testtest

Long-Term Quarantine Prepping

Great article Mike.
As soon as I knew I was stuck at home for awhile my go bag got bigger with medical supplies and firearm related items. I also quickly prepared my camper in case the SHTF and I needed to bug out quickly. Fuel for the generator, propane, four cases of bottled water and food that won’t spoil in a short period of time.

I was laid off on Friday the 13th, no the irony was not lost on me, in March. I vowed to get one thing per day accomplished, big or small. Just something that showed the day was not a total waste.

Thus far, I have kept to that, for the most part. Example, yesterday I mowed the lawn.

Today I cleaned the interior of both vehicles and spent an hour at the reloading bench working on .38 specials, yesterday it was .357 magnum.

I have talked to a number of people, including my own daughter and her husband, and it seems that a lot of people are learning a lesson that our forefathers knew, the value of the well stocked pantry. My daughter said she always thought our keeping a lot of food in storage, canning, and gardening was a bit silly given the fact you can always "run to the store". I had tried to explain it to her but she never got the concept. Now, after I had to drive an hour and a half to give her family toilet paper, facemasks, and bleach, she finally gets it, she was putting my grandkids at risk with her lax attitude. Same could be said for others I have talked to, although some have made the statement that they wont have to worry, something like this probably wont happen again for another hundred years. Those are the ones who I predict will eventually go back to their old ways of having nothing put away for emergency uses.

Sad... they had their one "dry run", they do not realize how much worse this while year could have been, still is right on the verge of falling apart completely with civil strife. Me, gotta go out and get some more paper goods, and Sam's has a nice deal on peanut butter, and I heard Meijers has a three pack of Cholorox wipes, ohhhh and vacuum sealer bags, gotta remember sealer bags, and primers, definitely need some primers...

When I was growing up my father worked for Pepperidge Farms as a bread delivery man, up every morning at 3am I would find him having his coffee and making a “list” In a notebook, I asked him once Why the list and why do keep old ones? His answer, no matter who you are you can’t remember everything you need to do or need to buy. That lesson sunk in and to this day I make list for everything!!
Grocery list.
To do lists. Upcoming project lists
Up to and including the (SHTF) list that’s constantly growing. I’ve taken that to the next level including notes on the list on how long certain items will last so I know approximately when they may be needed next.
Prepping for what happened this year has been a challenge, not only did I want and need to focus on what was in the apartment but I felt it necessary to also prepare the camper if we needed to bug out, my lady owns property in Texas, about 3000 acres so we had a place to go but needed to ensure we had supplies when we got there. The moral of this is make lists and hang onto them for future reference, you just never know what you’ll need and when.

Last edited:
When I was growing up my father worked for Pepperidge Farms as a bread delivery man, up every morning at 3am I would find him having his coffee and making a “list” In a notebook, I asked him once Why the list and why do keep old ones? His answer, no matter who you are you can’t remember everything you need to do or need to buy. That lesson sunk in and to this day I make list for everything!!
Grocery list.
To do lists. Upcoming project lists
Up to and including the (SHTF) list that’s constantly growing. I’ve taken that to the next level including notes on the list on how long certain items will last so I know approximately when they may be needed next.
Prepping for what happened this year has been a challenge, not only did I want and need to focus on was in the apartment but I felt it necessary to also prepare the camper if we needed to bug out, my lady owns property in Texas, about 3000 acres so we had a place to go but needed to ensure we had supplies when we got there. The moral of this is make lists and hang onto them for future reference, you just never know what you’ll need and when.
I constantly have several lists going. Been trying to do more in memos on my phone but can't break the one and paper routine.

My parents spent their younger years living through the Great Depression and WWII, so I picked up many of their habits and processes. The wife (retired RN) and myself live in a somewhat rural area in western Washington, and we know there could be the big Cascadia earthquake sometime, so we have prep down pretty good. Honestly, when the Covid hit, all I really had to do was reload ammunition I had been meaning to get after (not that I didn't have any on hand, seriously?) and get into my library and re-read some good old books like Hemingway and Capstick. The freezer is stocked with protein, but in a pinch, there are deer that wander through the yard on occasion. I make wine and brew beer, so that isn't a big deal. We can fruits and vegetables. PT is covered, and I'm kinda not missing the crowded gyms. We have plenty of serious First Aid stuff thanks to the wife (and my years of wilderness hunting in Montana & Wyoming). The only firearm I have that is not functional is an old Star 9mm project gun that I think may become a decoy anchor at some point. My only lists are my reloading supplies, powders, primers & bullets.

Regards,
Bill

Back