testtest

4 Tips for Responsible Concealed Carry

#3...is the REASON I carry, actually.

I have a pro sound company. I do live band concerts, small to medium format (bars, clubs, weddings, county fairs, wineries, festivals, corporate events). Not long ago, the three top targets for mass shootings were:

1. schools
2. churches
3. nightclubs

That was the big driving force behind my getting licensed to carry. I also own rental properties, so that was a (smaller) factor - never know if you're gonna walk in on a domestic situation with a tenant, or a squatter/looter on a property under renovation. And, in all honesty...I wanted to get licensed while politics in this country, and my state (People's Republik of Maryland), still allowed it.

I never drink when I do shows anyway. Never have. We all know "beer goggles" - well, sound guys get "beer ear". We have a couple drinks, think "this sounds AWESOME!!"...and...well, it doesn't. Since I am in control of an entire audience's experience (as well as the band's experience - and, ultimately, our paycheck and return bookings), I just don't drink when I work. I also have to tear down all the equipment, pack it away carefully (about $15k in gear to do each show), and load it all in the truck before driving (potentially 2-3 hours) home.

Before I carried, if I was having a good show, I might have one beer during the last set to counteract all the caffeine I took in to get through the show (so I could sleep when I got home, at 03:30 or so). But now that the docs have told me to cut out caffeine...that's not an issue.

I flat-out don't touch a drink when I'm carrying. Pretty much...I don't drink outside my own home anymore - which is great for my body, and for my budget! Maryland law does not prohibit firearms IN places that serve alcohol, but it DOES prohibit carrying while consuming. Some states...flat out prohibit firearms in establishments that serve, period. Like anything pertaining to EDC...know your local laws.

Back