testtest

Hands-On with the M1A National Match

Technical differences aside, is there a difference in the precision between the National Match and Super Match?

There are actually three variants, of the two models, to consider. SuperMatch (SM) with the fiberglass stock gets you a McMillan fiberglass stock. A SM wood stock gets you an oversized (versus USGI dimensions) stock that meets the NRA and CMP rule book specs for an oversized stock. A National Match (NM) gets you the NM parted/built/bedded rifle in a standard dimension aftermarket wood stock (no selector cutout).

The main difference between the NM and SM barrel is the profile & weight. The NM comes with a medium weight barrel and the SM comes with a heavy barrel. Also, the SM can be had with a Krieger barrel as well. The differences are also that the twist rate is either 1:10 or 1:12. Either can have carbon or stainless barrels, although stainless barrels are much more characteristic of the SM.

The SM stock was oversized to make it more rigid and reduce flexing. The SM McMillan fiberglass stock is even more rigid than the wood stocks.

The SM has a "double-lugged" receiver for more rigidity, and they're bed differently.

If you are shooting your NM competitively, the action will require re-bedding each year due to the design. If you are shooting the SM with the double-lugged received, you will not have to re-bed annually. This is the real difference and why the SM is the go-to rifle for serious M1A match shooters.

Unless you're shooting highmaster scores, you probably are better off buying the NM rifle and shooting that until your skills evolve. SM rifles are *expensive* and offer little benefit to the new shooter.

The SM has also been known to be a bit more finicky when it comes to loads that it likes.

I've liked my NM for several years but don't shoot it much. At the time I got it the cost, it's idiosyncrasies, and my shooting skill level didn't warrent a SM.

My .02

BTW - Nice article on the NM.

Last edited:
There are actually three variants, of the two models, to consider. SuperMatch (SM) with the fiberglass stock gets you a McMillan fiberglass stock. A SM Wood gets you an oversized (versus USGI dimensions) wood stock that meets the NRA and CMP rulebook specs for an oversized stock. A National Match (NM) gets you the NM parted/built/bedded rifle in a standard dimension aftermarket wood stock (no selector cutout).

The main difference between the NM and SM barrel is the profile & weight. The NM comes with a medium weight barrel and the SM comes with a heavy barrel. Also, the SM can be had with a Krieger barrel as well. The differences are also that the twist rate is either 1:10 or 1:12. Either can have carbon vs. stainless barrels.

The SM stock was oversized to make it more rigid and reduce flexing. The SM also can be be had with a McMillan fiberglass stock, which is even more rigid than the wood stocks.

The SM has a "double-lugged" receiver for more rigidity, and they're bed differently.

If you are shooting your NM competitively, the action will require re-bedding each year due to the design. If you are shooting the SM with the double-lugged received, you will not have to re-bed annually. This is the real difference and why the SM is the go-to rifle for serious M1A match shooters.

Unless you're shooting highmaster scores, you probably are better off buying the NM rifle and shooting that until your skills evolve. SM rifles are *expensive* and offer little benefit to the new shooter.

The SM has also been known to be a bit more finicky when it comes to loads that it likes.

I've liked my NM for several years but don't shoot it much. At the time I got it the cost, it's idiosyncrasies, and my shooting skill level didn't warrent a SM.

My .02

BTW - Nice article on the NM.
Cool, thanks for the info. I've had a couple loadeds but never stepped up to the premium lines.

Thanks Talyn. Perhaps you should write the descriptions and nuances of all firearms for Springfields' website They could use that level of detail.

Thanks,

But, I can only comment on my use/experience of those SA products I have had over the last 40 years (M1As, XD/XDms, and older 1911 models), so I'm sure there are others that have others in the SA product line than I.

And I can't say I've have used SA products exclusively since I also tend to look for good products from other manfacturers, and/or build my own when I can find what I'm looking for.

My .02

Last edited:
Perhaps.

My problem would be I'd say it like it is, vs. most reviews that are a lot of happy talk.

Back