testtest

1911 for Home Defense — The Best Choice?

I have a strong aversion to any "best" articles. In this case, use what works for you and your family. If you are not present, are your family members expected to use it and well? I like the 1911, but is it my "best" available handgun? My wife would likely favor my Shield. Some folks say the 1911 is an "experts" gun. I dunno about that either, but am I or other household members an expert? I think I can file this article into the "beat the dead horse" file.

Would a 1911 probably work in a HD situation? Sure....maybe. But if it's something that's sitting in a nightstand, I can't think of a single compelling reason to argue against having more capacity - there's no downside and my goal is to conclude a HD situation with ammo still left in the gun, not wondering if I'm going to need to reload, or how many times, before it's over.

And of course, I'd take a shotgun or compact PDW over any handgun, any day of the week.

I have a strong aversion to any "best" articles. In this case, use what works for you and your family. If you are not present, are your family members expected to use it and well? I like the 1911, but is it my "best" available handgun? My wife would likely favor my Shield. Some folks say the 1911 is an "experts" gun. I dunno about that either, but am I or other household members an expert? I think I can file this article into the "beat the dead horse" file.

Exactly. It's hard to find goof quality self-defense advice that actually acknowledges context and nuance rather than "one size fits all, black and white" solutions.

I agree with all of Dr. Dabbs' points. I had a lot of stuff available and picked the 1911 for my "house gun" back in the '80s when I had small children running around. I kept it "Condition Three" because it had a heavy enough recoil spring that I could operate the slide, but no one else in the house could. And I put a Full Length Guide Rod in it not just to make it run smoother (which it does), but in case anyone figgered out they could jack the slide by pressing the front of the gun against some solid surface like a table or a door jamb. Can't do that with FLGR. ;)

I keep my 15+1 P365 next to my pillow, plus an AK-47 (Zastava ZPAP M70 with a 30-round mag) at hand.

Love my 10mm 1911, but it just doesn't have the capacity for an assault I hear about with 6-9 mauraders on a home invasion.

The 16" barrel and short OAL of the AK vs. my AR seems better for my HD. JIMO.

The 1911 is the best handgun for anything. Because it's the best handgun
Tautologically speaking, yes. ;)

In similar vein, I recall a combat shotgun discussion/debate on arfcom about 20 years ago, and some genius posted this bit of brilliance, which I committed to memory and have cited many, many times over the years: "If Remington 870 is an option, Remington 870 is the answer." Fabulous! ;)

Back