testtest

Why You Need a Good Tactical Flashlight

Long Post Warning

TL/DR I've tried out a lot of different lights. I've had good luck with Fenix and they stand behind their products. So that's what I carry now

When I started working as a security guard was the first time that I really had any need of a flashlight.

I started out with one of the old D cell Mag lights that you could use as a nightstick but it wasn't really bright.

So I started looking around for something better and what I found was that the really bright lights ate batteries.

Very early on in my security "career" I found a Streamlight Stinger it was 90 lumens and it was rechargeable. I thought it was the absolute bomb.

From that point on I made it a rule that any light that I carried at work either had to use rechargeable batteries or (later on is this became available) it had to be rechargeable itself.

My first supervisory position was a day shift 8 to 4. I really didn't have any need of a flashlight so I quit carrying the Stinger. I decided I wanted a light that was small enough to carry in my pocket but bright enough that I could use if I had to stay over or come in early and work in the dark.

I ended up with a Fenix E12 which was the size of my finger and brighter than the Stinger (110 Lumens) and it ran on rechargeable AA batteries. I've had that light for over 12 years I carried it every night at work for 4 or 5 years and my wife still carries it in her purse.

In 2016 they made me a Night Rover. My assignment was to drive around El Paso County at night doing Security checks on Utilities infrastructure and I decided I wanted a real "tactical" flashlight. I bought a Fenix UC35 because I had such good luck with the E12. The light is 1,000 lumens and I can't find a candela rating for it anywhere.

When I worked as a night Rover I would use the small light for General navigation or looking under trucks and such and I would pull out the UC35 anytime I had to actually interact with somebody. At some point I traded the E12 for a 300 lumen Fenix RC05. My wife still carries the E12 in her purse.

I carried the UC35 for probably two or three years and used it nightly. I recharged it once a week. And after about 3 years the USB charging port gave out. So I sent it back to Phoenix and they replaced it with an upgraded model free of charge.

Now that I'm retired the RC05 is my EDC light.

I thought Streamlight was a "Budget" brand ? I mean I have 2 of them and they work ok, but...

@xdman just turned i have carried a us on to a good deal on some tiny Olight handhelds. They came yesterday and seem like a great EDC light.
I have carried an i3t olight, the AAA version in my pocket as my EDC for 5 years. Very small and comfortable to carry, and the smallest brightest light of its size I have found. I load it with an Energizer lithium for max lumens and run time. I carry a spare cell loose to reload it.

My night and "tac" type light is a Streamlight Protac dual fuel light uses either a lithium AA or Cr123A. It is just as bright as I need or want with my light sensitive eyes, and the two battery types make it highly flexible in emergency situations.

I highly recommend either they have served me well. The only negative is the olight switches do not seem as robust, they start malfunctioning after a few years and need replacing this is my second one for pocket carry.

20231126_130846.jpg

In 2019 I had to have my UC35 replaced

I decided to do a survey and for a month I asked every cop I interacted with what kind of light they used. Every single one of them said they used Streamlight.

I thought that was significant BUT there's only one Police supply store in Colorado Springs (Gall's) they only stock Streamlight AND they give a significant police discount on them. So that may have been a factor.

I have carried an i3t olight, the AAA version in my pocket as my EDC for 5 years. Very small and comfortable to carry, and the smallest brightest light of its size I have found. I load it with an Energizer lithium for max lumens and run time. I carry a spare cell loose to reload it.

My night and "tac" type light is a Streamlight Protac dual fuel light uses either a lithium AA or Cr123A. It is just as bright as I need or want with my light sensitive eyes, and the two battery types make it highly flexible in emergency situations.

I highly recommend either they have served me well. The only negative is the olight switches do not seem as robust, they start malfunctioning after a few years and need replacing this is my second one for pocket carry.

View attachment 47652
I bought several of the Olights just in case.

I bought several of the Olights just in case.
They're nice little lights. Only problems I have had with olights, the one shown, the O Pen, and several others is rhe switch. After a few while the user interface starts to fail, like switching between hi and low. They might repair them but I find it easier to just buy another.

The brightness and size makes that bother worthwhile to me.

Last edited:
Have a EDC light set up with a red lens/filter/bulb to preserve night vision.

Have a EDC light set up with a red lens/filter/bulb to preserve night vision.

I use red and green lights too. I have the old Inova X5 in red LEDs its a battery vampire, runs brightly on a Cr123 that won't run others well.

I also have AAA minimags in NV green and red , they are amazing for thier size, use them for hunting a lot going in and out of woods. I keep the NV green normally in my jacket pocket.

At least I had them both in red and green, since coming back from my hunting trip I can't find the red one.

Last edited:
Different standards/requirements for an EDC/task light. You can go cheap, and if it dies on you, it's probably not the end of the world.

For a tactical light, I'd stick with the established solid brands that are known for durability, reliability and with the simple features outlined in this article. The article also makes a good point about paying attention to certain manufacturers who hype big lumens, but only deliver that for a very short period of time, and then 'step down' dramatically. Heat management is also worth paying attention to with high lumen lights.

Last edited:
The LED is the best thing to ever happen to flashlights, brighter light and less power consumption. but what makes a TACTICAL light? most look the same. a metal case with medium to high power light.

If it's the strobe or the SOS sequence some do then i do not like tactical lights. nothing bugs me more than having to switch through all them different functions just to turn it off or on.

I do have several of different brands for rifles handguns and handheld lights. Olight makes a good one for a reasonable price. some of the chinese ones sold on Amazon are decent. some are not. either way just give me one that turns on and off without all the frills.

I've been using Streamlights for years. Carried a stylus in my shirt pocket everyday when I was still working. A Microstream lives in my left pants pocket. Handy little sucker. And I have TLR-1s on my house pistol and shotgun.
I've never had a problem with any of them. (y)

My nightstand and vehicle flashlights are labeled S&W. I picked up three of these a few years ago on sale. They feature two settings and a strobe function. I don't know who actually made them, but they are quality lights and I'm very pleased with them. ;)

Last edited:
The LED is the best thing to ever happen to flashlights, brighter light and less power consumption. but what makes a TACTICAL light? most look the same. a metal case with medium to high power light.

If it's the strobe or the SOS sequence some do then i do not like tactical lights. nothing bugs me more than having to switch through all them different functions just to turn it off or on.

In my opinion, a good tactical light has two settings - high output on the first tap, low output for 2ndary admin tasks, and that's it. I'm not a fan of strobes and not a fan of having lots of different settings to click through. Again, EDC lights are a different animal, imo.

we have 4 nitecore lights,
3 of them are small just a bit bigger than the old mini mag light
we keep one in each car and one at the laundry machine to shine down the lint filter cavern to see when vacuuming, ahhh the chores
plus a real nice hunting light p30 set up...its freaking bright and last long time. i have dropped it a few times from 4 or 5 feet
we also have some OLDER 4 d cell mag lights with led bulbs...again each car has one as an impromptu baton or tire checker or club and or a real light , even with rechargeable batteries they are heavy

Attachments

• 20210311_171041.jpg
    20210311_171041.jpg
    871.4 KB · Views: 49
Back