testtest

XD-M Elite 5.25: The Best Competition-Ready 9mm?

I've been running the Elite's predecessor, the Competition for a few years now and they're nice pistols.

Infact, I like my first one so much I picked up a second, and have no problems using this model as my standard 9mm self-defense handgun.

My .02

Last edited:
I've been running the Elite's predecessor, the Competition for a few years now and they're nice pistols.

Infact, I like my first one so much I picked up a second, and have no problems using this model as my standard 9mm self-defense handgun.

My .02
This gun is really fun and comfortable to shot too. Holds up well with my buddies that do competition. I asked one of my friends to use this gun for competition over his 2011. He actually took 2nd place with it factory as is. His 2011 had a bunch of added features so for him taking 2nd I was impressed. He loved the gun so much he actually went out a bought one. Now he has been running me through drills and such and we both are using our XDM Elites.

Last edited:
This hun is really fun and comfortable to shot too. He loved the hun so much he actually went out a bought one.
Lol, bet your using an IOS device, I have one of the original XDm’s 4.5 in 9mm, this by far is my favorite gun to take out to the range. I have owned this since 2009, has hundreds of rounds, not one issue with it.

Edit: Why I said an IOS device, cause when you type gun, it puts in hun at times, gotta love spell check and auto insert on Apple devices.

Lol, bet your using an IOS device, I have one of the original XDm’s 4.5 in 9mm, this by far is my favorite gun to take out to the range. I have owned this since 2009, has hundreds of rounds, not one issue with it.
Yea darn IOS got me on that one lol. I edited now thanks. My original XDM was a .45 ACP got it after my father passed away in memory of him. I am a huge fan of the XDM line.

I looked at getting an Elite when it came out but I didn't see the few improvements over the previous Competition model as worth going with the newer model.

But for someone looking at the Elite it's a nice pistol.

After having owned two of the 1st gen XDm 5.25 pistols, and selling them, I decided to take the plunge again when the XDm Elite came to market and I'm sure glad I did. Not that there was anything spectacularly wrong with the 1st Gen XDm's that I owned, it just comes down to the fact that any issue I had with the 1st gen XDm pistols was resolved with the arrival of the Elite.

r8krFUDl.jpg

^^ Who can argue with that?

Almost all my gripes were with the trigger... The weight of course, over-travel and reset. With both of the 1st gen XDm 5.25 competition pistols, what I got were triggers that were lacking in these aspects, and found that many of the standard XDm pistols had better triggers than the "competition" guns I bought. Yes, I could have bought an aftermarket trigger like the PRP, but it just plain bugged me that they didn't even try.

When I read that SA finally came out with a "competition" version with a trigger worthy of the name, I just had to try again, and I'm glad I did. The Elite trigger has a lower pull weight, almost no over-travel and a short reset (not to mention the increased capacity), so my gripes have been addressed.

Yours truly,

Supreme Trigger Snob

Last edited:
What kinda improvements were you looking for?

You missed my point..."I didn't see the few improvements over the previous Competition model as worth going with the newer model."

The only improvments in the Elite over the Competition are the slightly improved trigger and the ambidextrous slide release (which I really don't need).

The cosmetic differences are just that, and the extra mag capacity is nice but I can use (and do use) the greater capacity Elite mags in my Competition. The removeable mag well is abit of a wash.

So, all that being said I realized it wasn't worth another buy & $$ for a couple nice-to-have improvements over what I was used to with my Competitions.

If I was starting out fresh then the Elite would be a good purchase with the extra features. And there's nothing wrong with the Competition.

My .02

You missed my point..."I didn't see the few improvements over the previous Competition model as worth going with the newer model."

The only improvments in the Elite over the Competition are the slightly improved trigger and the ambidextrous slide release (which I really don't need).

The cosmetic differences are just that, and the extra mag capacity is nice but I can use (and do use) the greater capacity Elite mags in my Competition. The removeable mag well is abit of a wash.

So, all that being said I realized it wasn't worth another buy & $$ for a couple nice-to-have improvements over what I was used to with my Competitions.

If I was starting out fresh then the Elite would be a good purchase with the extra features. And there's nothing wrong with the Competition.

My .02
Gotcha, I thought you were looking for more. I miss understood my apologies.

Back