testtest

6 Best Revolvers for Concealed Carry

They didn't mention the Ruger sp101, it's built like a tank, heavy enough 357s are manageable and incredibly accurate even in a 2.25" barrel. I carry mine aiwb in a leather azula holster. It's so small and comfortable to carry I forget it's even there.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Huh—Ruger must be “donating” a whole bunch of cash to the NRA at this time...because the LCR being “the most prolific modern concealed carry revolver” is factually incorrect, and sloppy journalism to boot.

The writer acts like the only J-frames S&W makes is the Airweight .38's (442/642)...hate to break it to Mr. Workman, but S&W makes J frames in everything from .22LR to .357 Magnum...the only caliber that they aren’t making them in currently is .327 Federal...but they did make them.

Let alone that you can get J-frames in the super lightweight PD series (Scandium frame, Titanium cylinder) standard Airweght (Scandium/steel) or all stainless...weights from 10.5oz and up. Hammerless, standard hammer, spurless hammer, and shrouded hammer options, too...somebody got paid off.

I'll make my own list in a bit.

Good points @HansGruber. I agree, to me S&W is/has produced some of the best ccw revolvers out. I did buy an LCR 357 when they hit the shelves. I liked it, however not fun to shoot, albeit not a range gun. I had a revolver in 327 mag and I really like the ballistics on that cartridge. For a carry revolver depending on budget, with Taurus moving to GA, hopefully they will have better products/support but Taurus and Charter Arms for a basic revolver then S&W and Ruger (SP101) would be a good choice. Going tiny you could do NAA in a 22 mag.

Good points @HansGruber. I agree, to me S&W is/has produced some of the best ccw revolvers out. I did buy an LCR 357 when they hit the shelves. I liked it, however not fun to shoot, albeit not a range gun. I had a revolver in 327 mag and I really like the ballistics on that cartridge. For a carry revolver depending on budget, with Taurus moving to GA, hopefully they will have better products/support but Taurus and Charter Arms for a basic revolver then S&W and Ruger (SP101) would be a good choice. Going tiny you could do NAA in a 22 mag.

The thing is...for what you pay for a new Taurus?

You can find a lightly used (as in, carried much, shot little) J-frame for the same money.

My first snubby was a LCR .38; I shot it, and thought all the usual things about snubs...inaccurate, hard to shoot, etc. Then a buddy said to try his 340...and the world shifted. Don’t know if it's the grip (LCR’s sit really high in my hands), but it was just night & day. I dumped the LCR, got a S&W 640, and haven’t looked back.

I've probably got 8 or 9 J-frames now; I have a bad habit of finding one for “too good of a price to pass up”, and bringing it home with me.

My model 36 and I will continue to go on walks together once in a while. My XDs .45 gets most of my attention though.

I did have a Charter Arms .38 snubby in the early 80's that was very accurate and was well made. It was the under cover model I think. I wish I still had it.

S&W 642 is a nice snubby. It is accurate in the right hands, dependable and can be conveniently pocket carried. I like them.

I even like shooting them for pleasure, although I completely understand people using them as a purpose-driven choice that rarely is fired.

My wife has a 642, I have a 442 that is my EDC, and she can not stand shooting it, but loves it for what it’s for. She’s confident of her use and the gun’s stopping power. And I love knowing she can just point and shoot with nothing to hang and no procedures to go through when she needs it.

For me, it cannot be beaten. That said, the scandium .357 is hard to beat, too.

The thing is...for what you pay for a new Taurus?

You can find a lightly used (as in, carried much, shot little) J-frame for the same money.

My first snubby was a LCR .38; I shot it, and thought all the usual things about snubs...inaccurate, hard to shoot, etc. Then a buddy said to try his 340...and the world shifted. Don’t know if it's the grip (LCR’s sit really high in my hands), but it was just night & day. I dumped the LCR, got a S&W 640, and haven’t looked back.

I've probably got 8 or 9 J-frames now; I have a bad habit of finding one for “too good of a price to pass up”, and bringing it home with me.
Absolutely, and great point on the used market. Would much rather go with used S&W over a Taurus, me personally. Not speaking for everyone as I know people that swear by Taurus. And no doubt a snub nose, belly gun is not a bullseye pistol, except in the hands of Bob Munden and Jerry Miculek, of course. I beleive they have there place and serve there purpose and really like them and enjoy shooting them. You bring up some good points though.

Back