testtest

.220 Swift: Does Yesteryear’s Speed King Still Reign Supreme?

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Good story on my favorite .22 caliber centerfire rifle cartridge, the 220swift, I owned a Ruger M77 Target in stainless with a laminated stock. Very accurate rifle, made my longest groundhog shot with it, just over 400 yards. Great round

Good story on my favorite .22 caliber centerfire rifle cartridge, the 220swift, I owned a Ruger M77 Target in stainless with a laminated stock. Very accurate rifle, made my longest groundhog shot with it, just over 400 yards. Great round

1935! Amazing ! The year my father was born! And 400 yards great shot on a ground hog! I nailed one a little over 300 with my bar 3006 shooting standard rem core lokts 150 grain could only see head and shoulders. I did it when stopped off drinking a couple beers at a neighborhood deer camp. I saw it moving none of them saw it I stepped to my truck laid down using the base of a tree for a rest. It brought its head up out the hole i saw dirt fly just in front of it barely I knew it was game over. Told them I got it they all laughed me down I pointed out exactly where it was to a kid I trusted he ran over on his 4W and came back with a ground hog riddled with various holes from where the bullet fragmented right in front of him. Nobody even Said good shot. But the laughing stopped. Not one of them coukd have done it at 100 yards and most of them couldn’t have done it at 50 yards. They were the type if they could hit a full size fridge at 100 yards they were happy. I’m the type that I want to hit inside of one of the o’s in the word whirlpool at 100 yards. That makes me happy. Still to this day they shut up their gun talk around me and around my 101st airborne dad who taught me how to shoot who watched the whole thing didn’t say a word till we left but just gave me an atta boy nod then we enjoyed the silence of the onlookers. They always had a lot of missed deer and wounded deer and goofy screw up stories. Me and dad never had many of those stories. Our story was typically he stepped out i squared up in him squeezed one off. He dropped end of story. When we shot the other one knew the party was over and it was time to start dressing and skinning

I don’t know if you ever experienced that sort of thing with people me and my father would go over to North Carolina to my mother side of the family at that time being my father had killed a combined total of probably over 250 Whitetail buck at that point and countless other things.we’re on a good size piece of land, so pretty much whatever needs fed gets fed and whatever needs lead gets lead. I learned the art of stalking from him young and back when I came into my own and he was still able we were a well coordinated team, true, alpha predators of the first order, Well my moms side of the family they would start discussing deer hunting and they turned their backs on me and my dad and start talking about where so and so was putting their stand and who did this and who did that and who was shooting with what and they would start talking uncomfortably loud totally ignoring us except for these nervous glances back at us. Out of all of them my uncle had killed like two doe and a buck. me and dad just looked at each other and just kind of shook her head at each other in disbelief. It would not have been any more weird than if me and dad would’ve been sitting there in Dale Earnhardt and Dale Earnhardt Junior walked into the room, and we jumped up, turned our backs on them and started talking real loudly about stock car racing and it being extremely obvious that neither one of us had any idea of what we were talking about but making a point to ignore Dale and Dale Junior oh well we were having our big Showboat conversation about stock car racing have you ever had anything like close to that weird with people who were clearly just jealous and who the whole crowd just made fools out of them selves, trying to peer that they knew what they were talking about, and ignoring the only two in the room who had accomplished anything in that field, and if they really wanted to know anything about it if they would’ve ate some of the peanuts and corn out of me and my daddy‘s poo poo they would do a lot more about firearms in about stalking in about Hunting and about killing. Then they would otherwise.

I don’t know if you ever experienced that sort of thing with people me and my father would go over to North Carolina to my mother side of the family at that time being my father had killed a combined total of probably over 250 Whitetail buck at that point and countless other things.we’re on a good size piece of land, so pretty much whatever needs fed gets fed and whatever needs lead gets lead. I learned the art of stalking from him young and back when I came into my own and he was still able we were a well coordinated team, true, alpha predators of the first order, Well my moms side of the family they would start discussing deer hunting and they turned their backs on me and my dad and start talking about where so and so was putting their stand and who did this and who did that and who was shooting with what and they would start talking uncomfortably loud totally ignoring us except for these nervous glances back at us. Out of all of them my uncle had killed like two doe and a buck. me and dad just looked at each other and just kind of shook her head at each other in disbelief. It would not have been any more weird than if me and dad would’ve been sitting there in Dale Earnhardt and Dale Earnhardt Junior walked into the room, and we jumped up, turned our backs on them and started talking real loudly about stock car racing and it being extremely obvious that neither one of us had any idea of what we were talking about but making a point to ignore Dale and Dale Junior oh well we were having our big Showboat conversation about stock car racing have you ever had anything like close to that weird with people who were clearly just jealous and who the whole crowd just made fools out of them selves, trying to peer that they knew what they were talking about, and ignoring the only two in the room who had accomplished anything in that field, and if they really wanted to know anything about it if they would’ve ate some of the peanuts and corn out of me and my daddy‘s poo poo they would do a lot more about firearms in about stalking in about Hunting and about killing. Then they would otherwise.
Cool story!

I have a friend with a Winchester 70 in .220 Swift, awesome and supremely accurate rifle. I have a Ruger 1V in .22-250 Improved. We loved to compare shots on prairie dogs in Colorado. Honestly using 50-52 grn Sierra HPBTs, we couldn’t tell the difference In destruction. They would just vaporize. Both were so precise and so much fun we wouldn’t target under 300 yards to be fair and occasionally out past 500 yards. We missed more often than hit but had a ball ranging. That’s what it’s all about, having fun and the camaraderie that goes with it.

Back