testtest

Springfield Armory Garrison 4.25" 1911 Review

The blued 4.25" is beautiful but I wonder if the bluing process has improved since my 5" 9mm version was produced. I would like to see a factory satin black Cerakote finish instead. Springfield applied it to mine and it's even nicer.

No manufacturer can please everyone. I'm left handed, but ambidextrous. The first thing I do to my 1911 pistols is remove an oem ambidextrous safety. I just read a statistic that only 1 in 10 people are left handed, so a single side safety probably satisfies a large majority of enthusiasts.

But I can understand a true "lefty's" concern. The manufacturer and aftermarket can easily remedy the issue. If I kept any of the ones I've removed, I'd gladly send them to you.

Pardon me Dr. Dabbs. I started reading this review without checking to see the name of the author. I was halfway through it and thinking how this guy writes as sweet and syrupy as Will Dabbs so I checked and by golly it IS Will Dabbs. I always enjoy your articles sir and am jealous of all of the fine 1911’s you get to play with. One question: what holster do you use under your scrubs to hide that 1911? Before I retired I carried a .38 snubbie right front pocket holster in mine.

I’m slightly confused…the title of the article says the gun “comes up short”, but the article itself is glowingly positive? I get that it might just be a pun and indicate that the gun is now available with the 4.25” barrel, but if one didn’t read through the entire LONG article, they might just assume the gun itself is not worth buying.

I initially thought the same, but I did read the entire article and realized "comes up short" refers to 3/4". It gave me a little laugh. Most enthusiasts would read the entire article to see what's wrong with the new pistol.

iu

I have many handguns and always wanted a 1911 platform. The quality manufacturing, added upgrades and reasonable price led me to choose the blued Garrison in .45. The qualified professionals discount that Springfield Armory offers knocked off $100 which made it a heck of a deal I couldn’t refuse. I managed to add some genuine elk antler grips and the pistol is tight and an absolute beauty. This is my third Springfield Armory firearm I’ve purchased owning an M1A, an XD and now the Garrison. All have been superb products. Passed the XD down to my son serving in the Army. He is a SA fan now adding a Hellcat. Keep up the good work SA. Made in the USA, cept the XD but still a quality pistol.

I have many handguns and always wanted a 1911 platform. The quality manufacturing, added upgrades and reasonable price led me to choose the blued Garrison in .45. The qualified professionals discount that Springfield Armory offers knocked off $100 which made it a heck of a deal I couldn’t refuse. I managed to add some genuine elk antler grips and the pistol is tight and an absolute beauty. This is my third Springfield Armory firearm I’ve purchased owning an M1A, an XD and now the Garrison. All have been superb products. Passed the XD down to my son serving in the Army. He is a SA fan now adding a Hellcat. Keep up the good work SA. Made in the USA, cept the XD but still a quality pistol.
Lot of their stuff is foreign made, not just XD:
Hellion
Sa35
Echelon

I have an SA Stainless 1911 .45ACP Garrison 5” (I got last year and absolutely LOVE it) and a blued Colt .45ACP Series 70 Combat Commander (I bought from one of my DEROS-ing NCO’s while in the Army in the late 1970’s -that I also LOVE). Since I have the Combat Commander I really cannot justify getting a Commander length Garrison. I carry both of the .45’s depending on climate and clothing and task /location, with some first-generation Smith and Wesson 9mm handguns in the semi-auto rotation.

The blued 4.25" is beautiful but I wonder if the bluing process has improved since my 5" 9mm version was produced. I would like to see a factory satin black Cerakote finish instead. Springfield applied it to mine and it's even nicer.
yes the hot salt bluing is really a great looking coating
i have a what i call black chrome on the 1967 colt and wish i could find a modern 1911 with this durable finish

I don’t think today’s blueing is as nice as the old Colts or Smiths IMO but still looks very very nice on the Garrison. Time will tell I reckon.

i dont know what they call this coating, but its tough and almost makes me think of powder coat
it is thick
i was looking at putting it into retirement and getting my wife a new 1911
she likes the salt blueing and the rose ISH colored stainless, not sure how they get the rose ish color ??
so being the good husband i said i will order all 3 and the ones she likes she gets and the i will suffer through and use the other 2 she does not care for :love:

Attachments

• 1967 model 1911 colt20.jpg
    1967 model 1911 colt20.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 39
PVD is a durable military grade coating that Kimber has been using in recent years. It's used in industrial and automotive applications as well. If I could find a local source, I'd try it myself.

Back