testtest

An M14 Garand?

As Talyn mentioned, the Italians (Beretta), took the M1 Garand design (with U.S. Blessing), and designed a rifle to use 7.62x51 NATO rounds. It's the BM-59 and below are 2 videos from Classic Firearms that currently have these rifles produced by James River Armory. The Videos give a brief history and go over the Rifles features. Ben does the 1st video and Clint does the second and current video for their current selling. I bought a reproduced M14 (non select fire :(), from Classic Firearms made by James River Armory and it's a beautiful looking, well made and functioning rifle, much like SA's M1A I also own. I'm interesting in getting one of these BM-59's at some point as well.

Ben's Video:

Clint's Video:

Regarding Garand's Selective Fire 30-06 Model, that's a new one on me. I have long wondered though re the following. If what I read was correct, there was a modification to the Garand proposed late in WW2. A 20 round box magazine, possibly a BAR magazine in stead of the 8 round enblock ammunition feed.

As to a selective fire Garand, firing the 30-06 ct'g., given that the rifle weighed 10 pounds, not 20 as did the BAR, I doubt that many people could manage the rifle in full auto mode. The M-14, fired full auto was more than most people could handle, from what I have heard.

I used a personally owned Winchester Garand in competition for 5 or 6 years, mostly with hand loads, doing reasonable well with it, even at 1000 yards. I occasionally shot matches with borrowed M-14's and M1A's. I could shoot well enough with 308 caliber rifles, semi auto's and bolt guns out to 600 yards. For me, shooting 1000 yards with a 308 was akin to throwing ill matched rocks. Almost all the ammunition I fired was hand loaded/reloaded.

I've seen only one of these Garands with the box magazine, and that was at a small gunshop in Nampa, Idaho a few years back. The wood stock had been painted black, it was UGLY, and the price was $800. I never closely examined it, so I have no idea what condition the barrel was in.

I've seen only one of these Garands with the box magazine, and that was at a small gunshop in Nampa, Idaho a few years back. The wood stock had been painted black, it was UGLY, and the price was $800. I never closely examined it, so I have no idea what condition the barrel was in.
What a shame to paint a wood stock, my only guess as to why is it had been not taken care of and was in such bad shape he painted it to cover up the damages.

I just purchased one of these, it had been in my friends stepdads attic for the last 30 years, I thought it was a m14 untill I looked at the receiver and saw it said us 30 caliber, it has a 1944 Springfield receiver and a lmr barrel..it shoots great, but I have no information on it.. anything will help

Attachments

• 68B5F1A8-EF6E-4A7F-A126-6D91CC7C6859.jpeg
    68B5F1A8-EF6E-4A7F-A126-6D91CC7C6859.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 508
  • 602E733E-CDD2-4B51-9E7F-FBC02565EF05.jpeg
    602E733E-CDD2-4B51-9E7F-FBC02565EF05.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 344
  • B2295408-2682-4278-9DDB-E639EAB84E70.jpeg
    B2295408-2682-4278-9DDB-E639EAB84E70.jpeg
    759.6 KB · Views: 316
  • EB507359-6306-4396-B2AF-753CE18E2955.jpeg
    EB507359-6306-4396-B2AF-753CE18E2955.jpeg
    827.4 KB · Views: 315
I just purchased one of these, it had been in my friends stepdads attic for the last 30 years, I thought it was a m14 untill I looked at the receiver and saw it said us 30 caliber, it has a 1944 Springfield receiver and a lmr barrel..it shoots great, but I have no information on it.. anything will help

First find out if it's .30-06 or 7.62 (might be marked on the barrel)...because there were, iirc, some aftermarket Garands converted to use box mags (BAR?), but...they’re a rare duck, and I don’t think they worked very well.

That might be a early BM59...but it doesn’t look right.

It is converted to 7.62, but the barrel is a lmr dated 1954 and I believe they were 30-06.. it shoots really good and the mags release and attach better than my m1a scout.. I had a gunsmith look at it and he said it was great craftsmanship, but he has no idea about it

If you are an NRA member, you can write to them to get some definitive answers. Bruce Canfield has researched US military rifles extensively, and they have much information archived on just about anything you care to know. If it was an Arsenal conversion, there should be tell tale stamps on the barrel and action, as well as the stock. The latest American Rifleman had a great article on the original "gas trap" Garand, and the eventual conversion to the "gas port" that is much more common.

Regards,
Bill

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the great reading topics! I joined the forum to learn more about the Garand! I just inherited 2! One has a box magazine with an original barrel coating and the other with the original Enbloc design and a stainless barrel . Super clean guns but wood has some character marks we will call them! i had never laid eyes one until these so i got a crash course in cleaning some old oil from the rifles. Super easy to field strip in my mind and enjoyed the process Both are marked 30 caliber M1. Even the stainless one has 30-06 hand written in black marker under the furniture. Not that I would try it but they both came with a conversion insert to enable the rifles to shoot 7.62x51. serial #s 2679945 & 392293. would be interested to know when the box magazine was converted on the one rifle. Appears to have been well done but i am only a shade tree gun smith so I might not recognize some poor conversions! Really cool that they came with a 50 cal ammo can of M2 ball ammo!

Attachments

• 20201003_171700.jpg
    20201003_171700.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 294
  • 20201003_171529.jpg
    20201003_171529.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 279
  • garand marks.jpg
    garand marks.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 267
  • garand marks 2.jpg
    garand marks 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 285
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the great reading topics! I joined the forum to learn more about the Garand! I just inherited 2! One has a box magazine with an original barrel coating and the other with the original Enbloc design and a stainless barrel . Super clean guns but wood has some character marks we will call them! i had never laid eyes one until these so i got a crash course in cleaning some old oil from the rifles. Super easy to field strip in my mind and enjoyed the process Both are marked 30 caliber M1. Even the stainless one has 30-06 hand written in black marker under the furniture. Not that I would try it but they both came with a conversion insert to enable the rifles to shoot 7.62x51. serial #s 2679945 & 392293. would be interested to know when the box magazine was converted on the one rifle. Appears to have been well done but i am only a shade tree gun smith so I might not recognize some poor conversions! Really cool that they came with a 50 cal ammo can of M2 ball ammo!
Good deal. Someone should know about them to help you out. Unspoken rule is we don’t post or show serial numbers on the forum and you have plenty of time to edit them out if you want to.

No problem posting on an older thread jbh1975, it's great to hear more about this subject or others at anytime. Great pick-up on your two rifles, I have a 1940 M1 Garand (30-06), that I bought about a year ago. Great rifle with tons of history. Welcome to the forum.

Regarding Garand's Selective Fire 30-06 Model, that's a new one on me. I have long wondered though re the following. If what I read was correct, there was a modification to the Garand proposed late in WW2. A 20 round box magazine, possibly a BAR magazine in stead of the 8 round enblock ammunition feed.

As to a selective fire Garand, firing the 30-06 ct'g., given that the rifle weighed 10 pounds, not 20 as did the BAR, I doubt that many people could manage the rifle in full auto mode. The M-14, fired full auto was more than most people could handle, from what I have heard.

I used a personally owned Winchester Garand in competition for 5 or 6 years, mostly with hand loads, doing reasonable well with it, even at 1000 yards. I occasionally shot matches with borrowed M-14's and M1A's. I could shoot well enough with 308 caliber rifles, semi auto's and bolt guns out to 600 yards. For me, shooting 1000 yards with a 308 was akin to throwing ill matched rocks. Almost all the ammunition I fired was hand loaded/reloaded.
Many couldn't handle the m14 in full auto IIRC

Back