testtest

Ayoob: How to Draw from a Shoulder Holster

Coolest shoulder holster draw I've ever seen was in an episode of the old Police Story NBC TV show in the mid-'70s. There was this Black detective who wore very snazzy suits (think Ron Glass in Barney Miller and you wouldn't be very far off), and packed a pair of 4" Smith 19s in a double shoulder rig of some sort. At some point in the story the shizzle jumped off (IIRC, in a department store, but I might be remembering that wrong) and he drew BOTH 19s, at the same time, and using a double Cavalry Draw. :oops: Yah, I know, it's TV--almost certainly of no practical application in Real Life, but damn it was about the coolest thing I've ever seen! RESPECT! :love:(y)

Coolest shoulder holster draw I've ever seen was in an episode of the old Police Story NBC TV show in the mid-'70s. There was this Black detective who wore very snazzy suits (think Ron Glass in Barney Miller and you wouldn't be very far off), and packed a pair of 4" Smith 19s in a double shoulder rig of some sort. At some point in the story the shizzle jumped off (IIRC, in a department store, but I might be remembering that wrong) and he drew BOTH 19s, at the same time, and using a double Cavalry Draw. :oops: Yah, I know, it's TV--almost certainly of no practical application in Real Life, but damn it was about the coolest thing I've ever seen! RESPECT! :love:(y)
I watched the entire series and the movie Firefly before I realize that Shepherd Book was Ron Glass

I watched the entire series and the movie Firefly before I realize that Shepherd Book was Ron Glass
"I have several good sermons with fire and brimstone. One has lepers!"

1699467348986.png

I found shoulder holsters useful when driving the limo or on a static seated post. I recall a time in the 70's when a lot of plainclothes officers carried big revolvers in shoulder holsters, inspired by Dirty Harry. Then in the 80's came Crockett and Tubbs and the Jackass rigs and many officers had to have one. Shoulder holsters have their place but strong side is usually more functional.

I found shoulder holsters useful when driving the limo or on a static seated post. I recall a time in the 70's when a lot of plainclothes officers carried big revolvers in shoulder holsters, inspired by Dirty Harry. Then in the 80's came Crockett and Tubbs and the Jackass rigs and many officers had to have one. Shoulder holsters have their place but strong side is usually more functional.
Putting on and adjusting these is a friggin' gymnastics, feel like it needs this kind of flexiblity

The jackass rig made me laugh hard, thanks for that!

I like shoulder holsters when I’m going to be driving for a long distance; first, it’s a lot more comfortable and second it’s faster to draw than strong side while seated in the driver’s seat.

I’ve got a Galco shoulder rig that holds my snub 686+ quite nicely, with two speed strips on the other side (basically useless, but…better to have it, yadda yaddda yadda….).

Last edited:
I have carried a shoulder rig for more decades than I care to admit to. I worked executive protection for 5 years between retiring from law enforcement and getting a P.I. license. Settled on a minuteMan rig. Pistol is vertical, but pivots 70 degrees when drawn. Holsters are interchangable, all custom fit. They went out of business years ago, unfortunately. As the pics show, holster is held in place by a screw and a strong elastic band, which allows the pivoting. Shown with a CZ-40. I prefer the flat back strap. Threw a pic of my dog…

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 66
Thanks much Mr. Massad Ayoob for your perspective and guidance on shoulder holsters and good drawing procedures. I've yet to read anything you participated in that was not enlightening in some way! Thanks for always contributing! Perhaps, something for readers to think about is the shoulder holster for carrying a backup firearm? Shoulder holsters can be an excellent primary or alternative carry system for either a primary or back-up weapon. I'm retired law enforcement and I always carried a back-up firearm when I was on duty. Now, even in retirement, I carry a primary firearm using an in the waistband holster and a back-up firearm always keeping an out for that troubling fellow we all know. You know who I mean; his name is "Justin"..."Justin Case" as in "just in case things really go sideways." I keep my primary and back-up firearms maintained well but I knew of an incident where a suspect fired at an officer and, as luck would have it, he just happened to hit the officers weapon, rendering his firearm inoperative. That would be downright frustrating and it is that situation, or a surprise breakage or malfunction, where "Justin Case" comes into the picture. The shoulder holster provides an excellent alternative carry method for a back-up weapon should there be some reason it cannot be carried in the waist area. Most of the time, I can carry both using inside the waistband holsters but I have a shoulder holster for use if needed. Carrying a back-up and using a shoulder holster may not be for everyone but something to think about. By the way, my primary is a Glock 21 and my back-up is a Glock 30. I'm a .45 ACP fan after seeing way too many suspects shot with 9mm that just seemed to keep on keepin on. There is an old adage; what does a suspect do after he is shot with a pistol? The same thing he was doing before he was shot with a pistol. I beleive in stacking the deck as much as possible in my favor. If you're interested, the attached cut and paste link shows the anemic nature of 9mm, in my humble opinion. VIDEO: Crazed Man Attacking Deputy Soaks Up 12 Rounds Before He's Stopped - The Truth About Guns.

