testtest

The Armory Life Interviews: Dave Williams

Great article! I have a message for Mr. Williams. Way back in the day I bought a Colt Gold Cup Series 70 1911. Later Colt offered a .22 conversion kit for it. It consisted of a .22 barrel, slide, magazine, etc. I got it and it turned out to be one of the most accurate .22 pistols ever. The fact that I could shoot my favorite gun with cheap ammo was fantastic. Now I am the proud owner of the most beautiful 1911 ever made....The Ronin Operator in 10mm. Please Mr. Dave, Make a .22 conversion kit for it.....I'll buy one......I promise I will...

Agreed! Glad you enjoyed the piece.
It was an excellent article. However I was checking out the new 1911 lineup and was astonished to see that my TRP Operator is no longer available in 10mm! I’m so glad I bought mine when I did. I hate to say this but this decision is going to hurt SA a lot down the road. I have always carried a 1911 split between the 4.25 & 5 inch barrel lengths. When we retired and moved here to East Tennessee, I took note of the fact that there’s a lot of Bear interaction and I like to Trout fish. Just not to long ago there was a missing hiker on the Appalachian Trail who’s body was discovered on the Trail… half EATEN. Then there’s the sad fact that there’s a plethora of drug activity all along the spine of the Appalachian Mountains. Meth cookers, smugglers and users. I carry nothing but 10mm because I cross those mountains constantly. Both Virginia and NC are within 30 miles of my front door. Plus the best rivers for Trout fishing in the world. Dropping the 10mm is gonna hurt you. Moreover, I’ve been a certified Instructor for over 35 years and now I can no longer recommend SA to folks who ask my advice on maybe what they should carry—if their skills are up to par—based on what I carry. Now I have to mention Sig. Think I’m the only instructor doing so?
IMG_1172.jpeg

Great article and here's my recommendation/suggestion: We need an Echelon compact or subcompact for EDC, even a micro would be great. Build on the reputation of the Echelon (even Taran Butler has commented) that it has received and gun enthusiasts and customers will flock to the brand. I own the Saint Victor PCC and love it. I don't need another full size handgun (Echelon). I have 4 handguns already, an H&K, a Glock, a Bul Armory and an FN, all 9mm for the ammo thing!

It was an excellent article. However I was checking out the new 1911 lineup and was astonished to see that my TRP Operator is no longer available in 10mm! I’m so glad I bought mine when I did. I hate to say this but this decision is going to hurt SA a lot down the road. I have always carried a 1911 split between the 4.25 & 5 inch barrel lengths. When we retired and moved here to East Tennessee, I took note of the fact that there’s a lot of Bear interaction and I like to Trout fish. Just not to long ago there was a missing hiker on the Appalachian Trail who’s body was discovered on the Trail… half EATEN. Then there’s the sad fact that there’s a plethora of drug activity all along the spine of the Appalachian Mountains. Meth cookers, smugglers and users. I carry nothing but 10mm because I cross those mountains constantly. Both Virginia and NC are within 30 miles of my front door. Plus the best rivers for Trout fishing in the world. Dropping the 10mm is gonna hurt you. Moreover, I’ve been a certified Instructor for over 35 years and now I can no longer recommend SA to folks who ask my advice on maybe what they should carry—if their skills are up to par—based on what I carry. Now I have to mention Sig. Think I’m the only instructor doing so?

I would understand if you didn't like polymer guns, but if you haven't already, look into the XDM Elite in 10mm. It's not as snappy as you might think, carries quite a few cartridges, and is fairly accurate. I'm no expert like you but I would definitely recommend the XDM to people wanting to get into 10mm, it won't cost them a fortune to find out if they like shooting that cartridge or not.

I would understand if you didn't like polymer guns, but if you haven't already, look into the XDM Elite in 10mm. It's not as snappy as you might think, carries quite a few cartridges, and is fairly accurate. I'm no expert like you but I would definitely recommend the XDM to people wanting to get into 10mm, it won't cost them a fortune to find out if they like shooting that cartridge or not.
It’s not that I’m against the polymer options. I used to own a Gen 1 XD .45 that I topped off with a CT Laser Grip. Fine gun. I competed IDPA with it quite a bit. But like all polymer weapons, it’s soulless… so when someone made me a really good offer, I took it. It’s not that I’m adamantly anti polymer, it’s just that I’m so very loyal to the 1911 in the classic steel frame. And I’m not alone. As I’ve said.

Back