testtest

Red Dots, Lights & Lasers: CCW Necessities, or Total Hype?

Pass on the lasers on usually the lights but red dots are game changers.
That new VP9w/Holosun I picked up has gotten a Surefire X300, a 20rd mag with 147gr HST, and bumped my USP from house auto status.

It’s that F’ing good.

500rds of ball downrange, 200rds of JHP, not a hiccup. I think it’s gonna get a threaded barrel and a comp.

My X9 is going back to Wilson for an optics cut.

Mike thank you for the great articles. I am somewhat of a newbie to pistols, I have tried everything but not enough to the point of having a strong preference in anything. I am also a minimalist by nature so I believe strongly in becoming proficient with nothing but iron sights.
That being said I would appreciate your opinion on the following... in addition to irons, if you had to choose either a red dot or a zeroed in laser for a 9mm pistol such as a Glock 19, which would it be and why?

That new VP9w/Holosun I picked up has gotten a Surefire X300, a 20rd mag with 147gr HST, and bumped my USP from house auto status.

It’s that F’ing good.

500rds of ball downrange, 200rds of JHP, not a hiccup. I think it’s gonna get a threaded barrel and a comp.

My X9 is going back to Wilson for an optics cut.
My VP9 has become my go to. I’ve bought three of them this year.

Mike thank you for the great articles. I am somewhat of a newbie to pistols, I have tried everything but not enough to the point of having a strong preference in anything. I am also a minimalist by nature so I believe strongly in becoming proficient with nothing but iron sights.
That being said I would appreciate your opinion on the following... in addition to irons, if you had to choose either a red dot or a zeroed in laser for a 9mm pistol such as a Glock 19, which would it be and why?
What do you see as a more likely defensive scenario for you?

Being in an unconventional shooting position where you can’t see your sights?

Or having to make a precise shot at a longer distance?

What do you see as a more likely defensive scenario for you?

Being in an unconventional shooting position where you can’t see your sights?

Or having to make a precise shot at a longer distance?
I see a defensive scenario as a worst case scenario where the lives of my loved ones are threatened, under the worst conditions where I do not have time or light or anything in my favor except for my proficiency with a reliable weapon.
A situation that I do not want to ever find myself in but would still like to be prepared.

I will forever be an optics guy now... I am going back one at a time and changing all my weapons to have optics, and I will probably never buy another automatic handgun that is not optics ready. A lot of folks are hard core about Iron sights and that's cool, but if one really really drills enough, if their presentation is routine and correct, then making the change from sight focused shooting to target focused shooting is a game changer period. No more find a target, find the front sight, shoot, repeat, now (after you train this way consistently) you aquire your target and your focus remains on your target and your well practiced presentation puts the optics where they need to be. It's almost like that old cowboy tale of shooting like you point; when you point your finger at someone you don't align your finger, you look at your target... Drilling for proper consistent presentation is the way to shoot and changing to target focus vs sight focus training is the way I think we can be better shooters (me anyway). I am loving optics. Just my opinion...

So for Lights / Lasers. I only use a light/laser or any combo thereof, for my home defense evening/nighttime weapon. My opinion only, I do not see the need for all that mostly unnecessary bulk on a CCW, plus I am not a huge guy, so smaller is better to a degree. I do have one full size (1911 frame) weapon on which I have both optics and a Light / Laser, this would be a fannypack carry were I to be out somewhere doing something when it could get dark.

I see a defensive scenario as a worst case scenario where the lives of my loved ones are threatened, under the worst conditions where I do not have time or light or anything in my favor except for my proficiency with a reliable weapon.
A situation that I do not want to ever find myself in but would still like to be prepared.
Then…you want both/all of the above (light/laser, & red dot).

Lasers work best in unconventional shooting positions—from the hip, laying on your back, anytime you aren’t able to index your sights.

Dots are great when you can index your sights. Personally, I’m slower with dots than irons, but…I’m getting faster with practice. They definitely are superior when it comes to longer, precise shots.

Lights? It’s always good to positively ID your target.

But, like I said—you gotta train HARD with them.

Back