testtest

WWI Trench Raiders

Great article!
I really enjoy the history of war.
That 1911 legacy model may make its way into my collection soon. I really like the basic look.

If they would teach this type of information in history classes in high schools and colleges instead of letting teachers and professors teach their version of what happened, i would hope more students would realize the freedoms we have in the United States of America are not free. They are paid for at a heavy price. That price is paid willingly by men such as Lt. Turner and the rest of the men and women who served and are serving in the Armed Forces.

To go along with the 1911 many preferred the S&W 1917 revolver and the distant second the Colt 1917. As a young boy my Dad's National Guard unit, 27th Div, still had many WW I veteran's in it. When my Dad was commissioned he bought a S&W 1917 from one of the vets as his sidearm. I later carried that handgun in Vietnam as a Tunnel Rat. Oddly, my Army Bn was sent North to replace Marines that went farther North. I was an NCO and was able to get out to trade for things we could use, Seabees had cases of KaBars, Marines had Ice Cream and strangely cases of 1918 .45ACP Trench rounds and tracer rounds! Needless to say I traded things for the trench rounds and a few tracers. The Trench rounds had 3 OO Buckshot stuffed in them. Before that I had only heard of them from the WW I vets and yet, in 1966 the Marines had some from 1918. Great supply chain. These were a development the Trench Raiders had asked for and got!

To go along with the 1911 many preferred the S&W 1917 revolver and the distant second the Colt 1917. As a young boy my Dad's National Guard unit, 27th Div, still had many WW I veteran's in it. When my Dad was commissioned he bought a S&W 1917 from one of the vets as his sidearm. I later carried that handgun in Vietnam as a Tunnel Rat. Oddly, my Army Bn was sent North to replace Marines that went farther North. I was an NCO and was able to get out to trade for things we could use, Seabees had cases of KaBars, Marines had Ice Cream and strangely cases of 1918 .45ACP Trench rounds and tracer rounds! Needless to say I traded things for the trench rounds and a few tracers. The Trench rounds had 3 OO Buckshot stuffed in them. Before that I had only heard of them from the WW I vets and yet, in 1966 the Marines had some from 1918. Great supply chain. These were a development the Trench Raiders had asked for and got!
Thanks for your service. Tunnel Rats eh, I've watched documentaries about you guys and shudder when I saw what you guys had to do. It was also amazing on how the VC constructed these tunnels that sometimes had levels that included hospitals. A good buddy of mine was a crew chief in a dust off unit that flew out of the Cu Chi air base. A few years ago while in Washington DC to visit the Wall, we took a tour of the Spy Museum and they had a mock up of the Cu Chi base with the VC tunnels underneath it. My buddy was stunned, telling all around him "I was stationed at that base, and they had tunnels running underneath it?" A frightening thought to say the least.

Back