testtest

How Much Ammo Should I Carry?

As far as old ammo goes, in early 1970s I found in an attic in Florida a 1911 loaded with a full mag we fired it and all rounds went of only on the 7ths round the slide didn't go full lock, and it was most likely for a tired mag spring, don't know how long the 1911 was in that attic, along with a Samurai Katana, got big $$$$ on that one LOL.

As far as old ammo goes, in early 1970s I found in an attic in Florida a 1911 loaded with a full mag we fired it and all rounds went of only on the 7ths round the slide didn't go full lock, and it was most likely for a tired mag spring, don't know how long the 1911 was in that attic, along with a Samurai Katana, got big $$$$ on that one LOL.
As recently as the early 2000’s, I fired British .303 surplus from the 1920’s...old enough that it had sticks of cordite, not grains of powder, as a propellant.

Well, I am "untactical" so I don't typically carry an extra mag. I do rotate my mags from time to time, but make do with the 13+1 in my XD Mod.2 SC.

Now, when we're going on a road trip? Different story. It's my XD and Mrs. Untactical's Glock 43X with spare mags for both. Usually have some FMJ and JHP boxed and packed as well. Finally, there's a better than even chance we'll have an AR along with a half-dozen loaded 30-round P-MAGs and some extra .223 and/or 5.56 just in case.

On those trips I usually remind the Mrs. that woe betide the unwise individual who might make the decision to come at us 😉

My shield 45 holds 7 + 1 so I always carry that plus one extra full mag. 15 rounds isn't a whole lot but I've shot my Shield a lot in practice and I seem to just shoot more accurately with a 45. If I'm carrying of my 9mms, it's always a full pistol with an extra mag.

Those Shields .45s are great, I find myself picking it up instead of my Colt Defender, a few oz. less.

Always carry 2 spare magazines, either for the full XDM or it's smaller sibling.

Little Sister Big Sister.jpg

I'm chided by friends (most of whom are CC's too) about my two mag minimum rule, precisely because I believe that magazines are the weakest and most probable point in the event of a failure. Since my primary CCW is a SIG P365, and I carry the gun with its 10 round mag, because keeping the 12 round in place prints at times. The 2 spares are both 12 rounders. So with the 10 + 1 in the gun, I'm carrying 35 rounds on me. I'd much rather carry more and need less than carry less and need more.
Prior to the Scamdemic, I would run a box (20 rounds) of my preferred defense ammo, Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr, once a month. Now, I'm not, simply because it's difficult to find, and the scalpers prices offends the hell out of me.
I've tweaked my reloads to resemble my CC ammo, but it's only close. Even though I've a pretty good stock of components, replacing what I use is problematic as components are also difficult to find right now.
Hopefully, prices and availability will balance out soon. There's really no telling when we will return to pre-scamdemic availability. Prices may drop, but I doubt it will ever go back to pre Scamdemic prices.
With the most Anti-2nd Amendment regime in power in our nation's history, times are unpredictable, but I suspect we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg for what's to come.
Sadly, I believe Civil War is inevitable now. If that's true, I would prefer we get it over with.
Our nation cannot stand with a Political Party in control that has egregiously violated their oaths to "Protect and Defend the US Constitution."

Back