Thanks much Mr. Massad Ayoob for your perspective and guidance on shoulder holsters and good drawing procedures. I've yet to read anything you participated in that was not enlightening in some way! Thanks for always contributing! Perhaps, something for readers to think about is the shoulder holster for carrying a backup firearm? Shoulder holsters can be an excellent primary or alternative carry system for either a primary or back-up weapon. I'm retired law enforcement and I always carried a back-up firearm when I was on duty. Now, even in retirement, I carry a primary firearm using an in the waistband holster and a back-up firearm always keeping an out for that troubling fellow we all know. You know who I mean; his name is "Justin"..."Justin Case" as in "just in case things really go sideways." I keep my primary and back-up firearms maintained well but I knew of an incident where a suspect fired at an officer and, as luck would have it, he just happened to hit the officers weapon, rendering his firearm inoperative. That would be downright frustrating and it is that situation, or a surprise breakage or malfunction, where "Justin Case" comes into the picture. The shoulder holster provides an excellent alternative carry method for a back-up weapon should there be some reason it cannot be carried in the waist area. Most of the time, I can carry both using inside the waistband holsters but I have a shoulder holster for use if needed. Carrying a back-up and using a shoulder holster may not be for everyone but something to think about. By the way, my primary is a Glock 21 and my back-up is a Glock 30. I'm a .45 ACP fan after seeing way too many suspects shot with 9mm that just seemed to keep on keepin on. There is an old adage; what does a suspect do after he is shot with a pistol? The same thing he was doing before he was shot with a pistol. I beleive in stacking the deck as much as possible in my favor. If you're interested, the attached cut and paste link shows the anemic nature of 9mm, in my humble opinion. VIDEO: Crazed Man Attacking Deputy Soaks Up 12 Rounds Before He's Stopped - The Truth About Guns.
There was an incident in Newport Beach P D, in the 70s, where a Policeman ( before we became officers) got in a gunfight with a”hefty” biker. PM was carrying a 45, 2 backup mags and a .25. Biker was carrying a MAC 10, 9mm. Biker got one shot off but his gut blocked the ejection port. PM emptied 2 mags into the biker, who shrugged it off. Loaded his last mag, fired off 3 cautious shots and the biker, still trying to clear his MAC, slumped to the ground and expired. Saw a training re-enactment of it. We were carrying Model 15s at the time with 158 high speed lead rounds!

There’s a cop that went the other way—stepped down to a 9mm—after his assailant took 14 rounds of .45, many to COM, and a couple to the head, iirc.

.45 ain’t the end-all, be all you think it is.

No caliber is.

Except for 125gr .357 Magnum…that round is magic.;)

When I took a homicide investigator course many years ago there were many examples of subjects who took multiple hits to the torso but remained on their feet and kept fighting. Many will die but not right away. At autopsy nothing hit the important stuff that turns the lights off. The coke bottle outline on qual targets is there to train officers to shoot the INZ. PCP and like drugs will keep a subject fighting who is dead but doesn't know it yet. It is amazing to me how many rounds a human can absorb before going down. These instances are why I practice failure drills at every range session.

Attachments

• 20231009_091000.jpg
    20231009_091000.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
When I took a homicide investigator course many years ago there were many examples of subjects who took multiple hits to the torso but remained on their feet and kept fighting. Many will die but not right away. At autopsy nothing hit the important stuff that turns the lights off. The coke bottle outline on qual targets is there to train officers to shoot the INZ. PCP and like drugs will keep a subject fighting who is dead but doesn't know it yet. It is amazing to me how many rounds a human can absorb before going down. These instances are why I practice failure drills at every range session.
Nothing like the “Mozambique Drill”…

BTW, I do like the targets you use, very easy to see from far it seems... I went to look on their website, they have a funny one out there:

1699559731428.png

There’s a cop that went the other way—stepped down to a 9mm—after his assailant took 14 rounds of .45, many to COM, and a couple to the head, iirc.

.45 ain’t the end-all, be all you think it is.

No caliber is.

Except for 125gr .357 Magnum…that round is magic.;)
Maybe 10mm is a better choice?

Maybe 10mm is a better choice?
How?

Smaller holes than .45…and energy doesn’t wound on it’s own; when it comes to handguns, if the bullet doesn’t physically touch the tissue, there’s no appreciable damage.

You’d have more of them, though, so…but if you go for the heavy hitters, the recoil will just slow down follow ups and/or negatively affect accuracy.

.40? Not that much improved performance over 9mm in current premium loads. .357 Sig? Dying cartridge. Even Sig isn’t putting out new models in it.

I’ve argued both sides of this issue, simply as a gedankenexperiment…and guess what? Both sides have equally valid points.

There is no magic cartridge; the only right answer is what works for you.

And yes—my .357 Magnum comment was a joke. Mostly. Because it is magic.;)

Back