tite story. Some time back, before my revelation regarding threadlocker I built an 11.5" pistol. Recently I had cause to remove the buffer tube. Apparently I did not recall using the blue stuff on the castle nut. The castle nut was not all that difficult to remove, but it did take some time to clean that crap out of the threads on the buffer tube. It was very similar to the texture and consistency of silicone.

That castle nut and ALL my castle nuts are properly staked and devoid of Loc-Tite.

Being a retired mechanic, I've run into just about every kind of fastener there is. Nothing new in that article for me.

For gun use, even blue Loctite can be too much. I recommend Purple Loctite. This is low strength and specially designed for small screws. It'll do the job, but makes screw removal fairly easy. ;)

Being a retired mechanic, I've run into just about every kind of fastener there is. Nothing new in that article for me.

For gun use, even blue Loctite can be too much. I recommend Purple Loctite. This is low strength and specially designed for small screws. It'll do the job, but makes screw removal fairly easy. ;)
Agreed.

Back