testtest

1911 Prodigy DS

RanL

Alpha
I currently own several Springfield Guns and am very pleased with reliability and performance from my XDs, Xdm to my Saint. I was looking at the Prodigy, but man on-line reviews state reliability issues. Does anyone know if that was just on the first release?

From what I understand they run better than they did when they first hit the market, but there are still people reporting issues. IMO, it's worth taking the gamble. I know no one wants to send a brand new gun back to the mothership, but SA does a great job of getting the Prodigy sorted and turning them around very quickly. There are plenty of us on this forum who have had our Prodigies since Day 1 and had no issues. Problems with the Prodigy seem to be directly related to how precious one is...

That's right, I said it. You know where to find me.

thanks for the replies. With all the negative information I was thinking to look at the Ronin 9MM but I really like the looks of the Prodigy with the red dot optic .. held one at my local gun store last week. I have had "0" fails with my Xds and Xdm 9MM's and have about 5,000 rounds through them. Still thinking ...

i'm at 1k rounds through my prodigy so far and no issues. It just needs to be kept clean and/or lubed to run like a top. Shoot a few hundred rounds through it in a single session and you will see the slide start to slow down a bit from the build up, either clean it or toss some oil on the rails and its good to go again. I suspect that will be less frequent as the cerakote wears from the slide rails. It is kinda thick on there.

As for a 5" Ronin in .45, I also own one. I'm 1500 rounds into that one and it's been as reliable as ever.

I wouldn't pick between the two as I think they are just super different guns meant for different things.
Both shoot well, but the Prodigy makes it out to the range every single trip, the Ronin does not.

i'm at 1k rounds through my prodigy so far and no issues. It just needs to be kept clean and/or lubed to run like a top. Shoot a few hundred rounds through it in a single session and you will see the slide start to slow down a bit from the build up, either clean it or toss some oil on the rails and its good to go again. I suspect that will be less frequent as the cerakote wears from the slide rails. It is kinda thick on there.

As for a 5" Ronin in .45, I also own one. I'm 1500 rounds into that one and it's been as reliable as ever.

I wouldn't pick between the two as I think they are just super different guns meant for different things.
Both shoot well, but the Prodigy makes it out to the range every single trip, the Ronin does not.
thanks - agree with the difference between the 2. my primary reason looking at the prodigy was I wanted an accurate 9mm with red dot for range, as well as self defense, maybe even CCW.

Mine was a first run and send back 2 weeks later back fixed and 1 of my favorite
My story as well. SA took great care of me, sewing machine since. Sold to a friend ONLY because it served me no purpose over a Stacatto P I purchased….thousands of rounds without issue. Truly a great shooter and it was my gateway gun into the 2011 style.

My 4.25 is great. Several thousand rounds. Runs like a champ. Very accurate, fantastic trigger. Nothing needed. I run a stronger recoil spring.

The feeding was just an under powered recoil spring. Which shows you they knew nothing about the system.

The other group of reviewers were the ones who wanted you to buy their products which defeats the entire reason for huying the prodigy, which is price point because of mim parts.

If after 10 or 20 thousand rounds a mim part breaks, sure replace it with tool steel but some of this was just ridiculous.

Back