testtest

How to Sight In a Red Dot on a Pistol in Less than 5 Minutes

I am 10+yrs familiar w/ firearms and just picked up my first 🔴 handgun, an OSP45. My 3rd xDM.

Sighting in the Dragonfly requires my dot to be at max elevation. I find this strange as other pistol rds’ have never seen a max adjustment in my hands.

I also wonder what elevated sights I’ll now need for a proper
co-witness. .

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Good article Mike. As a lot of folks here know, I’m a big proponent of red dots on pistols and it amazes me how many people make zeroing one much harder than it needs to be. Personally, I don't worry about iron sights and prefer three shots on target from a rest or bag and then adjust elevation and/or windage. Typically, I can zero a red dot in 6 shots and it’s become something I quite enjoy doing. And if you enjoy it, red dots that have to be removed to change the battery don’t become such a chore!

Good article Mike. As a lot of folks here know, I’m a big proponent of red dots on pistols and it amazes me how many people make zeroing one much harder than it needs to be. Personally, I don't worry about iron sights and prefer three shots on target from a rest or bag and then adjust elevation and/or windage. Typically, I can zero a red dot in 6 shots and it’s become something I quite enjoy doing. And if you enjoy it, red dots that have to be removed to change the battery don’t become such a chore!
In my experience 95% of the time the only adjustment you gotta make is elevation, depending on what distance you are zero'ing at. Most of the time the windage is already zero'ed from the factory.

However, I do not subscribe to the "If your irons are on just set the dot accordingly" theory. That's especially true on rifles and shotguns, but it still applies to pistols. It's ok to use it as a starting point maybe, but you should always zero your irons and your dot independently of each other. And I wouldn't zero at 7 yards either. 20-25 is good. Your POI at 10 feet is going to be about an inch different if you zero at 25 yards. If you zero at 7 yards and for some reason need to make a 50 yard shot you're looking at a much bigger difference.

I am a very good shot with iron sights on my pistols so I never thought an optic on a handgun was worth the money, when I purchased my 10mm compact XDM elite which was setup to accept one I decided to take the plunge and I’m very happy I did.
I have no concerns that it doesn’t
co-witnesses with the irons.
It took me about 10 shots to get my POI where my POA was and found my follow up shots was faster with the dot then working to align the two iron sights.
I have no interest in having the slides machined on my other handguns to accept an optic however if Springfield decides to offer an optic ready slide and barrel combo for my XDM 45ACP 4.5 I’ll be the first in line to purchase.

I am a very good shot with iron sights on my pistols so I never thought an optic on a handgun was worth the money, when I purchased my 10mm compact XDM elite which was setup to accept one I decided to take the plunge and I’m very happy I did.
I have no concerns that it doesn’t
co-witnesses with the irons.
It took me about 10 shots to get my POI where my POA was and found my follow up shots was faster with the dot then working to align the two iron sights.
I have no interest in having the slides machined on my other handguns to accept an optic however if Springfield decides to offer an optic ready slide and barrel combo for my XDM 45ACP 4.5 I’ll be the first in line to purchase.
The XDM 3.8 45 is what I traded against the OSP because milling my slide plus optic was greater than my $$ trade difference.
Although the dot is spot on after sighting, I think it’s interesting that I need the dot maxed out on elevation. Seems odd to me.

The XDM 3.8 45 is what I traded against the OSP because milling my slide plus optic was greater than my $$ trade difference.
Although the dot is spot on after sighting, I think it’s interesting that I need the dot maxed out on elevation. Seems odd to me.
Agreed

Back