testtest

Should I Appendix Carry?

Sure, but the decision is up to you.

I used to carry at the 4 o'clock position, but was always worried about printing from a larger pistol. I moved to the 3 o'clock position and this minimized printing, but was painful due to a surgery site in that location.

I recently switched to AIWB and really like the ease of concealment and other benefits the author mentions here. I agree with the author that "There are times when I remove the holster from my waistband to reholster the pistol and then stick it back into my waistband." Other trainers mention that holstering and unholstering should be done with care, especially with AIWB and without any need for speed.

If you want to; just be cognizant of the position being utterly unforgiving of negligence in one’s gun handling safety.

Personally, I will only carry a DAO revolver appendix.
That's why I carry a XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact with the added grip safety. I purposely holster with my trigger finger straight along the slide while my thumb is placed on the back of the slide, which engages the grip safety. This technique decreases chance of a negligent discharge.

Let me count the ways in which I can unwittingly perforate myself...
I would add to Gruber's comment, The only way I would carry appendix style is with an unloaded firearm.
But then, I am notoriously fond of all of my soft bits and hydraulic fluid.

There are other, much safer methods of carrying handguns without having to feel pressured by stylish trends.

Let me count the ways in which I can unwittingly perforate myself...
I would add to Gruber's comment, The only way I would carry appendix style is with an unloaded firearm.
But then, I am notoriously fond of all of my soft bits and hydraulic fluid.

There are other, much safer methods of carrying handguns without having to feel pressured by stylish trends.
I also have a very specific routine for “holstering” when carrying appendix.

Gun goes in holster before the holster goes into pants.

Does all this concern regarding appendix carry still hold true if one carries on the 'left side' appendix (yeh, I know, I know) and OWB??? ;):cautious:

Askin' for a friend ......................... maybe !!!
I think that used to be called "cross draw".
For a right-handed shooter, this is actually a solution for those who spend much time seated behind the driver's wheel.
Also, a muzzle down shoulder holster worn on the left side works quite well.
I say this because an American seat belt for the driver buckles on the right and the shoulder strap crosses from left to right.
If physical activity is expected, I suggest strong side carry with an excellent retention holster.
Running with a cross draw or shoulder holster is problematic in my experience.
Of course, the American Calvary used to issue cross draw holsters with a snap down flap to retain the handgun but I don't think that's what you are interested in.
As an aside: When I bought my first Government Model, I also got a flap holster for it. Lots of protection but not too fast on the draw.

I think that used to be called "cross draw".
For a right-handed shooter, this is actually a solution for those who spend much time seated behind the driver's wheel.
Also, a muzzle down shoulder holster worn on the left side works quite well.
I say this because an American seat belt for the driver buckles on the right and the shoulder strap crosses from left to right.
If physical activity is expected, I suggest strong side carry with an excellent retention holster.
Running with a cross draw or shoulder holster is problematic in my experience.
Of course, the American Calvary used to issue cross draw holsters with a snap down flap to retain the handgun but I don't think that's what you are interested in.
As an aside: When I bought my first Government Model, I also got a flap holster for it. Lots of protection but not too fast on the draw.
Thanks, but I was actually kidding. My left side is my strong side and I've been carrying left side OWB as close to a 'left side appendix' as possible for many years. I did try cross draw some time ago but didn't like it for many of the reasons (like seat belt buckle) you mentioned. And I really wasn't asking for a friend ..... that was just to throw off a few chicken pluckers !!!! ;)

Mine is not technically a true 'appendix' carry either. I typically wear jeans and my holster is pushed as far forward as possible up to the first belt loop on the left side at about 11:00-11:30 oclock. I'd need it to go another couple inches forward to be in a true 'opposite side appendix' carry position I guess, but it's been where it is for a long time and seems to work well for me. But then I've never been involved in a 'quick draw' contest either ..... so who knows !!!

As an aside, I hunted for many years with a Thompson Center Contender handgun and carried it in a cross draw shoulder/chest holster. It rode just in front of and just below my right armpit. It had a wide shoulder strap and another narrower strap that wrapped around my back at chest level. It worked well for such a big and heavy handgun.

Again and in all seriousness, thanks for the input.

I have tried to carry AIWB but driving was a pain, that barrel was interfering with... things.
So now I carry IWB, slid towards my right side, about 2 o'clock, barrel tilted back a bit, top of my thigh.
Yes, the seat belt is harder to get on and I would not be able to draw while belted, but it's the only way I can be comfortable.
Maybe is my gut, hey, I'm not perfect!

And of course I always take it out and put it in together with the holster. The only time that gun needs to be out of the holster is when I shoot it.

Back