testtest

An Automatic Folder? Bear & Son OPS Bold Action

Nice! Nice price on that, too...

Of course, autos aren’t legal everywhere, so folks will have to check with their local/state laws before purchasing...for example, I can own an automatic here in MN, but I can’t carry it, except under special circumstances.

Nice knife, and I like the two-tone scales. One thing I noticed is the pocket clip in the photos accompanying the posted article show it as black w/company logo. The knife shown in the video at their site is a plain, grayish/metal color. They also have a disclaimer that they do not ship the auto-folder outside the state of Alabama, but they do provide a list of retailers, which I haven't perused yet.

Here in Illinois we don't have full state exemption so we have to be careful where we carry auto knives in the state. Also , even where legal to carry , there are sometimes blade length laws of 3 inches or less required.

As Hans stated , check your state and local laws if you are thinking about or already own an auto knife.

Good article Mike. I have a few nice knives that I carry and have in certain places if needed. I did see something in the picture from Mike’s article and a picture from the company website, a slight difference in the blade.
E9375DA8-B053-43DB-9E6E-0A6F137BF171.jpeg
2E08DDC4-59A7-4E28-BF51-A021DB2657C6.jpeg

I have carried a knife of some kind or another since I was 9 years old and use them every day for some reason. I just can not like the tanto point on a blade. I like a plain drop point blade.

The brand looks like a very well made knife though.

3-3/4″ Rosewood Automatic Lockback with Metal Belt Clip – 2A08R is the Bear I'm considering but can't find anyone who has one to quiz on the quality.

That's a good looking knife.

Fortunately I live in a free state. I can own and carry pretty much anything I want.

Prior to a few years ago in order to own an "auto" you had to get a collectors license from the County sheriff.

Fortunately, that wasn't difficult, and a moot point now.

Good article Mike. I have a few nice knives that I carry and have in certain places if needed. I did see something in the picture from Mike’s article and a picture from the company website, a slight difference in the blade. View attachment 10886View attachment 10887

There are different "Bold Action" models. The knife in the article is on their website, but you have to go back to the article and use the exact model number the author was talking about.

Price point is similar to the Benchmade Bugout. Benchmade is S30V though which is slightly better steel.

I rather like the model with white bone handle, a bit of flair, can see one of these in my future, but probably not before I get a full size Ultratech

Last edited:
I rather like the model with white bone handle, a bit of flair, can see one of these in my future, but probably not before I get a full size Ultratech
I agonized last week for about 4 days over whether to get a full size Ultratech. Ultimately I decided to get a Bugout and a Casbah instead. The Ultratech may or may not come later. I'm actually pretty happy with the size of the UTX-85. The blade on the Ultratech isn't much longer.

I agonized last week for about 4 days over whether to get a full size Ultratech. Ultimately I decided to get a Bugout and a Casbah instead. The Ultratech may or may not come later. I'm actually pretty happy with the size of the UTX-85. The blade on the Ultratech isn't much longer.
Yeah I have agonized over it too, but it's just so cool. And I always hear how bad things come in threes, so cool chit should too lol. Besides I am just plain running out of pockets. I gave away the bulk of my collection last year to my nephews, probably 300 blades of various type I collected over the years. Got the Cricket, the Bugout, several Bolt actions and the Microtecs for carry blades. I am happy with that, kinda sorta... so big brother would kind of round and finish it all off.

20221119_161528.jpg

Last edited:
My only auto is a Benchmade BM9050SBK AFO (serrated) (now discontinued). Although, I do have a CRKT My Tighe CR-1091KB (serrated)(assisted opening) (also discontinued) that serves a similar role in my kit.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2JuY2htZC9pbWFnZXMvOTA1MHNiay5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDc2MCwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDI1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

CRKT My Tighe CR-1091KB

CR-1091K.jpg

You are going to.like that Bugout it is feather light and cuts like blade much larger and heavier.
I already do love it. I almost got the regular Bugout, but I'm glad I got the mini. The blade size is almost the same. It fits nice in the hand, kinda like the UTX-85. It opens fast and that Axis lock is killer.
The Casbah is a nice knife. It doesn't open quite as fast as my Bokers, but it's far better made.

That said, I think you talked me into a Ultratech earlier too. This one will have either a Tanto or a Dagger blade though.

I see that Bugout being in my pocket a lot.

Back