testtest

The A-4 Skyhawk Light Attack Plane

I'm generally a USAF guy, but the A-4 is an awesome little airplane.

Some fun facts about A-4 not mentioned in the Will Dabbs piece:

*A-4 was a veteran of the failed Bay of Pigs "invasion." When JFK finally got off his butt and decided to let USN provide some air cover, A-4Bs (at that time designated A4D-2s) of VA-34 "Blue Blasters" off the Essex got the nod. They never dropped a bomb or fired a shot, just showed up to "rattle sabres." Interestingly, they had to be "sanitized" by hastily painting out all US markings, despite the fact that no other country in the world was operating A-4s at the time.

*John McCain was shot down in an A-4. Even more interestingly, he had earlier been sitting in his cockpit when the disastrous 1967 fire erupted on the Forrestal. Film exists of McCain exiting the aircraft through the fire. :eek: I'm not a fan of McCain's politics, and he wasn't the smartest Naval Aviator ever, but there's no denying that he had Big Brass Ones.

The last of the Marine Scooters, the O/A-4M, near exclusively flown by the H&MS squadrons as a FAC bird.
67755_1337958756.jpg
640x640.jpg

This is the one displayed at MCAS Iwakuni Japan.

First Blue Angels display I remember was when they flew the Scooter.

The Kuwaiti Air Force flew until after Desert Storm.

Draken Aviation still does contract DACT training with them, the ones I've seen of theirs are the extended tail pipe Israeli version.

This was a great plane and a good read. If you liked this, I suggest you research the Douglas A-1 Skyhawk. I believe it is still the weight to payload ratio king.

The last of the Marine Scooters, the O/A-4M, near exclusively flown by the H&MS squadrons as a FAC bird.
View attachment 47366View attachment 47367
This is the one displayed at MCAS Iwakuni Japan.

First Blue Angels display I remember was when they flew the Scooter.

The Kuwaiti Air Force flew until after Desert Storm.

Draken Aviation still does contract DACT training with them, the ones I've seen of theirs are the extended tail pipe Israeli version.
Very cool. The logical evolution of the TA-4F, which was actually used as a FAST FAC in 'Nam. ;)

This was a great plane and a good read. If you liked this, I suggest you research the Douglas A-1 Skyhawk. I believe it is still the weight to payload ratio king.
At your suggestion, I googled "Douglas A-1 Skyhawk." As I suspected it would, it returned thousands of results for Douglas A-1 Skyraider. Completely different airplane, although designed by the same man. Also an immortal classic which I believe has been previously discussed here. ;)

Some additional information on the A-4 that's MIA in the article.

As per the the post with the O/A-4M pics, the "A-4M" Skyhawk II was the last US A-4 model with the best capability. Kuwait bought their version, the A-4KU (modified A-4Ms), which was used in GW1, and later most of the remainders were sold to Brazil (redesignated the AF-1) for use aboard the aircraft carrier São Paulo before it was decommissioned.

In the 2000's Brazil modernized their Skyhawks to the AF-1B standard with many upgrades including a multi-mode radar.

1700341710890.png

Like Brazil, Argentina acquired surplus A-4Ms, and modernized them to the AR-4AR Fighting Hawk standard, also with a multi-mode radar, but the AN/APG-66V2 used in early block F-16s.

1700340960366.png

New Zealand also modernized their A-4K Skyhawk with a AN/APG-66 variant radar.

Singapore modernized their A-4 Skyhawk fleet (ex-US Navy A-4B & Cs) to the A-4SU standard with new avionics and replaced the original engines with the GE F404-GE-100D turbofan (non-afterburning version), which resulted in greatly improved performance compared to the specs listed in the OP article.

1700342267600.png

IMO, the "ultimate" A04 Skyhawk would have had the improvements of the Brazilian AF-1B or Argentine A-4AR, and with the installation of a non-afterburning version of the GE F414.

Singapore modernized their A-4 Skyhawk fleet (ex-US Navy A-4B & Cs) to the A-4SU standard with new avionics and replaced the original engines with the GE F404-GE-100D turbofan (non-afterburning version), which resulted in greatly improved performance compared to the specs listed in the OP article.

View attachment 47378
I always liked the Singapore A-4s and wanted to do a model of one because they used Vietnam-era USAF-type camo and paints: 34079, 34102, 30219, and 36622 (hope I'm right on those FS numbers, just going from memory here). AFAIK they were the only A-4s so painted. Pretty sure I have the pattern in some reference book somewhere. Maybe I WILL build that model sometime soon. Thanks for reminding me! ;)

Oh, man, I've never seen that one before! Nothing appeals to me more as a modeler than an overall one-color paint scheme! (That's why I love the 1944-1956 USN/USMC and early '60s USAF airplanes so much--they're all one color!) That sure looks like 34079 but if it's not, I'm sure I have some suitable dark green on my paint bench. Practice bomblets on MER on centerline? This one would be EASY to model! Thanks so much for this pic! ;) :love:

Very Nice book on the last A-4M model and its Israeli, Argentine and Brazilian derivatives.

