testtest

The General Dynamics F-111 Aardvark Fighter Bomber

I saw F111's coming and going a lot in Southeast Asia, especially in 1972-1973. They were being used a lot as tactical reconnaisance aircraft. Years later I talked to an F111 pilot about the terrain following radar and he told me it scared hell out of him to leave "avoiding the rocks" up to the airplane. I had heard that some pilots had lost their nerve and grabbed the stick to disable the TFR with disastrous results. It has its place in history.

The "surrender monkeys" (France) did not do us any favors making our guys fly all that way to slap Clodhoppy upside his head but they have a large Muslim population that they are worried about offending. AHH the blessings of diversity .

I saw F111's coming and going a lot in Southeast Asia, especially in 1972-1973. They were being used a lot as tactical reconnaisance aircraft. Years later I talked to an F111 pilot about the terrain following radar and he told me it scared hell out of him to leave "avoiding the rocks" up to the airplane. I had heard that some pilots had lost their nerve and grabbed the stick to disable the TFR with disastrous results. It has its place in history.
An AF retired LtCol who was involved with the F111 program said the same thing. You grab the stick at great cost. The pilot just had to gut it out.

Anyways, we were observing maneuvers at Hohenfels, Germany in the late 70s from a fairly high ridge. Unbeknownst to us two F-111s were coming low and fast behind us to conduct a simulated strike. I have never been so stunned as when those things passed low over our heads and followed the ground down into a valley to conduct the strike. I've been a fan of the F-111 since then.

When I was cross trained from Security Police to Aircraft Maintenance that was the aircraft I worked on! FB111A's assigned to 509 Bomb Wing Pease AFB NH. I really enjoyed the plane and New Hampshire!

The "surrender monkeys" (France) did not do us any favors making our guys fly all that way to slap Clodhoppy upside his head but they have a large Muslim population that they are worried about offending. AHH the blessings of diversity .
Good grief.

Say “surrender monkey to the Légion étrangère and see how far your teeth get kicked down your throat.

Only the truly ignorant claim the views you regurgitate.

Great aircraft.
Saw lots of them very low over the trees around Loring AFB. Since Loring was a SAC B-52 base, I’d guess it was Peace AFB aircraft training
Pease and / or Plattsburgh -- the only two FB-111A bases. Also, Dr. Dobbs, an easy way to tell if it's an FB-111A or any other 111, count the wing flaps (and leading edge slats) if they have 5 on each wing, they're FB's. If only 4, they're NOT in the SAC system -- they only dropped iron. The 509th Bomb Wing remains the worlds first 'mushroom' planter with the B-29.

While stationed at Pease, they had a rash of the outermost flap vane getting cocked which locked out the flap / slat system -- diced for sure if you really need them.

Back