testtest

Is My Firearms Trainer Wrong?

Several schools of thought out there, so there's a variety to choose from. Not all agree with each other, and some are more interested in formal competition shooting, so one must decide which instructor/course fits your needs

Great article !
Agreed. If you dont trust or do not like your instructor, move on .
I also recommend multiple instructors if you do a handgun vs a rifle class. Learn something new from each person .

remember, never to old or experienced to learn !!
Your 100% right -never to old to learn - 66 yrs old and I still go once a year to a Skill builder class with a teacher who’s a no Bulls—t guy - They call him Hardass - I call him the 1 of the Best teachers I ever trained with - So moral of my story is Teacher can make or break you - rather have a hard ass then a soft spoken guy

Great article !
Agreed. If you dont trust or do not like your instructor, move on .
I also recommend multiple instructors if you do a handgun vs a rifle class. Learn something new from each person .

remember, never to old or experienced to learn !!

I agree, but given the price of training (good or bad) many people don't realistically have the option to just keep trying until they happen to find a good instructor - and, of course, most new shooters may not recognize an instructor who isn't very (or any) good.

The author made excellent points about some of the different qualities needed. What readers might miss however is the fact that an instructor can be great at several of those qualities and still be seriously lacking in one or more other qualities.
Even when the instructor has all the listed qualities, it is entirely possible for the training to be useless (or worse) simply because the course isn't appropriate to the student.

Each of the qualities of the instructor is necessary for good training - especially at basic and early intermediate shooter levels.

One area where many fine instructors fail is knowledge of the law. This is especially a problem for instructors teaching students in/from other states. The laws concerning self-defense and defense-of-others vary greatly from state to state. A thorough understanding of the law is a critical element of any beginning defensive handgun training course, but tends to be omitted from the planning of many instructors and schools. It's great to teach new shooters how to handle a gun safely, how to draw quickly, and how to hit the target; but failing to teach those new shooters WHEN to (and NOT to) draw and shoot is major failure.

I agree, but given the price of training (good or bad) many people don't realistically have the option to just keep trying until they happen to find a good instructor - and, of course, most new shooters may not recognize an instructor who isn't very (or any) good.

The author made excellent points about some of the different qualities needed. What readers might miss however is the fact that an instructor can be great at several of those qualities and still be seriously lacking in one or more other qualities.
Even when the instructor has all the listed qualities, it is entirely possible for the training to be useless (or worse) simply because the course isn't appropriate to the student.

Each of the qualities of the instructor is necessary for good training - especially at basic and early intermediate shooter levels.

One area where many fine instructors fail is knowledge of the law. This is especially a problem for instructors teaching students in/from other states. The laws concerning self-defense and defense-of-others vary greatly from state to state. A thorough understanding of the law is a critical element of any beginning defensive handgun training course, but tends to be omitted from the planning of many instructors and schools. It's great to teach new shooters how to handle a gun safely, how to draw quickly, and how to hit the target; but failing to teach those new shooters WHEN to (and NOT to) draw and shoot is major failure.
Most instructors or ranges will not cover law related as not to interpret the law incorrectly or vaguely for a person

i will NOT rely on a range or instructor to cover law. That is for reading it oneself or asking a firearms related lawyer.

That is like asking your buddy for divorce law advise who is not a divorce attorney.

that is why ranges shy away from the topic.

it is their job to help me be more proficient in firearms.
It is my job to know the laws.

Training in the law is one of a CC's most important trainings! I am a member of US Law Shield which offers live training seminars in many locations in the states they have members in as well as free online videos. The live law seminars on many topics are taught by experienced and knowledgable firearms attorneys and are free to members. If you are involved in an incident, you are represented by these attorneys free of charge in criminal or civil cases. One other group that I know of is the US Concealed Carry Association that offers similar services. I believe the NRA also has a group. Member cost for US Law Shield is very reasonable. Check around online for services, prices, and organizations in your area. Protect yourself!

Back