Douglas A-4 M/N/AR/AF-1 Skyhawk: Aircraft in Detail (Duke Hawkins) Paperback – December 28, 2020​

1700356234335.png

I'm generally a USAF guy, but the A-4 is an awesome little airplane.

Some fun facts about A-4 not mentioned in the Will Dabbs piece:

*A-4 was a veteran of the failed Bay of Pigs "invasion." When JFK finally got off his butt and decided to let USN provide some air cover, A-4Bs (at that time designated A4D-2s) of VA-34 "Blue Blasters" off the Essex got the nod. They never dropped a bomb or fired a shot, just showed up to "rattle sabres." Interestingly, they had to be "sanitized" by hastily painting out all US markings, despite the fact that no other country in the world was operating A-4s at the time.

*John McCain was shot down in an A-4. Even more interestingly, he had earlier been sitting in his cockpit when the disastrous 1967 fire erupted on the Forrestal. Film exists of McCain exiting the aircraft through the fire. :eek: I'm not a fan of McCain's politics, and he wasn't the smartest Naval Aviator ever, but there's no denying that he had Big Brass Ones.
actually there is strong evidence he caused the fire, by dumping fuel in the engine to get a hot start with fireball, as per the show offs at the time, except it got out of control and his dad washed the event to protect said turd.
as a navy guy, we never liked him

yes its a cool little bird
fwd slats use aerodynamic forces to hold them in and then drop when airspeed bleeds off for landing
rebuilt hundreds of those leading edge slats when stationed at pensacola in late 80s

actually there is strong evidence he caused the fire, by dumping fuel in the engine to get a hot start with fireball, as per the show offs at the time, except it got out of control and his dad washed the event to protect said turd.
as a navy guy, we never liked him
That is a complete BS lie that was put out by the DNC during the 2008 campaign. There is NO evidence of that. In fact, there is evidence to the contrary. His A-4 was parked with its tailpipe hanging over the edge of the flight deck. There's been a published diagram showing where every airplane on deck was at the moment the fire started. AND there's the film of him exiting his aircraft and it's exactly where the diagram says it was. The fire was caused by a Zuni rocket that accidentally came off an F-4.

I know this is a lie, because one of my best Internet friends in 2008 was a VERY dedicated modeler and a USN VN vet who'd actually served in the Gulf of Tonkin at the time. He was also a dedicated Liberal Democrat. He forwarded everyone on his email list this lie, which had come right from the DNC. I emailed him back that he of all people should have known it was an outright, outrageous, libelous lie, and shame on him for spreading it, and demanding he send a retraction to everyone to whom he'd emailed it. Never heard back from him, and I haven't spoken to him again to this day, and I never will again. He's a scumbag AFAIC and he's dead to me. :mad:

As I said above, I'm sure no McCain fan due to his subsequent political career, but I will NOT stand by and let such an outrageous and libelous LIE about a US veteran go unchallenged. So there. :mad:

Oh, here's a nice video explaining the Forrestal fire in pretty good detail. The McCain "wet start" lie is specifically addressed starting at 6:00, and the deck diagram proves that it is a LIE.

This video shows what happened in even greater detail:

Last edited:
A correction on the OP articles' assumption that the A-4 Skyhawks drop tanks were designed as emergency landing gear..."Additionally, the two large underwing external tanks were designed to act as ad hoc landing gear in the event of main gear failure."

This isn't quite correct...

The A-4 could carry three different drop tank sizes: 150, 300, and 400 Gallon. While all three sizes could be carried on the centerline.he inboard wing pylons could accommodate 150 & 300 gallon, but the 400 gal. tank could only be carried on the centerline and was the basis for a "buddy-refueling system". All three tanks could be configured with or without fins, and the 300 gallon tanks had optional rounded fairings.

The A-4 didn't have a lot of internal fuel capacity. so carrying drop tanks were almost standard operating procedure. But, the number of drop tanks depended on where the target was. For some CAS missions, no tanks were required as the target was close to haul a large amount of ordnance. One centerline tank seemed common as it was better to have pylons available for bombs and rockets.

But, two tanks were carried on the inner hard points for greater range and flight time. In those positions, due to their positions, the two tanks (150 or 300 gal.) did come in handy in case of an emergency when the landing gear would not deploy. Maybe some operators thought carrying two tanks were a good idea just in case.

1700366718238.png
1700366753755.png

1700366831211.png

I doubt any Skyhawk was ready to go in an hour based on these pictures. So, as Paul Harvey used to say, that is the rest of the story.

Last edited:
Back