testtest

1988 Indiana State trooper Revolver reload training film

That's the first time I've seen the "shoe reload" as well. Interesting technique.

I also thought it was interesting that the video recommends keeping speedloaders on the left side of the belt, when there seemed to be ample room on the right side of the officer's belt for speedloaders, in front of the holster. Having them on the left requires reaching across your centerline (for a right-handed shooter), for no good reason that I can figure. If you're transferring the gun to your left hand in order to clear it and reload, it seems to make a lot more sense to have your speedloader/s on your right side, for easy access with your right hand. There's a reason the FLETC holster, for example, was designed this way.

Regardless, interesting bit of history that still has value for wheelgun carriers today.

Last edited:
I recently signed up for the Pat Rogers Revolver Roundup at Gunsite this Fall. Really looking forward to it - it's getting increasingly hard to find good training with experienced wheelgunners, and this event draws some of the best that are still in the business.

Last edited:
Until 2021 I trained security officers and private investigators for their Florida Class G license. Many of the security companies were still issuing revolvers. Most of my students had never seen a speedloader until the training. I trained them with both Safariland and HKS speedloaders. It made me feel old because I still remembered when we transitioned from dump pouches to those new fangled speedloaders in the 70's. The lessons learned from the Newhall Incident drove LE to speedloaders.

Sort of related: I've seen training videos dealing with injured strong hand while using semiautomic. In video. the GI racked the slide using the back of his heel, in the kneeling position.

That's great when you're 18 y.o.! I'm a senior and could do it with some practice and Advil!

G.

Back